Boxing Day

DS

Fenderbender
HUH? or should I say EH?...I'm not that well off man,I had to take my holiday pay to cover christmas and the mortgage...did I miss something?

over9five

Staff member
Hmmm....maybe it was me that missed something.

Is not Boxing Day celebrated by the well-off exchanging places with the less fortunate? Or the bosses exchanging places with the employees?

Tell us O Canadian Counterparts, what is Boxing Day, and how is it celebrated?

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Is not Boxing Day celebrated by the well-off exchanging places with the less fortunate? Or the bosses exchanging places with the employees?

Tell us O Canadian Counterparts, what is Boxing Day, and how is it celebrated?

Boxing Day is celebrated by going out to go stand in line at some store at 6 a.m. in -30 degree weather in order to get that camera for $10 less than the sticker price.

Boxing Day is also a day to sleep off that hangover from too much Xmas dinner/drinks.

But for me, a worn-out UPSer, it is just a day to sit and relax and do nothing all day. That, in and of itself, is worth more than any gift I could possibly receive.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
No, we US UPSrs don't get boxing day off, although I'm all for it. I, for one, don't even know what it is. Do you Canadians get Dec31st and Jan 1st off? I'm assuming you don't get July 4th off. Speaking of "getting off" the holidays are "the most wonderful time of the year":wink2: I'm all for a "holiday" every week if you know what I mean.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It only seems right to have the day after Xmas off. I would take that over new years eve anyday! Its just not right when it falls middle of the week. Yes I could stay home, but why, and miss all the fun:greedy:

DS

Fenderbender
Here's a list of our paid holidays
New Year´s Day -
Good Friday -

Victoria Day -
Canada Day -
Civic Holiday -(ups pays us,but most co's don't)
Labour Day -
Thanksgiving -(one day,not 2 like the US)

Christmas -
Boxing Day -

traveler

Where next? Venice
What a weird name for a Holiday! What's next ...Ironing Day?

Here's a short history of the day...

Some historians say the holiday developed because servants were required to work on Christmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with gift boxes.

Another theory is that the boxes placed in churches where parishioners deposited coins for the poor were opened and the contents distributed on December 26, which is also the Feast of St. Stephen.

As time went by, Boxing Day gift giving expanded to include those who had rendered a service during the previous year. This tradition survives today as people give presents to tradesmen, mail carriers, doormen, porters, and others who have helped them.

Boxing Day is December 26, the day after Christmas, and is celebrated in Great Britain and in most areas settled by the English (the U.S. is the major exception), including Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

poozer2000

To all of our Canuck friends......Happy Boxing Day !!

and what a lovely day its been relaxing in front of the tv a few beers left over turkey cant believe you folks in the US have to work

hope you all had a good christmas and a good boxing day or st stephens day :peaceful: