Bonus Centers

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Padding stops/ pickups and running up miles. One guy got busted for coding every letter in a drop box as a separate pickup..
You must be mistaken J-man?... Looky here, lol

1640959909642.png

babboo25

Banned
According to the regulars on this forum majority of fellow Teamster UPS drivers who get bonus are dishonest runners, this forum would be so much nicer if there was a posting limit. Most of the bonus haters do not even work in a bonus center but pretend to be experts about it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When something like that happens they usually go in and adjust your numbers so you only make a little in bonus. Containerized allowances for pickups that ship a lot of smalls for example.
That’s not true
It's absolutely true.
According to the regulars on this forum majority of fellow Teamster UPS drivers who get bonus are dishonest runners, this forum would be so much nicer if there was a posting limit. Most of the bonus haters do not even work in a bonus center but pretend to be experts about it.
My whole local of roughly 2,500 UPSer's has been bonus since before I started in 1986....and I am for sure "an expert".

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The guys that deserve bonus are stuck in industrial routes that are consistantly 2 hours overallowed. They might get off early but the work on an hour-by-hour basis is more demanding. Meanwhile someone can work 9 hours sprinting around with envelopes and cleaning out the ups store to bonus half an hour. It's a disgusting system.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The route I currently have would only bonus if you kept up a pace of 28 stops per hour.

Imagine all the sprinting up staircases, wet and stolen parcels that would entail.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The guys that deserve bonus are stuck in industrial routes that are consistantly 2 hours overallowed. They might get off early but the work on an hour-by-hour basis is more demanding. Meanwhile someone can work 9 hours sprinting around with envelopes and cleaning out the ups store to bonus half an hour. It's a disgusting system.
The route I currently have would only bonus if you kept up a pace of 28 stops per hour.

Imagine all the sprinting up staircases, wet and stolen parcels that would entail.
The "Bonus System" enables the Company to arbitrarily and externally assign (outside of our negotiated collective bargaining agreements) separate rates of pay for individual drivers and/or for individual routes and the allowances bonus is tied to is wrought with disparities and inequities.

Bonus is the scourge of any supplement that allows for it and needs to be purged from existence.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
The "Bonus System" enables the Company to arbitrarily and externally negotiate (outside of our collective bargaining agreement) separate rates of pay for individual drivers and/or for individual routes and the allowances bonus is tied to is wrought with disparities and inequities.

Bonus is the scourge of any supplement that allows for it and needs to be purged from existence.
I was driving when bonus was first implemented and worked in both bonus and non bonus centers. The differences between them were like night and day. The first thing UPS did in bonus centers to mess with allowances to reduce potential bonus. And raised the stop counts. Not to mention it became cutthroat with every man for himself instead of being willing to help each out out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My last route in delivery actually had decent allowances, on a good day I'd run 25-50 clicks of bonus. So no I don't think everyone who runs bonus is a dishonest runner. But the guys who consistently run 2-3 hours under are definitely skipping lunch and cutting corners.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not necessarily. Last week I got a fat 300+ bonus on my check and worked a cool 35-39 hours. (dont' want to reveal exact details on here.) I don't run at all. I just work at a steady pace and don't spend it talking to every customer I come in contact with.
No slam to you but I’m my experience most of the drivers who made lots of bonus were total bs’ers and were absolutely running and cutting major corners. There were only a few routes in my old center that had decent allowances and the drivers could move regularly and make bonus…over the years I saw the bonus get cut and whittled down… especially on the heavy industrial routes that had heavy pickups… those runs (where the drivers were literally working their asses off) went from an hour or two bonus to being over by an hour… it was a total dick move by mgt … the whole system is bogus… heard that straight from center mgrs mouth multiple times.

babboo25

Banned
My last route in delivery actually had decent allowances, on a good day I'd run 25-50 clicks of bonus. So no I don't think everyone who runs bonus is a dishonest runner. But the guys who consistently run 2-3 hours under are definitely skipping lunch and cutting corners.
What do you mean by skipping lunch exactly? Not all areas take out 50-60 minutes for lunch.

Wally

No slam to you but I’m my experience most of the drivers who made lots of bonus were total bs’ers and were absolutely running and cutting major corners. There were only a few routes in my old center that had decent allowances and the drivers could move regularly and make bonus…over the years I saw the bonus get cut and whittled down… especially on the heavy industrial routes that had heavy pickups… those runs (where the drivers were literally working their asses off) went from an hour or two bonus to being over by an hour… it was a total dick move by mgt … the whole system is bogus… heard that straight from center mgrs mouth multiple times.
You guys are wrong. You can't count the time working off the clock for free. Bonus guys are shafting the company getting free money!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
What do you mean by skipping lunch exactly? Not all areas take out 50-60 minutes for lunch.

Not trying to side track the thread here but...

GTS has not "automatically" deducted 50-60 minutes for lunch in over 20 years...at least were I work. If you work an area where a settlement was reached with the union/lawsuit, this maybe true, but for everyone else it is not.

If you put in you only took 15 minutes of lunch (I can start a whole other thread on that lie!) then that that is the only unpaid time on your timecard. Once again nothing is automatically deducted.

Overpaid Union Thug

Those of us that actually work in bonus centers typically agree with all of the hate towards bonus runners. Yes, it’s possible to make bonus by following the methods. But it won’t be much and is rare.

babboo25

Banned

GTS has not "automatically" deducted 50-60 minutes for lunch in over 20 years...at least were I work. If you work an area where a settlement was reached with the union/lawsuit, this maybe true, but for everyone else it is not.

If you put in you only took 15 minutes of lunch (I can start a whole other thread on that lie!) then that that is the only unpaid time on your timecard. Once again nothing is automatically deducted.
We are only required to take 1 minute of lunch, if u work 9 hours then I get paid for 8.99, usually take 10 minutes unpaid and 10 paid break.

Wally

Could be in violation of some laws doing that.

In Personette v UPS approximately 1,100 WashingtonState package car drivers won $12 million in a case involving unpaid work off the clock, mostly during their one-hour lunch.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Could be in violation of some laws doing that.

In Personette v UPS approximately 1,100 WashingtonState package car drivers won $12 million in a case involving unpaid work off the clock, mostly during their one-hour lunch.
Cornn vs United Parcel Service Inc cost the Company $87 million for damages realized across 20,000 drivers is California in a 2007 settlement.

....but @Dragon is correct, the Company stopped automatically taking out time for meal periods as a result of the aforementioned settlement.