Called ":censored:" by supervisor!

tieguy

Banned
So here is an update yesterday the same supervisor comes up to the trailer that I am loading and starts throwing packages in. There are already 3 of us in a trailer stacking and loading. I jump out of the trailer to let him know that isn't his job.

that supervisor should be disciplined for letting this situation get out of control. At the point you left your work, jumped out of the trailer and aggressively confronted me I i would have fired you for a threatening gesture/ workplace violence. We have employees who for some ungodly reason think they have an obligation to stop working and correct management on their behavior. When that happens they need to be walked out.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I hear what you are saying. And yes I am stressed about this. I have two teenagers and it really is starting to put a strain on our relationship. Workplace stress suck. But I also want respect and dignity. At what cost, I really dunno.

If you want respect and dignity get a job as a volunteer. If you want a pay check, you need to learn that you're on the loosing end when you battle with your superiors (position, not personally). Fighting with the boss almost never comes out good.

bham brown

that supervisor should be disciplined for letting this situation get out of control. At the point you left your work, jumped out of the trailer and aggressively confronted me I i would have fired you for a threatening gesture/ workplace violence. We have employees who for some ungodly reason think they have an obligation to stop working and correct management on their behavior. When that happens they need to be walked out.

First off he never said he aggressively confronted anyone. He was letting the sup know that it wasn't the sup's job to touch packages. Which he can do. What threatening gesture did he say he made? Where was the workplace violence on his part? The OP said the pt sup was the one instigating the contact and cursing where other employees could hear it. Why wouldn't you fire the sup? You say the pt sup should be disciplined but you jump to termination on the hourly employee. I see some double standards there. Anyway a pt sup doesn't have the authority to fire anybody. He can request it but he can't tell you that you are fired without getting approval from managers, labor managers, etc... What you would've done is totally different than what a pt sup can do... Assuming that you are staff level..

UnconTROLLed

perfection

At which point , I would smirk and go talk with a steward. Our supplement says that in the event supervisors are working , the shop steward will be notified . I will walk right away from you for threatening discipline without union representation, so there goes your false workplace violence angle and work stoppage mumbo jumbo idea. Good luck with that termination holding up. :sad-little:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If the story is true, the sup is a liability. UPS should protect itself by firing him.

If he does not correct his behavior you can be assured he is gone ... and rightly so.
As with Union employees, management is given an opportunity to change their behavior.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think now is as good of a time as any to have sit down w/ sort center manager and steward and explain to both sides how a change in work area scenery is the best solution. Otherwise, it's going to go down an unwanted path for both sides.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All answers are extreme. On one hand, call the police, press charges, etc. The other, a polite sit-down over tea and crumpets.

Sorry, neither are going to work. Just move on with your life. This is UPS, name calling is allowed as long as it's not sexual harrassment or racist. FIle grievances against him/ her every package touched. Look at them like they have 4 eyes. Treat them like the :censored2:. Words are cheap.

I think now is as good of a time as any to have sit down w/ sort center manager and steward and explain to both sides how a change in work area scenery is the best solution. Otherwise, it's going to go down an unwanted path for both sides.

What made you change your mind?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
When you have two idiots trying the change each others behavior by behaving inappropriately, there are two people in the wrong. If you want to change behavior and come out on top, change your own behavior so that you are not contributing to the inappropriate behavior. When one person is clearly behaving inappropriately and the other is clearly not behaving inappropriately, the person in the wrong is pretty easy to identify.

We're only hearing one side of the story.

It's likely that the supervisor has a story that is somewhat different.

There is a line on both sides, if the line is crossed someone is getting in trouble. In this case, until that "cardinal sin" line is crossed, the supervisor has the advantage when it comes to discipline, work assignment, etc.

This started as someone saying something that someone else didn't like, now both sides are escalating it into something more by playing the "tit for tat" routine.

Two things are certain:
1) If the behavior continues to escalate, at least one (maybe both) of the participants is going to get into serious trouble.
2) The person that stops engaging and behaves appropriately at all times is not going to be the one that gets burned.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What made you change your mind?

The violence in the workplace spin. THat is a very different animal than the initial story, right? Obviously the truth lies somewhere in the middle in this story and we're only getting half. But if things get violent (no matter who is at fault), something has to change.

Also- I was not saying a sit down with the PT sup and employee. To me, that should be avoided at this point.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Fracus, would you advocate the change of scenery that Sleeve suggested?

A change in scenery may eliminate the conflict between these two individuals, but it won't cure either one of them of their inability to behave properly or cope with trivial issues. It sounds to me like they are both acting childish. I have seen employees and management involved in conflict for years and years, regardless of who they were working with. Moving the problem, doesn't solve it. People that can't cope with minor conflicts are in for a miserable career at UPS. Ultimately they get moved, placated, adjusted, disciplined and eventually terminated if they don't learn to control their own actions.

