Bird Flu

Thebrownblob

Might as well revive this discussion in light of all science has learned about HPAI and its global spread of the last several years.

Avian influenza A(H5N1) is a type of flu virus that usually infects wild birds and can spread to domestic birds and other animals. It occasionally infects people, though it is extremely rare for it to be transmitted from one person to another. Initial
testing shows the virus has not changed in a way to make it more likely to spread among humans.

1711997163968.gif

Next Day Err

Avian influenza A(H5N1) is a type of flu virus that usually infects wild birds and can spread to domestic birds and other animals. It occasionally infects people, though it is extremely rare for it to be transmitted from one person to another. Initial
testing shows the virus has not changed in a way to make it more likely to spread among humans.

View attachment 477821
My aim is not to cause any panic. It’s pretty unlikely a panic will be sparked but it does loom as a possibility.

Some experts say that the 1918 flu virus “cooked” in meat markets in France for over a decade before it’s sparked a global pandemic in the trenches of WW1. We just don’t know what the future may hold.

Thebrownblob

My aim is not to cause any panic. It’s pretty unlikely a panic will be sparked but it does loom as a possibility.

Some experts say that the 1918 flu virus “cooked” in meat markets in France for over a decade before it’s sparked a global pandemic in the trenches of WW1. We just don’t know what the future may hold.
As long as we get two weeks paid off, I’m good with it. That was the best two weeks ever

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
You are lucky it is only warm enough for mosquitoes a couple of weeks a year there.
We have been in such a drought I doubt a mosquito could find a breeding place. The Mississippi is all but dried up running by me. This time of year it should be overflowing its banks.

rod

Retired 22 years
You might need to flush more often.
No flushing in an outhouse. By the way it is still legal (at least in Mn.) to build an outhouse on your property. My brother has one that was built in the 30's--he never had the heart to tear it down. When he built a new garage he also had the contractors rebuild the outhouse. Its quite the conversation piece.

vantexan

No flushing in an outhouse. By the way it is still legal (at least in Mn.) to build an outhouse on your property. My brother has one that was built in the 30's--he never had the heart to tear it down. When he built a new garage he also had the contractors rebuild the outhouse. Its quite the conversation piece.
My dad was telling me that back in the 50's in my hometown most people still had outhouses. In Florida with the bugs it's always a good idea to inspect anything you sit on before doing so. I can only imagine what might crawl on you in the middle of the night here..

Next Day Err

i dont want to lose my parents to flus because of unsafe factory farming
This problem has been in the making for decades. CAFOs have been a disease factory with the chickens finally coming home to roost for humanity… maybe.

Billions of chickens packed in together all over the world… a virus that kills in those situations with such lethality that it never fails to stun farmers and governments… then this H5N1 virus has been adapting to mammals and specifically goats and cattle over the last couple of years…ya know, just the two mammals humanity spends a lot of time interacting with. What could possibly go wrong?

Pray like hell this thing doesn’t lock in the mutations necessary to spread efficiently human to human and attacks lung tissue. Bonus points for it preferentially killing younger workers a la 1918 influenza pandemic. I shudder to think of it.

Next Day Err

It all starts with ducks.

All influenza begins in the intestines of ducks. The virus has moved from intensely packed chicken farms back to wild birds and back to chicken farms and back to wild birds and to mammals like ferrets and cattle. Is it a matter of time before it easily infects and spreads among hogs?

Do you know which animal shares a very similar respiratory tract to pigs?

Humans.

Next Day Err

Bird flu confirmed in Texas worker who had contact with dairy cows

“We know how influenza changes. We need to know, do we have cattle-to-cattle transmission? That means the virus is adapting and it means there are more chances for the virus to change.”

Some of these changes could make the virus more adept at infecting humans, or allow it to jump from person to person.

“We need that information so we can, if needed, respond to an emerging pandemic,” Bender said.

If the virus begins to infect pigs, that would be cause for worry, he added.

“Swine have the ability to mix influenza viruses and they are more similar to humans, so that would be more likely to spill over into humans,”
he said.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Bird Flu was good for my lobster season.
I was able to get some free lobster trap bait.
Dead birds attracted many other bottom dwelling creatures into my traps, which in turn I used to catch lobsters.