busy summer.. crazy peak?

L

Loufan

These last 2 months have been absolutely crazy at my hub. This has been by far the busiest summer I've had here. I've been getting close to peak season hours. 26-29 hours. Last summer I was barely getting 17 hours a week and I never got overtime even on our busy mondays. Last tuesday was a 7.5 hour shift and I was second to go home.
Is everyone this busy? And as crazy as this summer has been does anyone think this peak season is going to be insane?? I have a feeling it is. I'm loving the money though, the hours couldn't come at a better time!

959Nanook

For personal reasons unrelated to UPS, I was comparing my pay stubs from a year ago to this year. Mind you, I am still the bottom driver but I am working nearly twice as many hours/week this year as I was this time last year because we have not replaced a single retirement (three) or termination (one that stuck) since I was hired two years ago and I am the only remaining cover driver in my center (we have two part-time utility drivers that are also getting insane overtime). My supervisor already delivered as many routes this week as I did this week last year. My supervisor and I briefly discussed peak this year... it should be interesting.

Nimnim

The Nim
Just remember to treat your driver helpers with enough respect that they'll put up with you making them carry 5 paper boxes up 3 flights of stairs.

Do that and it won't feel as bad.

lvgolfer962

I keep thinking to myself, "If it's this bad now, how is it going to be during Peak???"

i keep asking myself the same thing. im really getting tired of mngt telling us how slow it is and every driver is working harder and longer than in the past. i used to be able to walk through the truck during the summer, now it a good day if its not stacked up to the roof

tracker2762

I keep thinking to myself, "If it's this bad now, how is it going to be during Peak???"

This is a common discussion in our hub too. They've even asked us to ask customers if they can store package at their location that can be picked up later in the day when we have room. Like that's gonna happen.

Cementups

Box Monkey
A crazy peak never scares me but I've had nightmares about Crazy Eddie.

[video=youtube;2r9JcLnVDt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9JcLnVDt0[/video]

L

Loufan

Today (well yesterday) was the first day in about 3 weeks where we weren't completely destroyed all day. We didn't have hardly any extras but it is friday so I guess anything important was going air instead of ground. We have a pretty early start time monday so I'm expecting monday to be a pretty long shift.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

My hours wont really change during peak; the only bummer is that I wont make any extra money off of the 9.5 grievances. But as soon as peak ends, the free money train will roll again.