Big oil

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So what. It’s a car. A to b. It doesn’t increase penis size, it doesn’t affect testosterone.
Maybe these dumb kids are evolving past you?
You can just go chill in your bunker with all the canned food, guns, and f350s you can handle
Your priorities are remarkable. Kids are into keeping their noses pointed at their phones, nothing more. Internalizing everything to a crisis point, no real world experiences, emotionally dependent on social media.

"This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper." T.S.Eliot

vantexan

Just your feelings. That’s about it. Take the initiative and become less reliant on gas if you can’t afford it
You live in a bubble. Most people don't make the kind of money you do and would be severely hurt financially if they're shelling out $4+ a gallon, with talk of it going much higher.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Something to keep in mind. The only major US rare earth minerals miner is MP Materials which has to send it's ore to China for processing. Not defending Big O and EV's are the future whether the pundits like it or not but we are not well positioned when it comes to the REM's needed to power the EV conversion and Europe is even worse off. At the same time however 2035 seems to be the widely accepted cut off date for oil fueled car production. Airplanes and consumer goods will still require oil for the foreseeable future.
That’s a great point man. Have you seen collapse? That guy put it into perspective for me. We’re not just talking about cars that need oil. Our ENTIRE SOCIETY is built around this substance. It’s going to HINDER OUR PROGRESS.
The whole 2035 thing, that’s all well and good. It’s difficult to trust manufactured numbers of any kind these days. All I know is in my lifetime specifically, the scale on this battle has tipped, and action of SOME KIND is certainly required.
I’m not intelligent enough to discuss specific disbursement ideas. I just know that ultimately, heading into that direction is the right thing to do.
Also, I bought my first house 5 minutes from the center and own my 2015 Liberty that gets 25 mpg outright. Gas prices don’t bother me.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Something to keep in mind. The only major US rare earth minerals miner is MP Materials which has to send it's ore to China for processing. Not defending Big O and EV's are the future whether the pundits like it or not but we are not well positioned when it comes to the REM's needed to power the EV conversion and Europe is even worse off. At the same time however 2035 seems to be the widely accepted cut off date for oil fueled car production. Airplanes and consumer goods will still require oil for the foreseeable future.

From what I understand we now have a ore processing plant in California that went into operation that uses cleaner processes. China just dumps their waste from rare earth refining into a lake. Not so good for the planet. :no:

Your priorities are remarkable. Kids are into keeping their noses pointed at their phones, nothing more. Internalizing everything to a crisis point, no real world experiences, emotionally dependent on social media.

"This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper." T.S.Eliot
Lol. You wanna get philosophical about a throw away insult? Just “locker room talk” good buddy

bacha29

As Newfie said let the market work it out. Congressmen saying we're within a few years of our destruction is the kind of rhetoric that won't do us any good. If we have hundreds of years worth of oil why must we be completely in electric cars in 15 years? Why not transition with hybrids? Why does it have to be electric? Hydrogen cars give much the same benefit as gas cars without the emissions. No, we must have what we want, have it now, and attack anyone personally who stands in our way.
FCEL and PLUG are the two main players in the hydrogen space. They're making progress but they still have a cost problem which helps to explain their stock price drop of about 40% over the past month or so. Cost has been the problem for decades. Back in the 1960's Allis Chalmers fooled around with a hydrogen fuel cell powered farm tractor prototype but never seemed to get very far with it.

vantexan

FCEL and PLUG are the two main players in the hydrogen space. They're making progress but they still have a cost problem which helps to explain their stock price drop of about 40% over the past month or so. Cost has been the problem for decades. Back in the 1960's Allis Chalmers fooled around with a hydrogen fuel cell powered farm tractor prototype but never seemed to get very far with it.
I think the real reason is hydrogen is the most abundant element on Earth and they haven't figured how to turn a nice profit from it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Right, you’re clinging to possibilities, without taking into consideration the consequences of our actions. Wouldn’t it be wise of us jump ahead of the game and cut our reliance off??? Let the rest of the word fight for that sh**, we have enough blood on our hands, and there are other options. You have to be willing to adjust if it’s gonna happen. That’s what we’re running into here: republicans don’t want to hear we should spend more and be smarter and create other opportunities: it’s about “no let’s be the big dogs and go GET all the oil at all costs and friend everybody else.”
Super tough macho USA stuff, that just isn’t realistic forever
You seem unaware that the rest of the world doesn't respect the sovereignty of any nation that has what they need, and that they will plot and prepare whatever it takes to seize it for themselves. There is no such thing as Isolationism in today's world.

bacha29

You live in a bubble. Most people don't make the kind of money you do and would be severely hurt financially if they're shelling out $4+ a gallon, with talk of it going much higher.
That's the entire point. Oil prices go up and down and are extremely vulnerable to geopolitical events that history has shown create wild price volatility in both directions as we saw last year. Not so much with electric utility rates. Then again living so cheap in Meceeko the upward movement in gas prices should have little to no direct impact on your life.

