Calling in

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's not too often that I really just "burn" a sick day for no reason. The last time I clle off it was because my little girl was sick and when i called in I told them that and they were cool with it. They know me too well and know that I will come back with some smarta$$ comment if they try to finagle me into coming to work, but it wasn't an option that day. I wasn't about to send my daughter to day care sick and get the other kids sick. I know other parents do it, but I'm not other parents.

When i was younger though, it was sort of a joke on where I would call off from next. When I was like 23 I called off from the beach on a Friday morning. I thought I was being nice by going outside as to not wake my roomates. Instead it bit me cause when I came in my obss made the comment, "Next timeyou call in sick from the beach make sure you close the door so we can't hear the waves and the seagulls.
Another time I caled from Detroit going to the North American International Auto Show. We had gotten bad snow back at home and they had alot of call offs, even when I had called in 2 hours before start time. I sort of lied first and tell them I couldn't get there which was partially true since I would not have been able to make it ack from Detroit for start time. Then they offered to come and get me. I had to come clean. When they asked where I was I told them, "Detroit! How ong will you be so I'm ready?" They told me they would see me Monday and hung up.

But now I merelytell them, "This is R, I'm not going to make it today." Rarely a problem.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I once called and the sup was giving hard time and I finally said "I wont' be there unless you're going to pay me to sit on the toilet for the evening." That was it, I got the night off.

area43

we can bid our sick days as a vacation(5) in which i do. they call us double dippers. the ctr mjr called me in the office and tried to intimindate me into not taking them and if i did call in sick after having bid them i would be charged with a ph. Long story short, he (ctr mjr) was out a year ago for 2 mons on a hip surgery. i told him did u have to use all you ph's and vac wks since u used all your sic days. i also told him he should have skipped surgery - take a bunch of pain killers,get a wheel chair and come into work. His jaw dropped looked at the shop stewart and said i was disabled. I told him "tuff". the same thing who would say to any driver that called in sick. sick or disabled same thing , physically incapable, time duration might be different. I told him for 22 yrs i bid my sic wk. your problem is with the ups national neg comm. they shouldn t have agreed to it. Im just exercising my right in the contract to bid them.

W

westsideworma

we can bid our sick days as a vacation(5) in which i do. they call us double dippers. the ctr mjr called me in the office and tried to intimindate me into not taking them and if i did call in sick after having bid them i would be charged with a ph. Long story short, he (ctr mjr) was out a year ago for 2 mons on a hip surgery. i told him did u have to use all you ph's and vac wks since u used all your sic days. i also told him he should have skipped surgery - take a bunch of pain killers,get a wheel chair and come into work. His jaw dropped looked at the shop stewart and said i was disabled. I told him "tuff". the same thing who would say to any driver that called in sick. sick or disabled same thing , physically incapable, time duration might be different. I told him for 22 yrs i bid my sic wk. your problem is with the ups national neg comm. they shouldn t have agreed to it. Im just exercising my right in the contract to bid them.

we can use ours too but we can choose a combo of our sick days and our personal days (say like using 3 sick days and 2 personals) so we would still have some left over just in case. :cool:

jlphotog

I called in for the first time today.

Like was mentioned earlier, I find it more important to pay the mortgage that to take a day off, but I couldn't even see straight this morning.

I know my supe gets in around 06:30 so I waited till 06:35 to call. His response was, well, you are not a regular at this. Get better and hopefully we will see you tomorrow. He made it pretty easy.

I am just not looking forward to tomorrow. I know whomever covered my run is going to have a bunch of missed today. The streets are split into a number of different sections and if you don't know the area it's very confusing. Even my pre-loader has problems with some it.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I called in for the first time today.

Like was mentioned earlier, I find it more important to pay the mortgage that to take a day off, but I couldn't even see straight this morning.

I know my supe gets in around 06:30 so I waited till 06:35 to call. His response was, well, you are not a regular at this. Get better and hopefully we will see you tomorrow. He made it pretty easy.

I am just not looking forward to tomorrow. I know whomever covered my run is going to have a bunch of missed today. The streets are split into a number of different sections and if you don't know the area it's very confusing. Even my pre-loader has problems with some it.
Remember that under the CBA, you have to call in one hour prior to the start of your shift.

HazMatMan

If you are sick, all you have to say is: "I am sick and I will not be able to come into work today."

Repeat the line verbatim if they persist. I don't remember the CBA making any mention of having to show proof, so stick with it. It's your right. The supervisor has no right to ask what your illness is, unless it's extended IIRC, and I think that's handled through someone in HR; medical issues are private and of no business to your supervisor.

Yeah, UPS has that, only that it's 4 consecutive no-call-no-shows.

