california lunch class action

canon

The routes affected happened literally overnite when they changed the standards.
Exactly as it happened at my building. We received the new standards which were supposed to be attainable under the new PAS system without the benefit of actually having the PAS system. Didn't matter... management started riding with us to find out why we weren't meeting the numbers.

They will not time studay as we are someday going on PAS and that will fix it all. HeeHee.
They time studied our whole building after PAS. The guy who time studied me spent the majority of the day text messaging his wife. It was raining, so he didn't even get out of the truck to "walk off" the distances. At the end of the day he asked me, "What was the speed limit on most of the roads?"

The promise of being able to do our job faster because of PAS just isn't a reality. The numbers exist in the world of La-La Land where there are no delays in traffic, no trains, all the street lights are green for us, stops are exact on the shelf, and everything is small enough to carry in one hand and never need a dolly.

tieguy

Banned
So what happens now, the company just sets out all these millions whether or not you have it coming or not? The settlement figure just gets divided by the drivers in the state? What's next, do they move to every state in the country and file another class action suit? If a driver doesn't fill out the form, does that mean they just take that money from him and give it to the other drivers?

one of the things unique to the liberal going to hell californians was state law that required the employee be allowed to take an extra lunch break after working 10 hours. I imagine that is why Dave a feeder driver is getting a bigger check then the average. Feeder drivers tend to work 10 plus hours as a rule.

tieguy

Banned
Well said Canon!! Alot of the drivers attitudes reflect the time and energy that management puts into it. (And please don't give me that macho drivel that we are all adults) We have two UPS centers in my area. One has a GREAT management team that puts time and lots of energy into their centers by providing them with genuine interest and concern with their problems. Little things by including their families in UPS events at the building (great idea!!), "breakfast" before you head on out on Friday's, support when needed on the road, etc. This center is number one in most areas and I think that most drivers would go to the mats for this manager. And then there is this other center.....Manager and his team do zip, squat, nunca, rien, but the bare minimum for his center.

Helen the center that gets the top results will be the one that gets the approval to spend the money on those friday breakfasts and other such events. The one that is not making the numbers won't be allowed to do the same thing. So in this case your center has to make top numbers first before the district will loosen up the purse strings.

canon

Helen the center that gets the top results will be the one that gets the approval to spend the money on those friday breakfasts and other such events. The one that is not making the numbers won't be allowed to do the same thing. So in this case your center has to make top numbers first before the district will loosen up the purse strings.
So you don't see a correlation between the center with the top numbers having great management and the bottom center having the opposite? I believe she said "One has a GREAT management team that puts time and lots of energy into their centers by providing them with genuine interest and concern with their problems. " The food and drink came later.

Translation: Nothing will be addressed. Business as usual.

tieguy

Banned
So you don't see a correlation between the center with the top numbers having great management and the bottom center having the opposite? I believe she said "One has a GREAT management team that puts time and lots of energy into their centers by providing them with genuine interest and concern with their problems. " The food and drink came later.

Translation: Nothing will be addressed. Business as usual.

LOL and now all of a sudden you want to convince me that you can read. If you read my response then I believe you may be able to figure out that I addressed the friday breakfast spending issue. I never disagreed with the management team caring part of her post. Are you still trying to be difficult or are you really this stupid?

canon

LOL and now all of a sudden you want to convince me that you can read. If you read my response then I believe you may be able to figure out that I addressed the friday breakfast spending issue. I never disagreed with the management team caring part of her post. Are you still trying to be difficult or are you really this stupid?

"Helen the center that gets the top results will be the one that gets the approval to spend the money on those friday breakfasts and other such events. The one that is not making the numbers won't be allowed to do the same thing. So in this case your center has to make top numbers first before the district will loosen up the purse strings."

Again with the insults. I read your response. Unfortunately for your argument, her post was concerning poor management vs good management. The good management had good numbers... your response suggested they had to get good numbers in order to get friday breakfast. How is that helpful or how does that address her post? Did she ask, hey does anybody know how we can get friday breakfasts? Again, address the real issue here: crappy management produces crappy numbers.

tieguy

Banned
"Helen the center that gets the top results will be the one that gets the approval to spend the money on those friday breakfasts and other such events. The one that is not making the numbers won't be allowed to do the same thing. So in this case your center has to make top numbers first before the district will loosen up the purse strings."

Again with the insults. I read your response. Unfortunately for your argument, her post was concerning poor management vs good management. The good management had good numbers... your response suggested they had to get good numbers in order to get friday breakfast.

very good . So you see that I specifically addressed the friday breakfast issue?

How is that helpful or how does that address her post? Did she ask, hey does anybody know how we can get friday breakfasts? Again, address the real issue here: crappy management produces crappy numbers.

I'm sorry cannon I don't work for you. that means I get to respond to what I wish to respond to. The expense of money on friday breakfasts needed to be highlighted here because approval to spend that money has to be earned. The friday breakfast is also one aspect of the good management bad management issue because If I have my boss buying me breakfast every friday then I might think he is a pretty decent guy.

I'm surprised you have a hard time understanding something so relevant to this discussion.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OK, what I am not getting here Tooner, is that most of the routes in your building run under less than one hour over? Most of the routes in our building run 1 to 1 1/2 hours over. More than several at two hours or more over. Do most centers run one hour under or scratch?

