But He’s Right Though....

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Hey Fred, I hope you watched the video. Perfect example of “you get what you pay for.”

Or in this case, “You get what you DON’T pay for.”

Have Dano come on here and try to sugarcoat the situation.

My sugar is that you care about it more than Fred does.

Brown Circus

Shh...It’s peak and I’m hunting logic
If they’re anything like our center they’d have used enough tape on that bitch to turn it into a giant ball. Then he could have rolled it up to her door!

SmithBarney

The driver might have a case to sue the homeowner and the news station for recording and airing his conversation without his consent.
No expectation of privacy in a public street. Especially no expectation of privacy when you are shouting in public, guarantee that guy saw the RING doorbell and knew they would hear him, they just didn't know the customer would post it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
No expectation of privacy in a public street. Especially no expectation of privacy when you are shouting in public, guarantee that guy saw the RING doorbell and knew they would hear him, they just didn't know the customer would post it.

He could have had the expectation that the doorbell wouldn't pick him up from the street. That involves amplification, which is one aspect of eavesdropping. If no one else was within earshot he could definitely argue expectation of privacy. Beyond that, the homeowner didn't have the right to turn over the footage to a news organization, nor did the news organization have the right to air it without consent from all parties to the conversation. I'm not claiming to be an expert, I did say he might have a case, especially if his employment was jeopardized by the airing of his conversation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Has no bearing on his case.

It may impact his decision as to whether he should file suit or not.

As was said above, we have no expectation of privacy on a public sidewalk.

Now, the homeowner could have done the right thing by keeping the video "in house" by limiting it's distribution to FedEx. There really was no reason to put this online.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It may impact his decision as to whether he should file suit or not.

As was said above, we have no expectation of privacy on a public sidewalk.

Now, the homeowner could have done the right thing by keeping the video "in house" by limiting it's distribution to FedEx. There really was no reason to put this online.
If the man can go off like that out loud, what filters do you believe he has that would prevent him retaliating in court? Plenty of lawyers would take the case.

59 Dano

If the man can go off like that out loud, what filters do you believe he has that would prevent him retaliating in court? Plenty of lawyers would take the case.

Yes, assuming the Ground guy is willing and able to pony up a good $5000 just to get things started to win a case in which he suffered no damages.

59 Dano

He could have had the expectation that the doorbell wouldn't pick him up from the street. That involves amplification, which is one aspect of eavesdropping. If no one else was within earshot he could definitely argue expectation of privacy. Beyond that, the homeowner didn't have the right to turn over the footage to a news organization, nor did the news organization have the right to air it without consent from all parties to the conversation. I'm not claiming to be an expert, I did say he might have a case, especially if his employment was jeopardized by the airing of his conversation.

He has no case on any planet.

Dave is right - you're in public and shouting. Every other argument is ridiculous. The doorbell didn't capture anything that couldn't be observed by a human standing on the porch. The homeowner can turn it over to anyone she wants. The expectation of privacy legal concept is that a reasonable person would expect privacy in that situation.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Yes, assuming the Ground guy is willing and able to pony up a good $5000 just to get things started to win a case in which he suffered no damages.
But his ability to sue is not impacted. My point.

It’s also why the courts are clogged with frivolous lawsuits.