Boxes

rootbeerman

Im looking for opinions on which company has the worst shipping boxes. In my opinion its avon with the only hub snakes holding the lid on.

old levi's

blank space
ABC even beats Avon. At least Avon will have a lid so if 1 strap survives the contents will be contained. ABC uses no tape and will put one flimsy strap on a huge box. Once the box is deformed, (does that ever happen) merchandise will hemorhage from every possible openining. How about Avon sending 1 small tube in the standard size box. Come on people.

Rod mentioned Chinese cardboard. Many of the smaller boxes of Chinese cardboard are actualy innerpacks that are shipped to the distributor as a gross inside a master carton. These inner packs were never meant to be used as a shipping carton, but guess what.

One side note concerning boxes and straps: When you encounter 2 boxes of Mary Kay strapped together that bottom box will always have a different tracking number. Can you say missed scan? I knew you could.

Sorry for the rant but this subject really pushes my buttons. :whiteflag:

Last edited:

NedFlanders

lol i had a crushed avon box last week. wondered how it could get so mangled. it was refused and of course i found a little tube on the shelf later that day lol.

BigBrownSanta

any company that uses that Chinese cardboard

A couple of weeks ago, I had 4 boxes from Boflex that were packed in that flimsy chinese cardboard. Needless to say the boxes were ripped and torn apart. It took me 5 trips to deliver those packages. 3 to get the boxes on the porch, 1 to get the pieces that fell out of the boxes in my truck, and 1 to backtrack through the yard to pickup the pieces that fell out while carrying the boxes to the porch.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Im looking for opinions on which company has the worst shipping boxes. In my opinion its avon with the only hub snakes holding the lid on.

NO JOKE, on Friday we had billions of those Avon boxes, I was thinking the same thing! Terrible - a lid held on with plastic straps. No interior packaging, they crush & then fall apart. I agree - Avon.

You would figure UPS, when landing a big account, would make sure that the company packaged items according to certain standards? The time doing tape-ups on these things (AT LEAST 15 % OF THEM) has to eat the profit.

Other end of the spectrum? I'll take a truck full of QVC any day - clean packages, and they are so light they appear to be empty.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A couple of weeks ago, I had 4 boxes from Boflex that were packed in that flimsy chinese cardboard. Needless to say the boxes were ripped and torn apart. It took me 5 trips to deliver those packages. 3 to get the boxes on the porch, 1 to get the pieces that fell out of the boxes in my truck, and 1 to backtrack through the yard to pickup the pieces that fell out while carrying the boxes to the porch.

Honestly
If that was my house I would refuse it in a second.
You should have never delivered that to the house.
Sheet it as damaged and RTS it
The chances of something missing in those boxes are pretty high

BigBrownSanta

Honestly

In a perfect world, that might work. But, in my center you have to send a message before sheeting anything as damaged. The wait time for a response is about 10 minutes... that is, if you get a response at all. Then the OMS has to ask a few questions. It has something to do with finding someone to charge the damage to.

I don't have time to wait and those Bowflexes take up valuable space on my truck. I'll deliver them and let the claims process work itself out.

The truth is, they should never have been allowed to enter the system with such cheap packaging.
I'm sure it's calculated into UPS's cost of doing business or else it would be addressed at the beginning of the shipment rather than at the delivery end.

over9five

Staff member
They say the pick-up driver can refuse to take any package that is not boxed properly. Is Avon an exception? If I go to Avon to pick up their feeder with 3000 Avon packages on it, can I refuse to take them all until they're packaged correctly?

over9five

Staff member
One side note concerning boxes and straps: When you encounter 2 boxes of Mary Kay strapped together that bottom box will always have a different tracking number. Can you say missed scan? I knew you could.

What is with that? And why do we let them do it? As a delivery driver, I would always pull the boxes apart to get the second scan, but not everyone knows about that other barcode.
One time I walked into the office, and a very frustrated OMS had one of these. I asked her what was wrong, and she said she'd been looking for an hour but couldn't find another one that should be here. Wow, was she mad when I showed her she had been holding the "other one" the whole time!

And you know the other barcode never gets scanned anywhere else in the system.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly

We were recently told not to sheet anything as damaged but to use Future. This gives the night clerk a chance to rewarp/repackage and then put OFD the following day. This directive came from our District security guru during a PCM. He said the minute that we sheet a pkg as damaged we may as well have written the check to the shipper ourselves because UPS automatically pays if we sheet pkgs as damaged. His words, not mine.

New Englander

In a perfect world, that might work. But, in my center you have to send a message before sheeting anything as damaged. The wait time for a response is about 10 minutes... that is, if you get a response at all. Then the OMS has to ask a few questions. It has something to do with finding someone to charge the damage to.

I don't have time to wait and those Bowflexes take up valuable space on my truck. I'll deliver them and let the claims process work itself out.

The truth is, they should never have been allowed to enter the system with such cheap packaging.
I'm sure it's calculated into UPS's cost of doing business or else it would be addressed at the beginning of the shipment rather than at the delivery end.

It is a perfect world. You control that aspect of it. You message in that it's damaged and your not delivering it. It's pretty simple. Keep the customers in mind.

In our center it get's sheeted as missed instead of damaged on road as it's another way for UPS to manipulate their own system in their favor.