Can anyone give me some insight please

oa74

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if you can give me some insight on how hard it is to get in with Ground in the operations admin or office administrator positions. The station in my city posted those positions for full time. I've applied for both. I'm just trying to gauge if getting an interview and an offer is realistic or not. I've searched through many posts and came to the conclusion that many here don't wish FedEx on anyone, but I need to restart somewhere.

A little about myself: I worked for fedex as a seasonal package handler back in 2005, but it was only for a month or two before being layed off with the rest of the seasonal group. I have a degree in natural resources, but am trying to enter into the transportation/logistics/shipping industry. I understand I'll need to start off somewhere, and am wondering if I have a reasonable shot or not at this point.

Thanks in advance to everyone who read this and offered responses. It's genuinely appreciated. Thanks!
P. S. Sorry if there are grammar errors. I typed this on my phone and in a bit of a hurry. Thanks again.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This company is garbage these days and rife with lawsuits from former employees that were unfairly screwed over.

If you enjoy a hostile workplace, micromanagement, favoritism and a career with quicksand for a foundation, you've come to the right place.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I've searched through many posts and came to the conclusion that many here don't wish FedEx on anyone, but I need to restart somewhere.
Please do the hugest favor you've ever done for yourself and re-start somewhere else (Cactus was actually sugar-coating it).

CJinx

They usually promote from within for those jobs but it couldn't hurt to apply anyway; especially if the station was only recently built. New stations tend to have to hire office personnel "off the street" when no one wants to transfer there.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
(Cactus was actually sugar-coating it).

sugar coated.jpg

CJinx

Those are office positions that have the potential for promotions and pay better than express courier jobs, but don't let that get in the way of trashing the company. ;)

MAKAVELI

Those are office positions that have the potential for promotions and pay better than express courier jobs, but don't let that get in the way of trashing the company. ;)
Most of us could easily do your job but chose to not work inside an office. The same probably couldn't be said for you.;)

CJinx

With the extra money that comes from an upwardly mobile position, go ahead and get a gym membership. Woo

MAKAVELI

With the extra money that comes from an upwardly mobile position, go ahead and get a gym membership. Woo
I've been here too long to know a simple desk jockey doesn't make very much at all. You don't start making a decent wage until you get into upper management and you have to sell your soul for it. So keep drinking that kool aid and you'll be well on your way to making $.You sound like a perfect fit for management.;)

vantexan

I've been here too long to know a simple desk jockey doesn't make very much at all. You don't start making a decent wage until you get into upper management and you have to sell your soul for it. So keep drinking that kool aid and you'll be well on your way to making $.You sound like a perfect fit for management.;)
Sell your soul: make money.
Don't sell it: stay poor.
So why do we constantly bitch if the above is true?

STFXG

Ops managers at Ground are paid pretty decent. Not sure what CJinx does at her building, but no matter what her job position is she is probably making at least what a starting express driver is paid. Nearly everyone above a package handler makes that much.

Artee

Ops managers at Ground are paid pretty decent.

Have any idea of what pretty decent is? Just curious if a starting ops mgr at Ground makes more than Express. The starting manager pay at Express is right around $63k. Pretty piss poor considering if you have any topped out couriers in your workgroup they are making between $75-85k. Closer to 100K in the top market levels. So if CJ is making $70k sitting in a Ground office and the drivers at Ground at scraping by on $750 a week thats pretty bad. Now if she and other office workers at ground are getting paid starting Express courier wage, that is certainly not anything to brag about either.

STFXG

Have any idea of what pretty decent is? Just curious if a starting ops mgr at Ground makes more than Express. The starting manager pay at Express is right around $63k. Pretty piss poor considering if you have any topped out couriers in your workgroup they are making between $75-85k. Closer to 100K in the top market levels. So if CJ is making $70k sitting in a Ground office and the drivers at Ground at scraping by on $750 a week thats pretty bad. Now if she and other office workers at ground are getting paid starting Express courier wage, that is certainly not anything to brag about either.

63k for an entry level management job is "piss poor"? What world are you living in?

Artee

63k for an entry level management job is "piss poor"? What world are you living in?

I ain't living in Oklahoma I can tell you that. When the couriers you manage are making over $80k and you are at $63k and maybe in 7 years you might be lucky to get to $71K? LOL...Yea its pretty bad pay. And they wonder why they can't attract any decent managers. You want to attract experienced couriers or employees that know whats going on and can make a decision? They aren't going to take a $20k paycut to come do that job. Pay me accordingly for the 14 hour days and all the crap that comes along with it and I might listen to your offer. Otherwise FedEx will be stuck promoting handlers and 2 year part time couriers into management. Great pay increase for them, but they quickly learn the pay isn't commensurate to the work.

I have friends in management with other companies and they easily start out at $80k and move quickly up from there. But hey if you would be happy to be a FedEx manager for $63K a year, they are looking for guys just like you.