The 4 excused or non excused and you're gone policy is pretty stupid, not only is it bad HR, but it's most likely illegal; I don't remember a democracy allowing companies to fire employees if they have a week-long flu. So I call BS on that.

Someone I know (I won't mention a name, or a company name) works for a company where if you have 3 no calls in a row they will have assumed you quit. In other words YOUR FIRED!! I guess that's how they beat that illegal loophole.

T

touchmuchdrama

calling in is a joke.have heard of one palatine feeder drv calling in 86 times/yes you heard that right 86 times in the year 2007.an still with the company.

sillyputty

If we call in, we have to talk to our full time sup. If you try to leave a message, they will call it a "no call-no show". I was super sick one time and called around noon when I knew she usually arrived- they said she wasn't in yet- call back later. I got that over and over and finally I just said no- you have to leave a message, I'm sick, I'm going to bed, I'm not going to keep getting up to call. I mean- Come on! It worked out fine.

As for lates- to them there is no difference between 1 minute and 15 minutes late. We had a guy who would somewhat regularly come in even an hour late. And he wouldn't be given any harder of a time than the person coming in a minute late. So.... if for whatever reason I may be late, I don't rush to get there "less late".

A few weeks ago I was over an hour late because of a fatal accident on the highway where I sat still in traffic. Actually, pretty much every time I've ever been late is the result of an accident on the highway slowing or stopping traffic, or because of snow/ice.... in which case there are often accidents.

LKLND3380

Just curious to here how everyone else calls in sick, what time, who do u speak with and if they ever try to talk u out of it. I have only called in sick 4 times in 10 years, but i think this year will be different. I havent been home before 730 the past 3 weeks. Our management team gets to take a half day once a week. We only get 1 week for paternity and they get 3. I'm sick of breaking my back and coming home at 800 with no energy left to play with my kids. Something has to change with this next contract.

I believe you are supposed to call in one hour before your start time. I call in and there is never a supe in till at least 30 minutes before start time... I call from my cell and save all the dialed calls...:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As for lates- to them there is no difference between 1 minute and 15 minutes late. We had a guy who would somewhat regularly come in even an hour late. And he wouldn't be given any harder of a time than the person coming in a minute late. So.... if for whatever reason I may be late, I don't rush to get there "less late".

A few weeks ago I was over an hour late because of a fatal accident on the highway where I sat still in traffic. Actually, pretty much every time I've ever been late is the result of an accident on the highway slowing or stopping traffic, or because of snow/ice.... in which case there are often accidents.

Do you try to call your sup while you are sitting in traffic to explain why you are going to be late?

sillyputty

oh yeah- I always call while I'm stuck in traffic. that's never a problem- then it's just "get here when you can"... what else can I do? It's a regular old call in that's the end of the UPS universe. Apparently the company cannot get by without me for one night :wink2:

sillyputty

sorry, yeah, about late people- the guy who would be an hour later got in no more trouble than a person 1 minute late. Or, to put it better, the person who was only a minute late would be yelled at just as much/as severely as the one who wandered in an hour late.

I always call if I'll be late. Even if it's just going to be 5 minutes I let them know.

Fortunately if your a driver your covered under the DOT rule that an ill driver can not drive. Call in and say your ill,they can bitch or cry all they want,it`s a done deal. I have seen drivers get talked into coming in and then scratching a trailer and being charged with an accident and on top of that being insulted by being told that "if you were not feeling well then you shouldn't have come in". Also if you are coerced into "try and come in" and you have an accident on the way in, UPS is libel. A package car driver back when I was a rookie got in an accident on his way in sick and the people he hit sued UPS successfully. If I feel my driving is compromised I don`t go in,period.
They count being late the same as being absent here. We questioned that when they started it but they said thats how it is. If something is going to make me late.accident ..etc, I`ll call and speak to my sup and let them know. I then ask if it`s going to count as a "incident" and if they say yes then I tell them I will be turning around and going home. They`ll change our start time to get us to come in.
One thing I will do if I`m "iffy" on being ill,I`d like to stay home but my driving is not compromised,is call in early and tell my sup that I`m feeling ill but could probably try and make it in and then ask them what THEY want me to do. If they tell me to come in I will for as long as I can,leaving early doesn`t go towards any absenteeism "count". If they have enough people they will usually say "stay home and rest". This won`t go towards the "count" as you were given they night off rather than not going in by your choice.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I love it when you see people that have no time but to look through year and a half old threads. Drama how do you know that this feeder driver has 86 call ins? Do you have a crush on this driver? You arent watching his every move now are you? Do you get jealous if he doesnt come into work?