Can a Car Washer become a package car driver?

Super 9

This is probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask it anyway. Can a Car Washer eventually try to become a package car driver? I'm not in the Teamsters union at my local hub, I'm in the Mechanics union, if that makes a difference. And I work at the Horsham, PA hub. I just started there, haven't even gotten a year in yet and I'm sure I'd have to wait at least a decade before even having the slightest chance of becoming a driver :funny:. I don't really care if I can't but I was just wondering anyway.

Super 9

Ah ok, so the seniority I would gain from being a car washer would mean nothing towards trying to become a driver huh? Oh well. Thanks for the response.

I have known of two car washers who became divers but am unsure of what took place for this to happen. But, to answer your basic question the answer is yes.

trouble maker

Super 9, If the position is an article 22.3 job, that is a full-time job. In upstate NY we have one full-time seniority list. If you have more seniority than a PC driver and hold a 22.3 job, than according to our contract when we bid our jobs every 2 years, you would have the right to bid a PC position. Ups would have to send you to school. Than you would have to qualify. Hope this helps.

Super 9

Super 9, If the position is an article 22.3 job, that is a full-time job. In upstate NY we have one full-time seniority list. If you have more seniority than a PC driver and hold a 22.3 job, than according to our contract when we bid our jobs every 2 years, you would have the right to bid a PC position. Ups would have to send you to school. Than you would have to qualify. Hope this helps.
My position isn't a 22.3 job and isn't full-time unfortunately, I'm in the mechanics union IAM local 447.

Super 9

Also, I see a lot of our drivers sometimes working inside as sorters, loaders, etc. So I'm guessing I would have to be in those positions first before I became a driver since I might end up back in the hub when laid off?

evilleace

Also, I see a lot of our drivers sometimes working inside as sorters, loaders, etc. So I'm guessing I would have to be in those positions first before I became a driver since I might end up back in the hub when laid off?

Not necessarily if you were laid off they would probably have you unload trailers, or train you for whatever job you would be doing.

dragracer66

I work in your district. You have no shot to drive unless you quit. Then wait a year, then get hired as a teamster employee, then work partime for at least 10-12 years before you have a shot to go full time. It sounds harsh but that the reality of it. I know part time people in my building that have 13 years in and are just being able to sign bids that are for driving jobs. If i were you try to get a part time job in the shop as a mechanic then work your way to a full time mechanic job. But you really have no shot to be a driver. Sorry ;(

TUT

Can a well mannered monkey with solid hygiene... become a package driver? To the O.P. they say never give up on your dreams and anything is possible. I'm going to say yes it's possible to your question.