Can I be taken off the road because Im overdo for a yearly safety ride

Trucker Clock

I didn’t have accident I didn’t have a issue on the road . Management said I have to be taken off road because I’m overdue for safety ride and since I’m 22.4 I haven’t been driving during the week ( only Saturdays ) so that means now Saturdays are taken away until I get a safety ride . Can they do that?

That depends. They can take anybody off road, but they can't remove them from the payroll. You are still guaranteed your 8.

And it can get complicated past that. If you already worked 5 days, Mon-Fri, then you already got your weekly guarantee and they do not have to work you Saturday.

If you are Tue-Sat and have only worked 4 days, then they still owe you 8 for Saturday. They have to find some non-driving work for you to do.

Now, here's where it gets a little complicated. If they need drivers over and above the Tue-Sat drivers, it becomes extra work. They can work anybody who has not gotten their 5 days in first, but after that, it goes by seniority.

So, if you want to work a 6th day and your seniority allows you to work, they still have to find you 8 hours of non-driving work to do.

qdg2

That depends. They can take anybody off road, but they can't remove them from the payroll. You are still guaranteed your 8.

And it can get complicated past that. If you already worked 5 days, Mon-Fri, then you already got your weekly guarantee and they do not have to work you Saturday.

If you are Tue-Sat and have only worked 4 days, then they still owe you 8 for Saturday. They have to find some non-driving work for you to do.

Now, here's where it gets a little complicated. If they need drivers over and above the Tue-Sat drivers, it becomes extra work. They can work anybody who has not gotten their 5 days in first, but after that, it goes by seniority.

So, if you want to work a 6th day and your seniority allows you to work, they still have to find you 8 hours of non-driving work to do.
Here you were only guaranteed 8 if you punched in and started working. No such thing here as guaranteed weekly. Now, there could be lot's of lay-offs or a few depending on your seniority for you not to work. Example: if your run was canceled for some reason.....you could accept it or bump or work extra or whatever.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Isn't it weird how things are different from place to place?

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
what's going on is they're getting leaned on to do layoffs by their bosses, so they're serving you up baloney excuses to see if you'll bite. if you're not going to that won't mean their bosses will go easy on them, study hard for that safety ride and be prepared for them to fail you for the slightest little screwup.

qdg2

what's going on is they're getting leaned on to do layoffs by their bosses, so they're serving you up baloney excuses to see if you'll bite. if you're not going to that won't mean their bosses will go easy on them, study hard for that safety ride and be prepared for them to fail you for the slightest little screwup.
When are you supposed to "study"? Off the clock? AND STUDY WHAT EXACTLY" I couldn't recite much of anything past my initial qual. For the next 42 years. I WAS a 33 year Circle of Honor DRIVER.

How do you fail a safety ride?

In the past(right up until I retired) the observer was required to record ten things "you screwed up". Absolutely it was this way.

The only training was "Sign here".