Can a supervisor make you clock back?

SUMMARY: after being told to clock out by one part time supervisor, can another full time supervisor go against that and make you clock back in?

Hi everyone, long time no talk!! To update you all on the UPS drama here, we've had 6 part timers quit/fired over the past month (both loaders and supervisors) ((one supervisor fired from a fist fight) and just last week we had our full time supervisor replaced with someone new. Anyways, to get to the point, towards the end of my shift things started to slow down. I kept cleaning everything up as directed by my supervisor until she told me I was good to go. I clocked out but stayed to read this one document they asked me to sign (info about heat illness and keeping hydrated) While reading, our new full time supervisor approached me and basically tried to coerce me to clock back in (even though from what I saw there wasn't much to do), the past weeks I've dealt with a lot of bull:censored2: so needless to say I didn't really budge much. After I explained to him that my other supervisor said I could leave and that I was already clocked out he told me, "Okay but I'm the one you and her have to answer to." and stormed off to 'talk' to her. Few seconds later I get dragged into their shouting match as a witness somehow (they kept asking me to take a side which was weird) but in the end they let me go. I was just wondering if what he said is true? Since he's a full time supervisor does he hold more authority than my part time supervisor? In that situation could I have gotten in trouble for insubordination even though my other supervisor wanted me clocked out? Thank you for taking the time to read and answer me! Hope you've all been doing well!

Attachments

• 686812A0-3206-480A-8BF2-46323070DE66.jpeg
    686812A0-3206-480A-8BF2-46323070DE66.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 206

Integrity

Binge Poster
SUMMARY: after being told to clock out by one part time supervisor, can another full time supervisor go against that and make you clock back in?

Hi everyone, long time no talk!! To update you all on the UPS drama here, we've had 6 part timers quit/fired over the past month (both loaders and supervisors) ((one supervisor fired from a fist fight) and just last week we had our full time supervisor replaced with someone new. Anyways, to get to the point, towards the end of my shift things started to slow down. I kept cleaning everything up as directed by my supervisor until she told me I was good to go. I clocked out but stayed to read this one document they asked me to sign (info about heat illness and keeping hydrated) While reading, our new full time supervisor approached me and basically tried to coerce me to clock back in (even though from what I saw there wasn't much to do), the past weeks I've dealt with a lot of bull:censored2: so needless to say I didn't really budge much. After I explained to him that my other supervisor said I could leave and that I was already clocked out he told me, "Okay but I'm the one you and her have to answer to." and stormed off to 'talk' to her. Few seconds later I get dragged into their shouting match as a witness somehow (they kept asking me to take a side which was weird) but in the end they let me go. I was just wondering if what he said is true? Since he's a full time supervisor does he hold more authority than my part time supervisor? In that situation could I have gotten in trouble for insubordination even though my other supervisor wanted me clocked out? Thank you for taking the time to read and answer me! Hope you've all been doing well!
Nice post.

I believe they probably could use the insubordination card on you if they wanted to.

Probably wouldn’t stick.

Questions:

Why was it such a problem to punch back in and work more?

Why were you reading training materials off the clock?

Is it regular practice for you to sign their training materials?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I case you missed it. Sincerely.
Thank you for trying to answer for someone else, but I was looking to obtain more details about the original post from the original poster.

The question was not for you but thank you again for trying to be helpful.

Just a thought to try to be helpful to you:

You might want to check some of the comments actually directed at you and expound on them a bit if you truly want to further the discussions that you are replying to.

Last edited:

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
You work as directed. If you were directed by a PT or FT management clock then work as directed. Once you log out, you are on your own time and have to make decision for yourself to log back in. If you say no, be sure to document and prepare to grieve any retaliation.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
This is why you don’t hang around after you clock out. Clock out and hit the door running. On another note, why were you signing anything off the clock?

Nice post.

I believe they probably could use the insubordination card on you if they wanted to.

Probably wouldn’t stick.

