Bi Polar A.d.a. Ups Accomodation......

:sad-very:WHY IS IT THAT UPS CONTINUES TO NOT RECOGNIZE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES? I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BI POLAR TWO YEARS AFTER STARTING WITH UPS, 11 YEARS AGO. I HAVE REQUESTED REASONABLE ACCOMODATION FOR THE ONLY NON PHYSICAL DISABILITY THAT THE A.D.A. RECOGNIZES. THE ONLY THING THAT UPS HAS DONE IS TRY THERE HARDEST TO GET RID OF THE "CRAZY GUY" AS MY IDIOT SUPERVISOR CALLS ME. WHEN THEY REALIZED THAT I KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING, OVERDISPATCHING MY DAYS BY 4 HRS OR MORE DAILY, SETTING ME UP FOR SERVICE FAILURES BY GEOGRAPHICALY PLACING BUISNESS STOPS THAT ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO DELIVER BY THE COMMIT TIME, CHANGING MY TRUCK FOR A NON POWER STEERING, (WHEN THEY ARE AWARE OF MY SURGERIES, TWO, TO THE SAME SHOULDER), COUNTLESS COMMENTS AND ACTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE AND MADE IN FRONT OF SHOP STEWARDS AND OTHER TEAMSTERS, AS WELL AS ALONE.... I HAVE HAD MY JOB THREATENED AND FEEL LIKE I HAVE HAD A TARGET ON MY BACK. MANAGEMENT HAS OVERSUPERVISED ME WITH HARD RIDES,(THE LATEST I WAS TOLD WOULD BE 15 DAYS IN A ROW) CAMERA AND VIDEO THREATS.. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I AM A LIABILITY TO THE COMPANY BECAUSE I WORK UNSAFE.. ALL OF THIS SAID AFTER HAVING RECIEVED THREE SAFE DRIVING AWARDS, NEVER HAVING AN ACCIDENT OR WORKMANS COMP CASE IN THE 13 YEARS AT UPS... NOW, THE MOST RECENT AND MOST DAMAGING TO MY MENTAL HEALTH, AS WELL AS THE PHYSICAL, DUE TO THE STRESS FROM LOSING MY VEHICLES AND MY HOME... IS THIS. AFTER UPS MANAGMENT DECIDED FOR NO APARENT REASON TO SWAP MY TRUCK FOR ONE WITH NO POWER STEERING, MY SHOULDER BEGAN TO START HURTING.. I TOLD MY SUPERVISOR (IN CHARGE OF SAFETY) THAT I NEEDED MY POWER STEERING BACK. MANAGMENT REPLIED... "WE CANNOT ACCOMODATE EVERYBODY IN THE BUILDING WITH POWER STEERING!" I WAS THEN SENT TO THE COMPANY DOCTOR WHO THEN, DID A HARD BONE EX RAY, NO MRI, ABOUT A 1 MINUTE EVALUATION, THEN TOLD ME THAT MY COURIER AS A UPS DRIVER WAS OVER. HIS CONCLUSION WAS THAT I WAS PERMANENT AND STATIONERY, WITH A 20 LB. NO LIFT, PULL OR PUSHING. (WITH A ZERO PERCENT RATING ON MY SHOULDER) BECAUSE OF THE RESTRICTIONS THAT DOCTOR NUT JOB HAD PLACED ON ME, UPS MANAGMENT, AND GALLAGER BASSET SAID THAT I COULDNT WORK. I URGE ALL DRIVERS TO HAVE A DR. ON FILE SO THAT YOU ARE NOT AT THE MERCY OF THE COMPANY DR. THESE COMPANY DOCTORS DO WHATEVER UPS TELLS THEM TO DO. A TOOL THAT IS USED TO WEED OUT THE EMPLOYEES THAT REQUEST ACCOMODATION FOR WHAT EVER REASONS THAT THEY MAY HAVE.
I HAD TO FIGHT TO RETURN TO WORK WITH.. UPS, GALLAGER BASSET,WORKERS COMP LAWYERS, AND THE WORKERS COMP BOARD. I AM WELL EDUCATED ON THE WORMANS COMP LAWS AFTER ALL OF THIS. I HAVE BEEN BACK TO WORK NOW FOR ONE MONTH. I HAVE ADVISED OUR NEW CENTER MANAGER ABOUT MY DAILY STRUGGLES AND CHALLENGES THAT I FACE, HAVING THE DISEASE OF BI POLAR. AND ASKING FOR THE SIMPLE ACCOMADTION OF NEEDING AN 8 HR. DISPATCH FOR 1 DAY A WEEK FOR MEDICATION MANAGMENT, AND TO SEE MY MENTAL HEALTH CARE DR. MY MANAGER SMILED AND SAID WE ARE HERE FOR YOU! TWO DAYS LATER, THEY ARE BACK TO THEIR SAME... OLD.... TRICKS!!! I HAVE NEVER HAD WORKED FOR A COMPANY WHERE MANAGMENT IS SO EVIL IN MY LIFE!
IF THERE IS ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT HAS RECIEVED THIS TYPE OF TREATMENT OR DISCRIMINATION DUE TO HAVING BI POLAR PLEASE MAIL ME BACK. YOUR NOT ALONE. UPS MUST, BY FEDERAL LAW ACKNOWLEDGE THIS DISEASE AND ACCOMODATE PER A.D.A. LAWS. THANK GOD WE HAVE A GOVERMENT AGENCY IN OUR CORNER.. AND THANK GOD FOR THE TEAMSTERS, WHO THROUGH ALL OF THIS, HAVE BEEN THERE FOR ME.:dissapointed:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Quit shouting firstly.

