Big news next week?

jmeti000

I asked SM about this yesterday, he said this is the announcement. Anyone who wants this service will pay ten bucks. Also, cannot upgrade, so an SOS/XS/2D cannot have an appt. before end of P1 cycle. Will be two hour window, and couriers will not have to stay out later than usual to deliver an appt pkg. If the appt is late, will be given to PUP routes (like they aren't busy enough already), or given to a route which has to drive through the area during RTB. Sounds good, but will most likely be a disaster like most theings they develop.

Wow, thats not what we were told. We were told that since its rolling out so fast we wont have time to hire and train the PTers needed to make those late deliveries for the first few months and we will be expected to take up the slack at sacrifice (what a suprise). The SR also said there is no real plan in place, it was just some great fantistic idea that everyone thought was wonderful , the company needed to evolve, bla bla bla, so they pushed to get it out there to the public before any of the logistics were worked out. All I have to say is so much for route goals, Fedex is SUCH a wonderful company (sarcasm here), and bbsam...all the overtime is going to come from couriers being onroad while they wait for that late delivery appointment, especially for those delivering in rural/extended areas that are at least an hour or more away.

MAKAVELI

I asked SM about this yesterday, he said this is the announcement. Anyone who wants this service will pay ten bucks. Also, cannot upgrade, so an SOS/XS/2D cannot have an appt. before end of P1 cycle. Will be two hour window, and couriers will not have to stay out later than usual to deliver an appt pkg. If the appt is late, will be given to PUP routes (like they aren't busy enough already), or given to a route which has to drive through the area during RTB. Sounds good, but will most likely be a disaster like most theings they develop.

Wow, thats not what we were told. We were told that since its rolling out so fast we wont have time to hire and train the PTers needed to make those late deliveries for the first few months and we will be expected to take up the slack at sacrifice (what a suprise). The SR also said there is no real plan in place, it was just some great fantistic idea that everyone thought was wonderful , the company needed to evolve, bla bla bla, so they pushed to get it out there to the public before any of the logistics were worked out. All I have to say is so much for route goals, Fedex is SUCH a wonderful company (sarcasm here), and bbsam...all the overtime is going to come from couriers being onroad while they wait for that late delivery appointment, especially for those delivering in rural/extended areas that are at least an hour or more away.
Yeah this is a brilliant idea pay that Courier $30 an hour in OT to make $5 on that package. And they wonder why Express is losing money.

vantexan

Yeah this is a brilliant idea pay that Courier $30 an hour in OT to make $5 on that package. And they wonder why Express is losing money.

Is Express losing money? All I know is due to taking a personal day last week I only got 35 hrs and for months now have been getting less than 40 most weeks. I'll gladly deliver these late stops.

MAKAVELI

Is Express losing money? All I know is due to taking a personal day last week I only got 35 hrs and for months now have been getting less than 40 most weeks. I'll gladly deliver these late stops.
I'll gladly take the ot as well. But does it make sense to pay a courier an extra $30 to del a pkg that they are only charging an extra $5 for. You do the math. Just another :censored2: idea that will lose money. One of many to bring profits down even further.

STFXG

It's worth it if it brings over customers from the competition that will also pay for other services...

Rhoderunner

Where the $5 bucks come from? Haven't heard anything on pricing yet. I doubt a appointment delivery between 5 and 8 PM is only gonna be 5 bucks more.

TUT

I highly doubt that it's going to bring customers over from competitors.

These timed services to date haven't hit significant volumes for any carrier from feedback I've rec'd. Customers have to know or even care about it. To me it's a lot of effort, a lot of worries for something that hasn't been a hit for either carrier yet. Maybe these are services they think they may need in the future if things like Same Day from WalMart/Amazon etc really take off, I dunno. Marketing has a job, these people have to do something, this is what they dream up. It makes some sense that there would be a need and all of that, but it's a sloooow burn.

To be honest, there could be less shipping options and not more, the consumer can adjust, for example "I'm looking at you COD". They are a pain and if you can't pay two days earlier on a CC, why can you really on COD? And time and time again, same people. Why pay an extra ~10 dollars in two days vs save that fee just using a CC? Cod was good in the 70's and 80's when there was no good way to pay company to company online. Another, there could be less package scans at your .coms, because more scans can cause more concerns to a recipient who stares to long. Package Picked up. Package In Route. Package on it's way to Final Delivery. Package Delivered. There is your data. But no, with all these city names on intermediary movements and if something looks odd... Customer service call. Does no one no good.

Last edited:

STFXG

I'm smart enough to not stay in a dead end job. What's your excuse SPH?

You all complain about hours being cut, but complain when a new service is added that will give you more work. Be consistent in your griping.

bbsam

Staff member

You all complain about hours being cut, but complain when a new service is added that will give you more work. Be consistent in your griping.

Could be he just has sand in his va-jay-jay. :)

MAKAVELI

Oh I'm not complaining I'll take the hours alright just pointing out how stupid of an idea it is. FedEx is not Apple and they have run out of good ideas long time ago.