Never Paid for Vacation

bnb828

My husband is in the Union at UPS and has been working as a full time package driver for over a year and was granted his first full paid vacation for 1 week. We never got paid the vacation days the 2 weeks prior (like I keep seeing is suppose to happen). He called his Union guy and he told him to file a grievance. He did this with his manager immediately. My husband asked about the penalty pay for every day late and of course his manager said “it’s pretty hard to get penalty pay”.. I said I’m sure he did. But is this accurate? Anything else for us to do? How long could it take for him to get paid? If he doesn’t get paid soon do we file another grievance? How do we demand penalty pay for every day late?

Thebrownblob

My husband is in the Union at UPS and has been working as a full time package driver for over a year and was granted his first full paid vacation for 1 week. We never got paid the vacation days the 2 weeks prior (like I keep seeing is suppose to happen). He called his Union guy and he told him to file a grievance. He did this with his manager immediately. My husband asked about the penalty pay for every day late and of course his manager said “it’s pretty hard to get penalty pay”.. I said I’m sure he did. But is this accurate? Anything else for us to do? How long could it take for him to get paid? If he doesn’t get paid soon do we file another grievance? How do we demand penalty pay for every day late?
Your story is a little confusing. Where was his union Steward and why was the manager telling him? It was hard to get Penalty Pay, Because it’s not. There are however, timelines in order to file for penalty pay, and if he did not meet them, he may have screwed himself out of penalty. Your husband should not be filing grievances by himself with the management. The steward should be present and handling the processing, and if he can’t get it done, it should go to the next level which is his business agent. It’s always weird when someone’s spouse gets on this website and talks for him or her.

542thruNthru

1st penalty pay is not for every day that he isn't paid. It's for every pay period and it's only for 4 hours each pay period.

2nd. Your penalty grievance can not be settled until your husband actually receives his vacation pay. This is because the penalty keeps stacking every week until you're paid.

3rd penalty pay is actually easy to receive but it does take awhile to get resolved.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Your story is a little confusing. Where was his union Steward and why was the manager telling him? It was hard to get Penalty Pay, Because it’s not. There are however, timelines in order to file for penalty pay, and if he did not meet them, he may have screwed himself out of penalty. Your husband should not be filing grievances by himself with the management. The steward should be present and handling the processing, and if he can’t get it done, it should go to the next level which is his business agent. It’s always weird when someone’s spouse gets on this website and talks for him or her.
Another driver with no balls apparently. Why would you ever have your wife post here for a problem at UPS? SMH

bnb828

Sorry to have offended anyone. Husband doesn’t even know I’m on here. I am just extra and like to have everything in order and like to be in the know and on top of things. I probably didn’t word my OP correctly. Husband said shop steward was present and that he helped file. I’m just curious about the time frame bc my husband isn’t going to ask these questions so I thought I could get advice for the old timers on here. 🤷🏻‍♀️

bnb828

Another driver with no balls apparently. Why would you ever have your wife post here for a problem at UPS? SMH
Oof sorry to get you in a tizzy. Husband didn’t have me do anything…He probably doesn’t even know brown cafe is a thing. I thought I’d get some genuine advice. I am more on top of this kind of thing bc it’s my personality. Another genuine question: Is there a “no wives allowed” rule on this site? If so, my bad

Thebrownblob

Sorry to have offended anyone. Husband doesn’t even know I’m on here. I am just extra and like to have everything in order and like to be in the know and on top of things. I probably didn’t word my OP correctly. Husband said shop steward was present and that he helped file. I’m just curious about the time frame bc my husband isn’t going to ask these questions so I thought I could get advice for the old timers on here. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Not offended just is interesting. As you were told it isn’t a Penalty every day it’s weekly. It should not be a problem getting it but sometimes you have to wait until a hearing. Usually those are once a month.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

No need to apologize.

They are legitimate questions.

But, the salty veterans of BrownCafe usually don't cut anyone slack.... especially on their 1st post.

Another genuine question: Is there a “no wives allowed” rule on this site? If so, my bad

It's discouraged.... :biggrin:

For a small fee, I can consult with the BrownCafe Grand Pooba @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U and

see if he can pull some strings for you.

*Is you husband a dues paying Union member ?*

Thebrownblob

No need to apologize.

They are legitimate questions.

But, the salty veterans of BrownCafe usually don't cut anyone slack.... especially on their 1st post.

It's discouraged.... :biggrin:

For a small fee, I can consult with the BrownCafe Grand Pooba @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U and

see if he can pull some strings for you.

*Is you husband a dues paying Union member ?*
1689886454820.gif

Thebrownblob

I tried this first but saw a ton of conflicting responses and wasn’t sure if I was getting accurate info. Thought this site would be better w/ first hand knowledge. Thanks for your feedback!
OK I never wanna scare you off so that you use Reddit. Please never go there. L O L.

Up In Smoke

I tried this first but saw a ton of conflicting responses and wasn’t sure if I was getting accurate info. Thought this site would be better w/ first hand knowledge. Thanks for your feedback!
He's been working more than a year, but has his one year anniversary passed. Someone being hired during the "free" period of summer could have a seniority date that falls after August 30th. Does his pay stub reflect vacation hours? Did he select vacation last fall or was something done by management earlier this year?