Yes, bi-polar is a very difficult disorder to deal with, depending on the extent and amount of dehabilitation. Are you on higher doses of medication? such as lamactil, seroquel, etc? I'm suprised you're allowed to drive a truck if so. They are very effective in treating the illness, but also could seriously impair your driving and your work ability. Simply because you have safe driving for so many years does not mean you are not a liability, over and above the norm, especially within a service-related company driving a vehicle..

I personally have never been diagnosed nor evaluated for any personality disorder or condition. My girlfriend is mildly bi-polar, and is not umm entirely discrete with her medication, and I understand the effects of different medications. :whiteflag:

Good luck to you in the future!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Why would you think that they would recognize your disability any more than a driver who has had back surgery, neck surgery etc? These are well known afflictions, and these drivers do not get any accomodations and are often struggling to make their appointments also. and Mental health issues, although many have them, is not easily accepted by many as a "real " condition. And some tend to make fun of it as a non issue. Having had a sister and mother with bi polar, I understand how real it is.

There was a driver I once worked with, who was severely bi polar. I went to help him one day as he was struggling on a new medication I think it was depakote. He was shaking and sweating, and I recognized the signs. He finally told me what was wrong, but no one understood and treated him as the crazy guy. He got robbed one day, he was on the route I am on now. He got his throat cut, and management made the joke that he cut his own throat to get out of working. He no longer works at UPS, he couldnt adjust his illness with his stressful job. So I wish you luck. You may want to check with the ADA, actually tell them what you have told us, and be ready to give names. or call the 1800 number. But dont expect help without someone pressuring them to adhere to laws.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No that does not mean you are bi polar. Give the poster a break, they are asking for advice, maybe they didnt realize they were shouting.

helenofcalifornia

Props to you for working at UPS with that disease.
And Tooner is right when she said why would UPS recognize your illness and dispatch for it, when UPS sure doesn't do that for any other illness or disabilibty. Good luck.

Maybe I'm bi-polar. I saw all caps and just skipped reading it.
Santa, did you read Tooners post(it wasn't all in caps)?
Your comment falls under the "And some tend to make fun of it as a non issue" heading. I assure you Bi-polar is a real issue that you and I can thank God we do not have to deal with.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I think it is great that you are overcoming that condition, and that they are trying to work with you. I believe that some of the other times they seem to ignore your condition is just an oversight as they have many other people working for them. I have people in my unit with special diets and sometimes I forget that because of other pressing issues. I get them their food for the drill, and just do my best. Hang in there...

tieguy

Banned
I don't see where you have made your case of discrimination. Some innapropriate comments from management yes. Saying the package car with no power steering was assigned to you for being bi-polar no. The company is in the process of flip flopping a lot of cars and tractors for fuel reasons.

Could you clarify what reasonable accomadation you requested for your bi-polar condition? a pkg car with power steering would not be a related RA for a mental disorder.

Recieving three safe driving awards in 13 years does not make you a safe employee in fact its pretty bad. How is it you have worked there 13 years, never had an accident and yet only have three safe driving awards?

Looks like you're also asking for reasonable accomadation for your shoulder surgeries in addition to your bi-polar condition.

Your post sounds intelligent at times and you then follow it up with blatant spelling mistakes like courier for career. And its odd that we still have a poster in caps. Most people have had computers for quite a while and understand the rule on caps.

As Ricky would say "lucy you have some splainin to do"

UPS Lifer

When I see a new poster who is looking for others with the same or similar problems and quotes things about Federal law and discrimination.. yada yada yada - I see TROLL & snake lawyers all over this.

I say we hook him up with Grrrrrrifff and let the two of them posture for "Top Internet Tough Guy"! LOL!

moreluck

golden ticket member
If you've ever smashed a finger ,call Larry H. Parker today. He will get your .......oops...., I mean he will get you money. :wink2: