Can a packagle handler ever work full time?

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
As a package handler? Besides working a double, stupid..but simple question. If not, how can they work full time without having to be 21+...

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
As a package handler? Besides working a double, stupid..but simple question. If not, how can they work full time without having to be 21+...

no.jpg

Hangingon

If you worked in a FT sort operation you could go FT if there was an opening. I'd assume with the economy the way it is there'd probably be a long waiting list for any openings. I started FT at 19 inside, then went driving at 24.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you worked in a FT sort operation you could go FT if there was an opening. I'd assume with the economy the way it is there'd probably be a long waiting list for any openings. I started FT at 19 inside, then went driving at 24.

Yep, depends on the building, usually a hub. In the Atlantic Area fulltime sorters get the same top rate as drivers.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have had situations where all available drivers were working, so a supervisor will run a route using a package handler as a helper. The package handler gets a guranteed 8 hrs at driver wage, and OT after 3 hours if he had been preloading for 5 hours beforehand. So the answer to your question is yes, but not on a regular basis.

InTheRed

We have had situations where all available drivers were working, so a supervisor will run a route using a package handler as a helper. The package handler gets a guranteed 8 hrs at driver wage, and OT after 3 hours if he had been preloading for 5 hours beforehand. So the answer to your question is yes, but not on a regular basis.

Where in the contract does it address that situation you just proposed?

Is that in the national or local addendum?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: Can a package handler ever work full time?

We have had this situation here also. The pkg handler is simply along for the ride so that no grievances will be filed over a sup working. If mgt knows ahead of time that they will need to do this they will call the preloader and tell him not to report to preload but to instead report at driver start time.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We have full-time inside workers at our centers. And not 22.3's either. We run a hub at night so they work that 11-3 take lunch then work 4-8+. The ones that work inside are always high seniority and usually won't leave til they retire. Unless your building is running a hub, then you will not be able to work fulltime inside.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Where in the contract does it address that situation you just proposed?

Is that in the national or local addendum?

In the part where it says that sups cannot do bargaining unit work. If a sup needs to run a route, an hourly will ride with him and be paid full driver wage. Its a win/win for everyone, the company makes service on the route and a part-timer winds up with a fat paycheck.

InTheRed

In the part where it says that sups cannot do bargaining unit work. If a sup needs to run a route, an hourly will ride with him and be paid full driver wage. Its a win/win for everyone, the company makes service on the route and a part-timer winds up with a fat paycheck.

correct it does state that, however it does not state it must be a part timer (preloader or the such).

I saw drivers make a fuss when the center was out of drivers and a supe used a helper to bail out other drivers that were over dispatched at peak. Would this be allowed to be done (supe use a seasonal helper rather than a preloader) or was this grievance threat/etc a misinterpretation of the contract?