I know that there are approx 30-35 drivers, somewhere between 25 to 29 rts this time of yr. There are about 6 guys who used to run over 1 hr "early" every day. Now they are usually scratch or 20 early. There are 3 that run 1+ late every day, and several who run 1= a few days a week. It used to be if you had bulk, and you could muscle it off, you would be good, now the more pieces you have the more you lose.
Another center in my building have many more that are 1= and a few 2= every day, and they are a bonus center, but not as many make that as before.
I have an 8 hr request on Tues, they said they could give me the day, I said nah just give me 6 hrs by your numbers and Ill be fine.

DS

Fenderbender
Tie,why are you so hard on canon?
From what I`ve read,I`ve yet to diagree with any comment he`s posted.He seems well read and credible,why are you being such a big meanie?
Good management leads to better numbers said it all.
yet you find a way to disagree.

canon

I'm sorry cannon I don't work for you. that means I get to respond to what I wish to respond to. The expense of money on friday breakfasts needed to be highlighted here because approval to spend that money has to be earned. The friday breakfast is also one aspect of the good management bad management issue because If I have my boss buying me breakfast every friday then I might think he is a pretty decent guy.

I'm surprised you have a hard time understanding something so relevant to this discussion.
I can assure you, you wouldn't be working for me very long.

The breakfast is the reward. They have to earn it first. Let's see if this breakdown helps:
1) Good management gets better numbers.

2) The drivers work better for good management long before any breakfast is served.

3) With or without breakfast the drivers appreciate the good manager and it shows in their job performance.

4) Nobody is asking how to get a breakfast. But it's good to know you're the go to guy if it ever does come up.

And if it's me? I don't take their donuts or their turkeys. A year of telling me I'm not pulling my weight, then here's a turkey? No thank you. Just fix the problems so I can be appreciated for the work I do... or show me what I'm doing wrong. If that makes me a crybaby, then bew-hew.

tieguy

Banned
Tie,why are you so hard on canon?
From what I`ve read,I`ve yet to diagree with any comment he`s posted.He seems well read and credible,why are you being such a big meanie?
Good management leads to better numbers said it all.
yet you find a way to disagree.

In one post he listed some managment people he had seen discharged over the years.

I then pointed out that he could have done the same with drivers he had seen over the years and given the false impression that all drivers were liars , thieves and perverts.

Cujo then tried to twist my words to show that I stated all drivers were liars , thieves and perverts.

In the process he became the dishonest managment person he tried to put down.

It was a despicably dishonest act on his part.

tieguy

Banned
I can assure you, you wouldn't be working for me very long.

The breakfast is the reward. They have to earn it first. Let's see if this breakdown helps:
1) Good management gets better numbers.

2) The drivers work better for good management long before any breakfast is served.

3) With or without breakfast the drivers appreciate the good manager and it shows in their job performance.

4) Nobody is asking how to get a breakfast. But it's good to know you're the go to guy if it ever does come up.

And if it's me? I don't take their donuts or their turkeys. A year of telling me I'm not pulling my weight, then here's a turkey? No thank you. Just fix the problems so I can be appreciated for the work I do... or show me what I'm doing wrong. If that makes me a crybaby, then bew-hew.

Again you try to debate something that did not need debating or was not being debated by me in some wasted effort to try to be difficult. Again you show why management has to constantly stay on you at work.

canon

Again you try to debate something that did not need debating or was not being debated by me in some wasted effort to try to be difficult. Again you show why management has to constantly stay on you at work.
The readers know the score.

local804

I agree, we pay people who made it past 12th grade (some of them) 60-100 grand a year and they want more. I wonder why FedEx is cleaning house... The thing is the more senior drivers could care less if they lay people off, they're safe. I just wonder what most of them do with the cash. Our drivers make more then most people in this town and they are all drunks and have nothing to show for it. The union was good at one point in time but now it's a joke.

Very cute....
While the majority of the world is at home eating dinner with their families, our lovely team in brown still has 30 stops left. January 26th it was 11 degrees outside, I know I delivered till 8 while I am sure you sat on your FAT :censored2: looking at your computer till 4. The drivers work for what they get paid hense the word JOB. I dont blame the drunks that work for UPS I blame the A@@ho!es who hired them.

Hope you have a nice weekend.

I dont blame the drunks that work for UPS I blame the A@@ho!es who hired them.

That's another problem. I suspect they were a lot like you when you applied.

IOW, they didn't present themselves as delicate slugs that can't stay out past 8pm.

No, they presented themselves as motivated, professional, dedicated adults that would do whatever was needed to get the job done.

It just turns out later that they were unmotivated, delicate slugs all along and misrepresented themselves.

I'd consider that a form of theft and fraud. I'd try to get the legal department to figure out a way to fire them and sue them for all the pay and benefits they fraudulently obtained.

Of course that'd require some initiative on their part so I think you're relatively safe for now.

canon

IOW, they didn't present themselves as delicate slugs that can't stay out past 8pm.
Of course. The drivers are supposed to be this group of people willing to sacrifice their family life completely while management bolts home long before the sun sets.

Try leading by example.