Bigger vs Smaller Hub

542thruNthru

I want mine to be my helper sometime.

She just wants to meet me and :censored2: in the ups truck

I'd never let my wife be my helper. It's hard to tell your wife to "Move your fat ass!" Plus I make my helper do everything.

Plus we've already :censored2:ed in the truck back when I was first dating her. It's not all its cracked up to be. Those damn metal floors tear your knees up.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
if I fully commit to UPS, there are two hubs near me that I am considering. One is small and one is in a bigger town with a bigger facility. Are there any pros and cons of either? For example, would there be a better chance of becoming a driver quicker at the bigger hub? Thanks!

What local are you in?

Mine allows part timers to transfer on the basis of educational need.
Meaning, you could choose one, and if you don't like it, take one college class at a university near the other center/hub.

Might be worth looking into. That way you don't ever have to feel like you made the wrong call.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
if I fully commit to UPS, there are two hubs near me that I am considering. One is small and one is in a bigger town with a bigger facility. Are there any pros and cons of either? For example, would there be a better chance of becoming a driver quicker at the bigger hub? Thanks!

I work in a smaller center and from what I hear, its worlds better from the bigger hubs nearby. Another plus of a small center is that they tend to fly under the radar. All of the larger hubs near us attract all sorts of attention from district management while we quietly coast by. As a result, our management team is pretty laid back and has adopted a live and let live attitude, which trickles down to the drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

Small extended centers used to be the place to be to move up fast. Not anymore. Hubs are where you move up faster now and there’s more to choose from. I think that’ll change soon though. Things might go back to how they were. It depends on how much volume we can keep and/or gain to offset Amazon and some other accounts FedEx are about to severely undercut us on to offset Amazon volume. Retirements are a factor too but that depends on the building.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I work in a smallish center, usually 55-65 routes. The volume fluctuates a ton at different points throughout the year. In Feb-Mar anybody who’s been here for a while can go in and get a random lay-off when they have something going on. Which is pretty cool, to be able to walk into the office and tell the old guys “how can we get me a day off? I need it;” and 5 minutes later they’ve moved all us covers around until it happens. I’ve never had a job with that much comradeship.
But when we get heavy, we get our doors blown off and everybody is miserable. Grievances, yelling, the whole 9. We end up dangerously understaffed.
Too big to be small, too small to be big.
That being said, I for the most part get left alone and can actually communicate with my sups and even center manager when I need to. From what I’ve read on here, that’s not as easy at a bigger center. And I’m willing to bet that you get away with less at a bigger place because there is naturally more attention on your center due to it’s volume. So....while I can have a day with 4-5 back first exceptions and nobody says a word to me, you could end up with a warning letter somewhere else.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I work in a smallish center, usually 55-65 routes. The volume fluctuates a ton at different points throughout the year. In Feb-Mar anybody who’s been here for a while can go in and get a random lay-off when they have something going on. Which is pretty cool, to be able to walk into the office and tell the old guys “how can we get me a day off? I need it;” and 5 minutes later they’ve moved all us covers around until it happens. I’ve never had a job with that much comradeship.
But when we get heavy, we get our doors blown off and everybody is miserable. Grievances, yelling, the whole 9. We end up dangerously understaffed.
Too big to be small, too small to be big.
That being said, I for the most part get left alone and can actually communicate with my sups and even center manager when I need to. From what I’ve read on here, that’s not as easy at a bigger center. And I’m willing to bet that you get away with less at a bigger place because there is naturally more attention on your center due to it’s volume. So....while I can have a day with 4-5 back first exceptions and nobody says a word to me, you could end up with a warning letter somewhere else.
Your center is huge compared to my 30 ish route center.

Utility81

Last edited:

Utility81

It’s all basically the same. Had a “driver” come up to me on the street from Chattanooga. Asked me how my management team was and if I worked long hours. I’m always paranoid and assumed it was a trap. My management team is fine. My hours have gone down since the new contract and since I got on the 9-5 list. 50% of that was true

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Just returning the favor

No but seriously I would love to have her do this crap for one day.
I keep saying we should have a bring a spouse to work one day just so they can see how it is. My wife had a office job and comes home to complain to me about how she’s exhausted. Meanwhile iv ran 160+ stops in 105degree weather for the past 11-12hrs. That poor poor thing idk how she does it.