Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I also think what you believe to be contempt is really grudging respect.

No, it's actually contempt. I have zero respect for what Ground represents, which is a poor copy of UPS with unprofessional drivers, haphazard service, and tyrannical upper management. Low rent, low budget, low class.

MAKAVELI

I also think what you believe to be contempt is really grudging respect.

No, it's actually contempt. I have zero respect for what Ground represents, which is a poor copy of UPS with unprofessional drivers, haphazard service, and tyrannical upper management. Low rent, low budget, low class.

Don't forget greedy contractors who believes their drivers don't deserve more than a 17 year old kid at Mickey D's.

MAKAVELI

Don't forget greedy contractors who believes their drivers don't deserve more than a 17 year old kid at Mickey D's.

Why should bbsam.inc pay more than the market will bear? If he is able to get qualifed drivers @ $15/hr why in the world would he pay them $20?

Next time your contract comes up tell the Teamsters no thanks I don't want 30 dollars an hour I want to make 15.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Next time your contract comes up tell the Teamsters no thanks I don't want 30 dollars an hour I want to make 15.

That's just it----I don't want to make $15/hr----I would not accept $15/hr----however, there are some who would and that is the labor pool from which bbsam has to choose from.

Are you saying bbsam should pay $20/hr even though he could find qualified help willing to accept $15/hr?

BTW, UPS will be addressing the wage differential in the next contract.

MAKAVELI

That's just it----I don't want to make $15/hr----I would not accept $15/hr----however, there are some who would and that is the labor pool from which bbsam has to choose from.

Are you saying bbsam should pay $20/hr even though he could find qualified help willing to accept $15/hr?

BTW, UPS will be addressing the wage differential in the next contract.

It's not what the market dictates it's what ground dictates it's what the contractors dictate the drivers have no choice. They have no union to negotiate these things unlike you.

MAKAVELI

Why should bbsam.inc pay more than the market will bear? If he is able to get qualifed drivers @ $15/hr why in the world would he pay them $20?

MFE and stopsperhour: You really don't have an answer to this basic question, do you?

Because it's the right thing to do. Something a fellow democrat should understand. If not then you should consider changing your political affiliation. And if I worked for UPS I would want the competition to get paid fairly close to what I am getting. Just like you said UPS will be looking at that wage difference in the next contract.

vantexan

I think I'll tell your center manager to replace you with a minimum-wage migrant worker. You won't mind, will you?

Excellent point. If the immigration reform goes through UPS might suddenly have millions of hard working individuals who'd gladly work for UPS for less than $20hr. Adds a whole new meaning to "What can Brown do for you?"

MAKAVELI

Ground has proven that the job can be done for 1/2 to 2/3 less than UPS.

What is your point? Do you want to give up your nice middle class income and fat benefits, so your company can increase its profits and the executives increase their wealth? If you do we can swap jobs and you can have my dwindling pay and benefits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Buyout Q&A, Jan.22nd Update

There is one Ground driver who I see most often during the day as parts of our routes are the same. John does an acceptable job. He would have to pick up the speed if he worked at UPS but he is not a bad driver. He hurt himself during Peak and is still using a helper as he has not medically cleared. His only income was comp which does not pay the bills. If I had to guess I would say John makes about $15/hr.

Do I work twice as hard as John? Of course not. Do I deserve to make twice what John makes? That is not for me to decide.

You will see a two tiered wage structure for FT drivers, if not in 2014, then most certainly in 2028.