You seem unaware that the rest of the world doesn't respect the sovereignty of any nation that has what they need, and that they will plot and prepare whatever it takes to seize it for themselves. There is no such thing as Isolationism in today's world.
Right. You’re driven by fear. Not by desire for progression.
Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Are you scared of people coming here to take our oil? Why? You have guns don’t you?
You want our chest to be the puffiest in the world. I get it. Our military budget dictates that will be the case regardless of what we do or don’t do with our oil.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Right. You’re driven by fear. Not by desire for progression.
Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Are you scared of people coming here to take our oil? Why? You have guns don’t you?
You want our chest to be the puffiest in the world. I get it. Our military budget dictates that will be the case regardless of what we do or don’t do with our oil.

The conservative perspective is no more driven by fear than the liberal. Conservatives may be less willing to take risks that could negatively impact something that is currently working, you can say that is driven by fear, and that's legit. Fear of seeing everything that has been built up over thousands of years turn to crap because of reckless charging forward, that's not unreasonable. Liberals are afraid that bad things will happen if we don't act. It's easy for both sides to get stuck in a mode, and why both views are necessary for a healthy society, they just need to balance each other out.

I don't fear technological advance, I embrace it. I'm just not going to get suckered by sleazy salesmanship that the sky is going to fall if I don't buy into uneconomical, unproven technology.

The key to nearly absolute economic independence is personal, or distributed, power generation, and matter manipulation. Those two technologies would make economy almost completely unnecessary. There would be no money to be made on those technologies, and they will make money irrelevant. Government won't develop it because it eliminates their power, and private industry won't for basically the same reason.

Non sequitur

Right, you’re clinging to possibilities, without taking into consideration the consequences of our actions. Wouldn’t it be wise of us jump ahead of the game and cut our reliance off??? Let the rest of the word fight for that sh**, we have enough blood on our hands, and there are other options. You have to be willing to adjust if it’s gonna happen. That’s what we’re running into here: republicans don’t want to hear we should spend more and be smarter and create other opportunities: it’s about “no let’s be the big dogs and go GET all the oil at all costs and friend everybody else.”
Super tough macho USA stuff, that just isn’t realistic forever
A little history lesson for you.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Not picking on you. But the need for oil is directly tied to our military. Until you see a solar powered stealth bomber, cruise missile, Abrams tank, or whatever else our country uses to be best, then there is no use. The end of oil will be a change in military might, not in how we drive to work. Driving to work doesn’t matter if we’re speaking Chinese or Russian or Gas Station habib.

bacha29

The conservative perspective is no more driven by fear than the liberal. Conservatives may be less willing to take risks that could negatively impact something that is currently working, you can say that is driven by fear, and that's legit. Fear of seeing everything that has been built up over thousands of years turn to crap because of reckless charging forward, that's not unreasonable. Liberals are afraid that bad things will happen if we don't act. It's easy for both sides to get stuck in a mode, and why both views are necessary for a healthy society, they just need to balance each other out.

I don't fear technological advance, I embrace it. I'm just not going to get suckered by sleazy salesmanship that the sky is going to fall if I don't buy into uneconomical, unproven technology.

The key to nearly absolute economic independence is personal, or distributed, power generation, and matter manipulation. Those two technologies would make economy almost completely unnecessary. There would be no money to be made on those technologies, and they will make money irrelevant. Government won't develop it because it eliminates their power, and private industry won't for basically the same reason.
The driver behind our efforts to create alternatives to oil is to protect the nation and our global alliances from political blackmail and the more political options available the more successful the policy. Hitler's drive into the Balkans and the Middle East was about fuel and expanded power. The Russians needed Middle Eastern oil far less than the Europe and the West but by gaining influence through dictatorships and kingdoms favorable to Moscow gave the Kremlin political leverage.

And obviously the current war is over technology and intellectual property. What evolves from that war will be the driver of international politics and policy.

Not picking on you. But the need for oil is directly tied to our military. Until you see a solar powered stealth bomber, cruise missile, Abrams tank, or whatever else our country uses to be best, then there is no use. The end of oil will be a change in military might, not in how we drive to work. Driving to work doesn’t matter if we’re speaking Chinese or Russian or Gas Station habib.
You’re absolutely right man. Keeping your point in mind, to me, it makes even more sense to steer away from automobile oil reliance. We need it for EVERYTHING. We don’t NEED it for cars anymore.

People fight over gold and diamonds and that * is everywhere.
Sure, but nothing like the 1850’s after the gold rush. We evolved past the need for physical gold. Sure, you can buy it, steal it, whatever. But it’s apples and oranges. We don’t need gold, we have the federal reserve!

I don’t disagree with anything here. I’m a hard moderate. You are right, that Democrats and liberals prey on fear just as the GOP does, just in different ways. I simply believe the GOP to be the more evil entity. Compassion and progression are not staples of the GOP, unless you’re talking financial breaks for the rich.
I am a person ruled by morality, with no affiliation, critical of the poop I’m fed, trying to insert some reason into the world.
Each of these issues requires specific consideration, and I want to do the right thing for the country, at all times.