Call in and svd used for same day

DRporch

Hello reaching out here to see if anyone else has had this happen and if you did how did your grievance go when you filed?

I’m in central local 243 and when we fill out our vacations there’s a line that stipulates first 10 days taken off unscheduled will be svd days.

So as a work around management decides to mark the days as call ins then submit an “adjustment” for the vacation pay. They do it this way because when filling out time cards you can’t use an svd and call in on the same day. (Confirmed by a coworker in management)

I’m 100% gonna file but I like to go into my grievances with as much ammo as I can

OrionIsDaddy

Just because you are using a SVD doesn't mean you aren't calling in.

The use of svd on a call in is to discourage calling in, not absolve you of the absence

OrionIsDaddy

Can’t code an svd and call in on the same day. It’s one or the other in their system

Yeah I get that. The system doesn't function how it should, they need to put it in as call in to track your attendance. You are still getting paid out your sdv and you are still calling in.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hello reaching out here to see if anyone else has had this happen and if you did how did your grievance go when you filed?

I’m in central local 243 and when we fill out our vacations there’s a line that stipulates first 10 days taken off unscheduled will be svd days.

So as a work around management decides to mark the days as call ins then submit an “adjustment” for the vacation pay. They do it this way because when filling out time cards you can’t use an svd and call in on the same day. (Confirmed by a coworker in management)

I’m 100% gonna file but I like to go into my grievances with as much ammo as I can
I don't like your chances.

This is Article 16 of the Central Region Supplemental Agreement.

Screenshot_20230203_063359_Office.jpg

UPSmechanicinblue

This would be a good thing to submit a proposal on to change in the up coming contract?

OrionIsDaddy

This would be a good thing to submit a proposal on to change in the up coming contract?

Why would you want to change it so you don't get paid for calling in? Not every state has sick day laws and not every local has sick time.

It works fine. This guy just needs to quit calling in or actually schedule out these vacation days.

UPSmechanicinblue

Why would you want to change it so you don't get paid for calling in? Not every state has sick day laws and not every local has sick time.

It works fine. This guy just needs to quit calling in or actually schedule out these vacation days.
I dont like them being used up due to a call in or unscheduled time off for maybe doctors appointment etc , maybe make it be a choice. Some maybe just use 5 SVD days a year (I use 10) and if they are off sick for 3 days in a row then they lost 3 of there 5 SVD days for the year. Just an example. Be nice to have the choice of the SVD used if requested like one of our 2 option days can be used negotiated the same day. I would rather just be coded as called in. We are in the central ,Michigan

Family

If they paid you you can't be disciplined. If you have an emergency or illness worrying about what your boss will do seems like harassment. Have a valid reason and also have an attendance record that backs you up.

bumped

What do you really want?

Do you want to use the SVD and not get the call in?

Do you want the call in and not use the SVD? If so, then file on not being mutually agreement of use.

I personally don't use the SVD as it can be denied due to staffing issues. I'd rather have the planned vacation time.

DRporch

Here’s the thing, I really don’t mind they used my svd days for my call in, but they are using SVD and a call in for the exact same day.

They can mark me call in or svd but both I believe is crossing into a huge grey area.

So by them doing it this way I now am being disciplined via call in, and losing 2 vacation days. Now it’s my first “call in” in over a year so I’m not worried about me personally, but worried about others.

Last edited:

mancini

southern MN here, if we call in sick and chose to have svds, they use svds for call ins. management says we can't get into trouble for calling in sick if we have svd left

UPSmechanicinblue

southern MN here, if we call in sick and chose to have svds, they use svds for call ins. management says we can't get into trouble for calling in sick if we have svd left
Is there actually a grievance maybe at the panel that shows if they can or cannot discipline if SVD days are use instead of misc missed days? example employee has 10 call ins in 6 months 5 are SVD when called in and the other are 5 sick

21Savage

Is there actually a grievance maybe at the panel that shows if they can or cannot discipline if SVD days are use instead of misc missed days? example employee has 10 call ins in 6 months 5 are SVD when called in and the other are 5 sick
I've used three sick so far this year and been disciplined for every one