Break Time Preload

JustDeliverIt

Hey just wanted to get an opinion on this. In my area we have two girls who always take a 15-17 min break and the entire workgroup were just sick of it. We’ve complained and the full time supes don’t do anything about it bc they’re girls. Our part time is sick of it but says full time won’t issue discipline.

My thought would be to just start taking 15 min breaks myself. And when they tell me I have to come back to work I bring up so and so still on break. And then I say you’re creating a hostile work environment and I’m gonna file a harassment grievance. I’m central region by the way.

Wouldn’t this solve the problem. It would bring to light that this is going on in front of labor manager or building manager. I think the only way it would backfire if they spin the table and say I’m harassing these girls by doing this. What do you think best course is?

Take your allowed break and go back to work. Taking a longer break or doing something stupid is only going to be trouble for you.

This crap will eventually catch up to them. Some supervisor is going to come through there and notice and deal with it. Until they do, it's not your problem. Worry about you and do what your supposed to do.

Ptrunner

I already asked if he was gay. He didn't answer.

Nope not gay. Just trying to make it fair for all the people in our area\building.

In all jokingness aside this thread has created, a few other guys have tried to say I want a longer break too and they were shut down yesterday. All the while they came back 5 mins later then everyone. For people to say mind own business. I just don’t understand they are continually getting an extra break everyday but when we try to do it we get told to come back. How is that not a situation where we should be minding our own business?

542thruNthru

Nope not gay. Just trying to make it fair for all the people in our area\building.

In all jokingness aside this thread has created, a few other guys have tried to say I want a longer break too and they were shut down yesterday. All the while they came back 5 mins later then everyone. For people to say mind own business. I just don’t understand they are continually getting an extra break everyday but when we try to do it we get told to come back. How is that not a situation where we should be minding our own business?

Well next time have this grievance filled out before work. When they tell you to get back to work and not them. Hand it to the sup. See where it goes.
Screenshot_20190629-194406_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

If you want to tell other people what to do, put your letter in. Otherwise just worry about doing your job.

A

Article 3

If you want to tell other people what to do, put your letter in. Otherwise just worry about doing your job.
Maybe I missed it but I didn't read that he was bossing the delinquent workers around.

I did read that favoritism is being displayed in the workplace and as soon as one of the male hourlies gets written up for not being at their work station after break then he can file a grievance and labor charges.

I hope he is documenting all the dates and witnesses when the two goth girlies get extra break time.

Staydryitsraining

Dont work till they work. Someone says something to you about it, show them the example of others not working and say they arent I'm not if it's a problem go get the steward and fight them in the parking lot

Ptrunner

Maybe I missed it but I didn't read that he was bossing the delinquent workers around.

I did read that favoritism is being displayed in the workplace and as soon as one of the male hourlies gets written up for not being at their work station after break then he can file a grievance and labor charges.

I hope he is documenting all the dates and witnesses when the two goth girlies get extra break time.
Thanks this is what I’m looking for. Didnt know if I’d be able to file a grievance on this. Yes I have been documenting last week and half. Just waiting now for some help on this and not wanting to go solo. Most guys are afraid of getting harassed by supes for joining on this.

MattM

Its just the standard 10 min break but what these girls do is just smoke for 15mins and then come back late while their shoot is getting full we’re in a loading area. So we have our own trailers to load and we have to go clean theirs out bc theyre still smoking.
Why are you cleaning their area? Let it pile up. Let the management know the area has no workers. Don't rat them out as far as where they are or how long they've been gone. But let it be known workers aren't in their designated spots.

People say, put your head down and mind your business. But their actions are directly affecting you. It's easier said than done when you end up covering for them daily.

We have a few guys that are slow and not very strong. It always feels like double work. At least those guys are trying. We have a few lazy bums that we won't help out.

But yeah. Play the game. If they're on break and in your same area, go on break too. Or if they are getting busy and need help, don't help. Go on break. Don't cater to their actions.

A

Article 3

Stop it. Just worry about yourself.
It opens up a long history of preferential treatment in our area.

Example #1: In our area, when they were going to fire a male worker for being less than five minutes late (he works another job) over the allotted infractions in x months and continuously, knowingly, allowed a female employee come in to work 15-20 min late, not punch in, and have the second shift oms change her punch time.

She was caught doing it by management and NOTHING was done about it for a span of two weeks.

People were getting warning letters, taken to hearings for attendance issues but "special" people could knowingly steal time (get paid for not being at work by lying), escape all discipline, and it's ok?

I don't think so.

@altstewie , when they start writing other people up for not being in their work area after break you have two choices.

#1) Let dishonest management succeed in their private witch hunt.
or...
#2) If you are a steward you expose the dishonest dispensation of discipline.

Honest workers don't start this fight. The dishonest management does. It's not about gender for us as much as it is about management's integrity, or the lack thereof.

A

Article 3

Thanks this is what I’m looking for. Didnt know if I’d be able to file a grievance on this. Yes I have been documenting last week and half. Just waiting now for some help on this and not wanting to go solo. Most guys are afraid of getting harassed by supes for joining on this.
Never be late coming back from break. It's stealing company time.

Never knowingly allow your integrity to digress even if those around you do. Everyone makes mistakes, just don't do it intentionally because others are.