Questions:

Why was it such a problem to punch back in and work more?

Why were you reading training materials off the clock?

Is it regular practice for you to sign their training materials?

If I'm answering honestly, I was just tired and really wanted to go home. Not really sure what had happened but someone messed up badly the other day which caused another coworker and I to stay really late to help sort the mess out so I just wanted to catch up on some sleep. If both supervisors had asked me to clock back in I probably would have caved but I was conflicted since I had two different supervisor telling me two different things at the same time. When they were fighting it was internal conflict between the two over who everyone needs to listen to.

That's a good question, I'm not sure. I thought it was normal practice honestly. We have another co-worker who does safety stuff and in the past she mentioned it helps her a lot if we sign her safety material, she's made it a habit to do it when we're clocking out since that's usually the only time we have. This time is was brought up by a supervisor but after looking everything it seemed harmless enough so I signed. I know in the past I've asked if signing anything is a big No-No, the answer has always been to never do it but is it still bad even if it's simple things like "make sure you're staying hydrated, etc." ?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it!

JustDeliverIt

First off, never do anything off the clock. If someone comes up to you and asks you to review, read sign, so a handstand, whatever it is, you are there to work and get paid. If you are on the clock, do as asked as long as it is not unsafe. If you are off the clock, kindly remind them that you have punched out and you will be glad to review anything they want once you punch in tomorrow.

As far as getting in trouble, your direct supervisor (PT or FT, doesn't matter) told you that you were good to go. If they needed help in another part of the operation then it was you direct supervisors responsibility to find out. If anything is going to happen, the FT sup will be pissed at the PT sup for letting you go. Not your problem. At the point you were approached, since you were instructed to leave, it was your call to go back on the clock or not. Your choice, not theirs.

On a side note. If they ever do instruct you to stay and you do need/want to leave, just ask if any junior employees have left. If they need extra help, they must ask from the top down and force from the bottom up to stay. Assuming that you have some seniority on your shift, there is almost always someone with less seniority that has left.

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Seriously people, he clocked out, he as no obligation to clock back in or sign any papers off the clock. No matter how many times they ask you, no matter how much they cry

Boston25

1. Don’t ever sign anything refuse to sign everything.

2. You already clocked out you shouldn’t have even gotten involved in anything.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If I'm answering honestly, I was just tired and really wanted to go home. Not really sure what had happened but someone messed up badly the other day which caused another coworker and I to stay really late to help sort the mess out so I just wanted to catch up on some sleep. If both supervisors had asked me to clock back in I probably would have caved but I was conflicted since I had two different supervisor telling me two different things at the same time. When they were fighting it was internal conflict between the two over who everyone needs to listen to.

That's a good question, I'm not sure. I thought it was normal practice honestly. We have another co-worker who does safety stuff and in the past she mentioned it helps her a lot if we sign her safety material, she's made it a habit to do it when we're clocking out since that's usually the only time we have. This time is was brought up by a supervisor but after looking everything it seemed harmless enough so I signed. I know in the past I've asked if signing anything is a big No-No, the answer has always been to never do it but is it still bad even if it's simple things like "make sure you're staying hydrated, etc." ?

You are most welcome.

I can completely understand your position on not wanting to punch back in. I don’t think it should be a problem for you.

I always make myself immediately disappear after punching out.

Our Local doesn’t want us signing anything we are not required by law to sign per Article 6 of the Master.

They want us to get in touch with them if the Company is trying to force us to sign anything.

We should be paid for training.

PTPunchingBag

I usually tell them that I clocked out already, and if my FT really needs me, I’ll help. Our scanners are separated from the computers so I have to walk and sometimes pass them by. Usually, listen to your FT supe. The more you help them, the more they’ll help you in the future.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I usually tell them that I clocked out already, and if my FT really needs me, I’ll help. Our scanners are separated from the computers so I have to walk and sometimes pass them by. Usually, listen to your FT supe. The more you help them, the more they’ll help you in the future.
wrong