Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

MAKAVELI

There is one Ground driver who I see most often during the day as parts of our routes are the same. John does an acceptable job. He would have to pick up the speed if he worked at UPS but he is not a bad driver. He hurt himself during Peak and is still using a helper as he has not medically cleared. His only income was comp which does not pay the bills. If I had to guess I would say John makes about $15/hr.

Do I work twice as hard as John? Of course not. Do I deserve to make twice what John makes? That is not for me to decide.

You will see a two tiered wage structure for FT drivers, if not in 2014, then most certainly in 2028.

I bet you wouldn't feel this way if you were on the lower end. It would be a mistake by UPS in my opinion. It would create resentment and a lower morale. That would open a can of worms .

vantexan

I bet you wouldn't feel this way if you were on the lower end. It would be a mistake by UPS in my opinion. It would create resentment and a lower morale. That would open a can of worms .

I came into work Monday to find that the regular courier of the route I was covering had been asked the previous Friday after seriously late freight to work his day off. I was pushed off my scheduled rt to be a help rt while that topped out courier got to work over 10 hrs at time and a half. I lost over an hr of straight time. Mgr was on vacation, and regular courier threatened to go home if he couldn't run his own rt. So yeah, the pay difference does breed resentment, especially when mgrs forget we get paid considerably less and take time away from us like it doesn't matter.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Re: Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

There is one Ground driver who I see most often during the day as parts of our routes are the same. John does an acceptable job. He would have to pick up the speed if he worked at UPS but he is not a bad driver. He hurt himself during Peak and is still using a helper as he has not medically cleared. His only income was comp which does not pay the bills. If I had to guess I would say John makes about $15/hr.

Do I work twice as hard as John? Of course not. Do I deserve to make twice what John makes? That is not for me to decide.

You will see a two tiered wage structure for FT drivers, if not in 2014, then most certainly in 2028.

Like I said, walk into your center manager on Monday and say you are severely overpaid. You might want to mention it at your PCM so your fellow drivers can join you. Jesus...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The alternative would be for Ground to sustantially raise their wages which just ain't gonna happen.

Ground has shown that the work can be done in an acceptable manner for 1/3 to 1/2 the labor cost. This does not include overtime or benefits. Shippers are more concerned with their bottom line and are more willing to sacrifice service to save money. With the service level of Ground improving and that of UPS declining perhaps service is no longer the standard by which a company is to be measured.

I do not want to see a two tiered wage structure but do see this as an eventuality, whether in 2013 or 2018.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Like I said, walk into your center manager on Monday and say you are severely overpaid. You might want to mention it at your PCM so your fellow drivers can join you. Jesus...

You just don't get it. You have this inflated sense of self. On the other hand, I am fully aware that I am very well compensated for a job that only requires a HS diploma and drivers license and am grateful for not only the wage but for the benefits and pension.

I am also realistic enough to know that this wage, benefit and pension package cannot be sustained at their current levels if we hope to remain competitive with Ground.

Future hires are not entitled to the compensation of current employees.

vantexan

Then current employees should take a substantial cut to insure that future hires get paid decently. If future hires are to be paid as much as 1/2 less than current employees then they are being exploited to maintain your good pay. Better that current employees top out at $25hr so that future employees have a chance at a decent life. Mid-range employees at Express know firsthand how demoralizing it is to be paid considerably less and treated as not worthy of more.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You just don't get it. You have this inflated sense of self. On the other hand, I am fully aware that I am very well compensated for a job that only requires a HS diploma and drivers license and am grateful for not only the wage but for the benefits and pension.

I am also realistic enough to know that this wage, benefit and pension package cannot be sustained at their current levels if we hope to remain competitive with Ground.

If they work just as hard as you do, the future hires should be entitled to the compensation of current employees. You just don't get it, but as long as you have yours, it's all good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If they work just as hard as you do, the future hires should be entitled to the compensation of current employees. You just don't get it, but as long as you have yours, it's all good.

If the next 2 contracts are anything like the previous ones we will be at $40/hr during the 2nd new contract. Think about that for a second---$40/hr for a job which only requires a HS diploma and driver's license. Our current wage structure is unsustainable.

thedownhillEXPRESS

True.

I have not been staying up to date on your upcoming negotiations.

Can you perhaps give us a brief insight into what you are hearing.

I know the two tier wage structure has been floating around for some time, but anything else?

One final note, if the Teamsters were as strong as they used to be, then that $40 dollars an hour would certainly be sustainable, I should say all unions in general not just the Teamsters.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Well I would say thats because unions in General are in decline, that is what is making it easier for non union and foreign competition to take away business and lower the wage

vantexan

If the next 2 contracts are anything like the previous ones we will be at $40/hr during the 2nd new contract. Think about that for a second---$40/hr for a job which only requires a HS diploma and driver's license. Our current wage structure is unsustainable.

I'm kind of curious, would someone with a college degree be considerably better at your job? It doesn't matter who you are or what degrees you hold, your job can't be done without a willingness to work hard. Much harder than most holding degrees will ever work. And if it didn't pay well you'd eventually run out of people willing to do it, something I believe FedEx Ground will run up against. They may never pay UPS pay, but their payroll costs will eventually go up.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I'm kind of curious, would someone with a college degree be considerably better at your job? It doesn't matter who you are or what degrees you hold, your job can't be done without a willingness to work hard. Much harder than most holding degrees will ever work. And if it didn't pay well you'd eventually run out of people willing to do it, something I believe FedEx Ground will run up against. They may never pay UPS pay, but their payroll costs will eventually go up.

Correct.

Its that or they are willing to become a much less reputable company to the general public