Cameras

Thebrownblob

So, this is the question, is the outward facing camera a liability? If the driver is driving like an assbag, should he be disciplined? What about when a camera proves a driver did everything possible to avoid an accident? This is the argument I always here management make. What say you @Bubblehead ? @542thruNthru ? @Thebrownblob ?
So far here it’s been both, although I have not seen any discipline. And far and away, the outward facing camera has proven our drivers to be in the right most of the time. The inward-facing sensor is a joke, and no one even talks about it anymore.

trickpony1

So far here it’s been both, although I have not seen any discipline. And far and away, the outward facing camera has proven our drivers to be in the right most of the time. The inward-facing sensor is a joke, and no one even talks about it anymore.
....until am ORS, center manager or DM decide they have an "affection" for a certain driver?

Thebrownblob

....until am ORS, center manager or DM decide they have an "affection" for a certain driver?
I don’t know what that affection could do any more than looking at telematics. If you can’t be fired by using surveillance, unless you’re being dishonest, the same applies here. It’s just another tool for management pinpoint people to follow in person. Although now I would say they have so much information. They don’t even know what to do with it so it’s mostly ignored.

Trucker Clock

View attachment 430911
Might go a little deeper than that?

I agree that they are everywhere. But, there are also countless sups in the hub that can watch you all day long. And they do watch you all day long. They can watch you load, unload, sort, etc.

And if you actually look at the camera feeds, most are watching belt systems, packages, not necessarily employees per se.

You're by yourself in a package car or feeder. Nobody around. You should have some expectation of privacy unless a sup was on car with you. To have a camera pointed at your face is a far cry from a camera pointed at a belt you are putting boxes on. Your sup could be standing there watching you too. What's the difference between a camera watching you or a sup watching you?

This is also the logic that the Union will probably cave on front facing cameras. You still have privacy and are not overly supervised. There is a camera on the front to record any adverse moments in a UPS owned package car or tractor.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So, this is the question, is the outward facing camera a liability? If the driver is driving like an assbag, should he be disciplined? What about when a camera proves a driver did everything possible to avoid an accident? This is the argument I always here management make. What say you @Bubblehead ? @542thruNthru ? @Thebrownblob ?
Trouble is, everyone knows the suit monkey that views their sole mission in life as being the one to get drivers fired. They will zero in on one particular driver, monitoring all day.

Thebrownblob

So......
telematics documents the driver:
-picking his nose;
-talking on his phone;
-texting;
-eating a sandwich;
-drinking his coffee and/or;
-other perceived objectionable behavior?

Didn't think so.
Neither does the inward-facing sensor. There is no video being recorded by it. It is only monitoring where your eyes are looking and just gives general information about what’s going on such as distracted, driving following distance to close or seatbelt. I’ve heard rumors that there is a camera that can be turned on but the company does not use that.
What’s even stranger is there’s a third layer as there’s another company that controls all the information for the company does not even have access to all the information all the time.

We recently had an accident, where we would normally get to see the information on video from the outward camera, but it was not recorded, and could not be pulled up🤷‍♂️

trickpony1

We recently had an accident, where we would normally get to see the information on video from the outward camera, but it was not recorded, and could not be pulled up🤷‍♂️
Is that what you were told?
I'm not sure I believe it.

When bad things happen in our employee parking lot, curiously, the camera's weren't working or not turned on.

Funny how that works.....

Thebrownblob

Is that what you were told?
I'm not sure I believe it.

When bad things happen in our employee parking lot, curiously, the camera's weren't working or not turned on.

Funny how that works.....
It’s not just what I told, but I’ve been involved in every single usage of the devices, both front facing camera and inward sensor. There is no conspiracy. Management receives general information about distractions but they have no idea what you’re actually doing. I’m still not a fan of the eye monitoring sensor, and would welcome it being removed, but it has been a non-problem so far. We’ve had them for at least a year now. And I’m not sure what you’re talking about with the employee parking lot. Here they are actual cameras recording just about everything everywhere in the parking lot.

542thruNthru

My concern is something I've seen in the past. Driver gets into accident. DM pulls lytx video and notices the driver didn't count a full 3 seconds before going. Driver gets fire for reckless driving resulting in a serious accident.

It's BS and never sticks but it's harassment. I've also seen customers call in and say that a driver almost hit their car. They pull the camera and it shows the customer backing out and the driver not stopping because he has the right of way. They give the driver a warning letting for safe driving methods.

I have seen it work out in a driver favor though. Problem is it's going to depend on the center manager and if he or she wants to harass drivers.

anonymous23456

Why outward camera is needed? How do you win a lawsuit when someone pretends to be hit by UPS package to sue for some easy money? I heard it is a big scam in 3rd world countries too.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Neither does the inward-facing sensor. There is no video being recorded by it. It is only monitoring where your eyes are looking and just gives general information about what’s going on such as distracted, driving following distance to close or seatbelt. I’ve heard rumors that there is a camera that can be turned on but the company does not use that.
What’s even stranger is there’s a third layer as there’s another company that controls all the information for the company does not even have access to all the information all the time.

From my understanding, it's a "paid for" service.

UPS cheap's out on everything.... just like they did with the automatic opening bulk head doors.

The outward facing camera, is probably just for liability issues. The thought of it possibly recording you

inside the cab, is petty intimidation. But, it probably tightens up drivers doing stupid things. The whole point.

oldngray

nowhere special
From my understanding, it's a "paid for" service.

UPS cheap's out on everything.... just like they did with the automatic opening bulk head doors.

The outward facing camera, is probably just for liability issues. The thought of it possibly recording you

inside the cab, is petty intimidation. But, it probably tightens up drivers doing stupid things. The whole point.
It is all for safety.

Right?

anonymous23456

Yep just like they tried to sell telematics as a way to keep track of maintenance on vehicles LOL
Isn't it the purpose of digitizing maintenance records/process so that people don't have to use pen and paper anymore? How's about those airplanes at Delta, Southwest, and such? We can only be ancient for so long.