Bush Asking For Increased Military Powers?

W

wkmac

I heard the booming and rumbling once and thought I too was talking with God. Then I realized I had a bad case of gas!

On a serious note, I do believe God is speaking everyday to us but the problem is we aren't really trying to listen. JMO.

W

wkmac

I do want to bring up something that does peek my interest somewhat. I'm not one to believe the various conspiracies out there concerning Bush and company (blowing up levees)but what I do find of interest is that it seems like every time Bush makes an important speech concerning Iraq and the war on terror shortly thereafter we get major announcements of various new threats and I speak of the current threat to the NYC subways. We also were told a number of attempts were defeated before coming to past but specifics to those were not given and I can understand that somewhat.

I don't so much believe the threats are creations after the fact but what I do believe may be happening is as threats come to light and before public release the Bush adminstration is taking PR advantage to boost it's own position and public opinion in the arena of thought. If this is true and I do believe it could be, I don't like this kind of public manipulation. Now Bush ain't the first as they all do it and had Kerry or Gore been elected you would have seen it too in this or some other issue. I also believe we would have been in the same War with them in the White House so suggesting electing them would have prevented this is meaningless. No amount of argument from anyone will ever convince me otherwise. These clowns all believe the same thing but they speak different words only to fool the dumb masses.

In the previous link to the latest Gore speech Big Al is correct about the media manipulation of selling the sensational as news rather than the fact more of our news coming from the news channels are more op-ed pieces than anything else. Al wants to blame the news and I'm sure Rupert Murdoch is his anti-christ just as Ted Turner is to others. But did Al ever think what the media is doing is a learned trait from covering American Federal politics for all these years. Hey Al, We've met the enemy and it is you, the Washington Beltway crowd! JMO.

T

tieguy

its an interesting argument as Over9 highlighted. Do we believe in the presence of god? If so why would we be disturbed if he chose to speak to potus.Why would speaking to or hearing him speak to us make us some type of religous zealot. Perhaps he also spoke to the many senators on both sides of the fence that strongly agreed we should go to war with these two countries.

Dammor the devil clearly told you to vote against Bush....

D

dannyboy

"The final point I want to make is this: We must ensure that the Internet remains open and accessible to all citizens without any limitation on the ability of individuals to choose the content they wish regardless of the Internet service provider they use to connect to the Worldwide Web. We cannot take this future for granted. We must be prepared to fight for it because some of the same forces of corporate consolidation and control that have distorted the television marketplace have an interest in controlling the Internet marketplace as well."

And after all, "I invented the internet"

Al Gore

S

susiedriver

C. I want Mitt Romney to be our next President. The guy has class.

You assume that there will be an election in 2008, I'm not so sure.

S

susiedriver

wkmac'

I want to address your post that begins:

I do want to bring up something that does peek my interest somewhat. I'm not one to believe the various conspiracies out there concerning Bush and company (blowing up levees)but what I do find of interest is that it seems like every time Bush makes an important speech concerning Iraq and the war on terror shortly thereafter we get major announcements of various new threats and I speak of the current threat to the NYC subways.

but I don't have time at the moment, I'll try later tonight or tomorrw. In the meantime, do you make anything out of the fact that many members of Bush's administration hold dual citizenships?

D

dannyboy

"dBoy,

You ignorant slut, You ignorant slut,"

OOOHHH YEAH baby! DO you bring whips and chains?

d

S

susiedriver

wkmac (and others who have an opinion),

Beside the question of the dual citizenship in th WH, do you have an opinion on the Chinese owning us lock, stock and(leaky)barrel?

M

moreluck

D- Can't focus on the task

friend Doesn't play well with others

A+ riling people up

E

ezrider

And after all, "I invented the internet".

Al Gore

Danny, are you stating that Al gore actually made the statement that he "invented the internet"? Your 100% certain that he's on the record as making that statement? That statement seems to show up every time I hear somebody ripping the guy but when I request a copy of the date and time that he reportedly made such a statement nobody can ever seem to produce clear evidence of it.

Perhaps you could provide some?

M

moreluck

What Gore Said.....
Although Al Gore never claimed to have invented the Internet, he did discuss his role in Internet development in an interview with Wolf Blitzer of Cable News Network. The interview took place on March 9, 1999 during CNN's "Late Edition" show. Specifically, what Gore said was "I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

A cynic might observe that "creating the Internet" and "inventing the Internet" are tantamount to the same exaggeration. But let's look at the entire quote in the context of the colloquy with Blitzer. Here is Blitzer's entire query to Gore:

BLITZER: I want to get to some of the substance of domestic and international issues in a minute, but let's just wrap up a little bit of the politics right now.
Why should Democrats, looking at the Democratic nomination process, support you instead of Bill Bradley, a friend of yours, a former colleague in the Senate? What do you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this process?

Clearly, Blitzer is asking Gore to offer an explanation of how he differs as a politician from other politicians in general, and his rival at the time, Bill Bradley, in particular. Here is Gore's entire response to Blitzer's question:

GORE: Well, I will be offering - I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.
But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

During a quarter century of public service, including most of it long before I came into my current job, I have worked to try to improve the quality of life in our country and in our world. And what I've seen during that experience is an emerging future that's very exciting, about which I'm very optimistic, and toward which I want to lead.

Here Gore appears to have been caught off guard a bit by the question, rambling a bit as he seeks to vocalize a responsive answer. He emphasizes his work during his years in the Congress - Gore served in the House and later the Senate - as well as his leadership on various issues. Perhaps not showing the most elegant variation in words, he mentions "initiative" three times. Clearly his overall message is that he worked hard on a number of issues, and took a leadership position relative to others - presumably including his rival Bradley. The overall thrust is that Gore paints himself as a forward-looking legislator and political leader.

O

ok2bclever

I find it ridiculous how far the legal system has taken the constitution's separation of church and state issue, but then I hear people saying they believe their favorite elected official has not just God's ear, but apparently his mouth as well which justifies everything he decides to do be it invading other countries or bankrupting the nation and it verifies that the founders were correct in their thinking that we needed this constitutional rule.

S

susiedriver

On September 28, 2000, an email jointly signed by Vint Cerf (often called the "father of the Internet") and Robert E. Kahn stated the following:

As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily forgotten, now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial concept. Our work on the Internet started in 1973 and was based on even earlier work that took place in the mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters and other crises.

As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks into an "Interagency Network." Working in a bi-partisan manner with officials in Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush's administrations, Gore secured the passage of the High Performance Computing and Communications Act in 1991. This "Gore Act" supported the National Research and Education Network (NREN) initiative that became one of the major vehicles for the spread of the Internet beyond the field of computer science.

As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out, as well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government agencies that spawned it. He served as the major administration proponent for continued investment in advanced computing and networking and private sector initiatives such as Net Day. He was and is a strong proponent of extending access to the network to schools and libraries. Today, approximately 95% of our nation's schools are on the Internet. Gore provided much-needed political support for the speedy privatization of the Internet when the time arrived for it to become a commercially-driven operation.

While Gore made many contributions to the growth of the internet during his career, the debate over whether he meant to claim to be its sole creator or merely that he took the initiative in congress led to considerable derision. It was a gaffe that Gore would himself later have fun with. On the David Letterman Show, he joked that Americans should vote for him because "I gave you the internet, and I can take it away!"

From Wikipedia link posted below.