22.34life

So here is an update yesterday the same supervisor comes up to the trailer that I am loading and starts throwing packages in. There are already 3 of us in a trailer stacking and loading. I jump out of the trailer to let him know that isn't his job. He positions his face really close to mine, and yells "GET BACK INTO THE TRAILER", he then jerks foward sticking his chest out and yells "I'M INTRUCTING YOU TO GET BACK INTO THE TRAILER" and then again he jerks forward and sticks his chesst out and yells,"":censored2: YOU! GET BACK INTO THE FU*KING THE TRAILER! FU*KING S*IT..". I had to move back each time to aviod contact, he was trying to bump chests with me. I got back into the trailer and the other 2 in the trailer said they saw everything. I really felt like he wanted to hit or fight me. I tell the full time sup with a witness that I what has happened. Today I am called into the office for a meeting with the manager and they say they are going to retrain him and that he invaded my space, then they add that they have been noticing me loading slower lately and let me know that they are going to terminate me if they see me purposely slowing down the sort. (Retaliation crap)

What the the hell???? I have not been loading/sorting slower. If I had wouldn't they have written me up by now.

I went to the union they have filed a grievance including the ":censored2:" comment and now this invasion of space/threat incident under article 37. The union said that they don't recommend that I call the 1-800 number coz the company is judge and jury. But I now have heard from a pt sup that he has actually yelled at another pt sup in the same way coz he didn't get the employees he wanted when radioed for help. Should I call the 1-800?

I do not feel safe around this guy, the union said not to get a restraing order coz I will be the one locked out of work. I feel like I am just waiting to get hit by this guy.

I've already been moved closer to this guy when I complained about the the :censored2: comment, now I feel like they going to have me carrying his clipboard or some crap if I tell them in the greiv meeting that I want to be seperated.

I want this crap to end now! I'm 55 years old, I'm to old for this immature crap. I'm in NY, I hope they send his ass back to NJ.

My BA said that even though I have a clean record, they are going to try to turn this whole incident onto me.

I have a meeting soon for the grievance ,any advice when I am up there with the labor manager?

your original post of this guy calling you a :censored2: was kinda stupid but this post sounds like you have a legit complaint.but i still have to wonder why your manager would tell you in your meeting that he notices you loading slower,this right after one of his sups committed violence in the workplace.are you sure their is not more to this story than you are telling us?if not than what you should have done was when the sup was yelling and trying to bump chest with you you should have let him run into you and fell down right infront of the witness,then got up and said you just knocked me down.if you would have done this he would have been fired no question.you still have a good case when you have your meeting make sure you take a steward and the witness,you need to make sure you use specific language like "violence in the workplace","i am afraid in my workplace","i felt threatned with physical violence".make sure you quote the companys zero tolerance policy on violence in the workplace.the bottom line is this if their is no more to this story than what your saying do not rest until this guy is fired,follow the chain of command and keep going up until he is fired.do not have any pity on this p/t sup because if the tables were turned they would have none on you and you would have been fired on the spot.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Do you work at the same UPS I do?
Where I work the profanity starts at the guard shack and is pretty much nonstop till you get back to the guard shack at the end of the day.
I make it a practice to not cuss but it is hard in this environment.
Lets switch it around. If a worker calls management a derogatory name should they be disciplined?

My original comment was :

"Grow the friend#### up".......Period!!!

tieguy

Banned
First off he never said he aggressively confronted anyone. He was letting the sup know that it wasn't the sup's job to touch packages. Which he can do..

work now grieve later. you have the right to grieve supervisors working you do not have the right to act like a security guard protecting your packages.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
your original post of this guy calling you a :censored2: was kinda stupid but this post sounds like you have a legit complaint.but i still have to wonder why your manager would tell you in your meeting that he notices you loading slower,this right after one of his sups committed violence in the workplace.are you sure their is not more to this story than you are telling us?if not than what you should have done was when the sup was yelling and trying to bump chest with you you should have let him run into you and fell down right infront of the witness,then got up and said you just knocked me down.if you would have done this he would have been fired no question.you still have a good case when you have your meeting make sure you take a steward and the witness,you need to make sure you use specific language like "violence in the workplace","i am afraid in my workplace","i felt threatned with physical violence".make sure you quote the companys zero tolerance policy on violence in the workplace.the bottom line is this if their is no more to this story than what your saying do not rest until this guy is fired,follow the chain of command and keep going up until he is fired.do not have any pity on this p/t sup because if the tables were turned they would have none on you and you would have been fired on the spot.

Absent of a direct threat or legitimate (not a bump, rub, touch) physical assault, your not likely to see either one fired for violating the violence in the work place policy. Zero tolerance means it's not allowed and action will be taken if it is determined that a violent act occurred. The action is not necessarily termination no matter what words you use to describe it.

22.34life

Absent of a direct threat or legitimate (not a bump, rub, touch) physical assault, your not likely to see either one fired for violating the violence in the work place policy. Zero tolerance means it's not allowed and action will be taken if it is determined that a violent act occurred. The action is not necessarily termination no matter what words you use to describe it.
not true,i have seen people fired for verbal altercations and it stuck.no direct threat or physical violence took place between these two people.you can not create an environment that would cause violence in the workplace,or a hostile workplace.my point is more that if an hourly had done what the op said his sup had done he would be gone no questions asked,the same should apply to managment dont you think.i disagree with you about the zero tolerance policy also,monday go up to someone you dislike at ups and start an argument with him,then push him down.i promise you will be terminated,that is the meaning of zero tolerance,it means no warning,no suspension,no working termination.

DustinM

When you first got hired were you not told you needed tough skin to work at ups? I know I was....Name calling Is a day to day occurance this isn't a nursery you dont get babied..but him broadcasting that over the radio is pretty grimey...stand up for yourself even with 18 years experience if your labeled a easy target you'll be one.