Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

MAKAVELI

Why? What special insights can they bring to your job? Most get a degree so that they don't have to work like you do.

You would be surprised as to how many of us have our degrees.

That doesn't translate into someone with a degree doing this job better than someone who doesn't. To my knowledge, there is no curriculum available that teaches you work ethic. Either you have it or you don't. Most learn it from their upbringing. I would say that most people that do this or any other labor intensive job that have college educations probably found out sitting behind a desk wasn't for them or gave up trying to get into that field.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Re: Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

I'm kind of curious, would someone with a college degree be considerably better at your job? It doesn't matter who you are or what degrees you hold, your job can't be done without a willingness to work hard. Much harder than most holding degrees will ever work. And if it didn't pay well you'd eventually run out of people willing to do it, something I believe FedEx Ground will run up against. They may never pay UPS pay, but their payroll costs will eventually go up.

A degree tells you, if nothing else, that the person who holds it was organized enough, diligent enough, and so on to jump through the required hoops and do the required work for four years and earn a degree (with a good GPA, hopefully). You know the person took on lots and lots of new information that he had to learn, juggled multiple tasks, developed a sense of time management, learned to work with others, honed his organizational skills, worked and socialized with many different types of people, showed initiative, etc.

That doesn't mean he will do a good job, but it indicates that he's done those things to some extent. If 2 peoples' qualifications were otherwise pretty evenly matched and the only difference is that one had a degree, I'd probably pick the guy with the degree more often than not. It can help you do better at your job, but that doesn't mean it will. As with anything else, how the person applies his knowledge and experience is what matters most.

MAKAVELI

I'm kind of curious, would someone with a college degree be considerably better at your job? It doesn't matter who you are or what degrees you hold, your job can't be done without a willingness to work hard. Much harder than most holding degrees will ever work. And if it didn't pay well you'd eventually run out of people willing to do it, something I believe FedEx Ground will run up against. They may never pay UPS pay, but their payroll costs will eventually go up.

A degree tells you, if nothing else, that the person who holds it was organized enough, diligent enough, and so on to jump through the required hoops and do the required work for four years and earn a degree (with a good GPA, hopefully). You know the person took on lots and lots of new information that he had to learn, juggled multiple tasks, developed a sense of time management, learned to work with others, honed his organizational skills, worked and socialized with many different types of people, showed initiative, etc.

That doesn't mean he will do a good job, but it indicates that he's done those things to some extent. If 2 peoples' qualifications were otherwise pretty evenly matched and the only difference is that one had a degree, I'd probably pick the guy with the degree more often than not. It can help you do better at your job, but that doesn't mean it will. As with anything else, how the person applies his knowledge and experience is what matters most.

When it comes to a job like this or any physical demanding job those skills don't come into play. I don't have a degree but could out hustle most that do. Also it doesn't mean much these days to attain a degree when you can do a lot of requirements online. A degree doesn't tell a perspective employer how hard that person worked in college or if they just did the min and partied most of their time. For this line of work it comes down to prior work and life experience.

EffOff

You can use webmail. Go to the homepage and type in "webmail", then your LDAP password.

What do you mean by the homepage? Do you mean the one you reach if you type in "branch\(employee number)" and then your password? Because that just takes you to the Fedex employee page, and putting "webmail" into the search box doesn't get you anywhere.

Goldilocks

Re: Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

The only problem I have with this is that there are many good people that cant afford a higher education, they were not born with silver spoons in their mouths. They will never be able to show their talents unless starting from the bottom and working their way up. Fedex has given many opportunities for further growth to people otherwise would be working at McDonalds. Some have been horrible but others have been outstanding. They have learned how to work their way to the top. My middle child is an MD, but we could not afford higher out of state education, "She wanted to go to a school that was ranked high in Genetics" So she joined the AF and they paid her way, all her way, thru Bach degree - Med school. In Texas, we have no free tuition like many states the lottery funds education, not in Texas, and she was ranked 6th in her class. She now complains about her patients and her commanding officers. Patients scream and are demanding and commanding officers are degrating her and her fellow Interns. ( I told her I would beat her with the belt if she ever treated a COURIER with disrespect" The point is, everyone goes thru this crap no matter who you are and what you think you are....If you were in a plane that was diving head first, what do you think your thoughts would be about? Not about your degrees, or about Fedex, but about YOUR FAMILY! I dont characterise people by their degrees or what they think they have accomplised but I do however love people with good souls... Now back to our buyouts.....:wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well I would say thats because unions in General are in decline, that is what is making it easier for non union and foreign competition to take away business and lower the wage

About a week ago, I heard a news story that union membership had dropped to 11.3%, the lowest percentage since the 1930's. In many ways, today is a parallel of the early 30's, when workers had to kick some management ass to get their fair share.

Speaking of asses. one might think that a statistic like this might encourage Mr. Hoffa to get off his. Nope, still a flatline from Jim Jr. If his Dad were still alive, he'd stick Junior in a foundation somewhere for being such a disappointment.

bbsam

Staff member
I think you said something you thought was funny because you don't KNOW the answer.
I am making an honest guess, just like everyone else around here is. But owning several Ground routes and having to pay into unemployment, I do wonder what it is for if not for situations like this.

59 Dano

When it comes to a job like this or any physical demanding job those skills don't come into play.

Of course they don't. This job requires no organizational skills, ability to understand and adhere to deadlines, teamwork, time management skills, or any of that.

I don't have a degree but could out hustle most that do.

Perhaps. I know a courier who is the most hustling person I've ever seen. He can't run a route for crap, though. All that energy and hustle and no idea how to make it work in his favor.

Also it doesn't mean much these days to attain a degree when you can do a lot of requirements online. A degree doesn't tell a perspective employer how hard that person worked in college or if they just did the min and partied most of their time. For this line of work it comes down to prior work and life experience.

A degree says that the person showed enough effort and skill to attain a certain level of achievement. This line of work is no different from any other. A sharp mind and a strong work ethic combined are better than either on its own.

59 Dano

About a week ago, I heard a news story that union membership had dropped to 11.3%, the lowest percentage since the 1930's. In many ways, today is a parallel of the early 30's, when workers had to kick some management ass to get their fair share.

In most ways, today is absolutely nothing like the early 30's.

59 Dano

Well I would say thats because unions in General are in decline, that is what is making it easier for non union and foreign competition to take away business and lower the wage

It's the other way around. Once Third World countries developed the infrastructure needed to support and make use of modern technology, they did so.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It's the other way around. Once Third World countries developed the infrastructure needed to support and make use of modern technology, they did so.

And the money from the top flowed out of our country into the cheaper labor markets.
The money came from here, they did not manufacture that.

Tax law, Duties, Import Tariffs all would be stricter if the Unions had the political clout of decades ago.

59 Dano

And that is exactly the scare tactic used by the rich corporate hierarchy to keep the peasants in line accepting their crumbs...

That's the kind of thinking used by people who don't have sense enough to realize that the only things guaranteed by trade barriers are retaliatory trade barriers against the United States.