Can I Refuse to Go "Help"?

Exactly, I pull my own weight so should other drivers. The only exception is for a new driver that I happen to like or a vet that’s having a rough day. Other than that get friend’d, we have all been bricked out, just get it done. I felt real bad having other drivers help me when I was friend’d during the handful of times I legit needed help. I know they have a family that wants them home, as do I.
They always seem to grease the squeaky wheel. I'll be more than happy to go and get their pick up volume and let them stay out till 9:00 or 10:00
Maybe after that they will learn how to pick up the pace

35years

Gravy route
Drivers crying about helping crybaby drivers. They never file.

Figure it out guys. It's not the other driver's fault.
He didn't dispatch himself....
Management did.
He didn't require you to help....
Management did.

Stop crying.
Stop running.
Stop burning break.
File, file, file.

Est.1998

Usually 35-45 depending on fb ow far they push it out with splits. I have a heavy retail area on my route that's usually 45ish commercial stops in the morning. That other particular stop is at the other far end of my route.
I've been on routes like that.
Dispatch will have a school that's on the other end of a 75 mile route making it almost impossible to deliver to before they left (if i followed ODO).
35-45 miles, I'd stop by there during air time or shortly after.
Your loop is small, and going there won't really hurt your time.
Before leaving the hub, find the pkg and keep it up front.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
5B789726-DC1E-47CA-A564-0974510BA3E5.jpeg

AKCoverMan

At my center if you have businesses you didn’t know about on a cover route they usually instruct you to sheet them as Not Ready Residential at the end of the day
And if so instructed the driver should reply “NO CANNOT SHEET DISHONESTLY” to the ods message. If instructed verbally require the instructions be sent via DIAD, then give above reply.

I hate being told to do this or to blame overdispatch missed as ECD on a sunny day.

AKCoverMan

Drivers crying about helping crybaby drivers. They never file.

Figure it out guys. It's not the other driver's fault.
He didn't dispatch himself....
Management did.
He didn't require you to help....
Management did.

Stop crying.
Stop running.
Stop burning break.
File, file, file.
This!! I don’t get into worrying about WHO or WHY I’m being dispatched to help. If I get the green light, I go. It’s not somebody else’s work anymore it’s my work, and my customers, and I am being well paid. I expect the company knows they are burning one of their three 9.5 strikes in calling my name (or if not that’s their problem) so I don’t bother telling them.

But I file every 9.5 violation. Most often i am left alone, and if not I’m making mad money so lil closer §to retirement finish line and/or lil extra booty for vacation spending.

Yes, some people are slackers but not my job to improve them nor do I waste time or energy being pissed with them.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Yup. You're going to get people fired.

That's not how that works... Lol. You've gotten lucky so far.
That’s not how any of this works. Every building is wildly different from the next one over. If you’re dumb enough to take a strangers quote off a message board as law of land. You should be fired.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
That’s not how any of this works. Every building is wildly different from the next one over. If you’re dumb enough to take a strangers quote off a message board as law of land. You should be fired.
It has absolutely nothing to do with what one building does versus another.

It has to do with what the contract says. Just because you have gotten away with something doesn't mean it will continue that way.

Here's what local 710 says in article 16:
The Employer shall not discharge nor suspend any Employee without just cause, but in respect to discharge or suspension, shall give at least one warning notice of a complaint against such Employee to the Employee in writing and a copy of the same to the Union, except that no warning notice need be given to an Employee before he is suspended or discharged if the cause of such suspension or discharge is dishonesty, drinking of, or under the influence of alcoholic beverages or narcotics during the workday, personal possession or use of drugs, while on duty or the carrying of unauthorized passengers while on the job. It is understood that there are other offenses of extreme seriousness that an Employee will be discharged for without a warning notice. The warning notice, as herein provided, shall not remain in effect for a period of more than nine (9) months from the date of said warning notice. No employee shall be disciplined for exceeding personal time based on data received from the DIAD or IVIS or other information technology.

This is what matters (for my local. The national, and the various riders may have different wording.)

While I agree that everything read online should be taken with a grain of salt, you were very confidently giving advice that could get people in a lot of hot water earlier.
You can absolutely say no 2 times. If they ask a 3rd time, it’s helping time. And yes if you continue to refuse at that point, you’ll be disciplined for refusing to work as directed. Sucks I know

Sixth Punch Sense

This!! I don’t get into worrying about WHO or WHY I’m being dispatched to help. If I get the green light, I go. It’s not somebody else’s work anymore it’s my work, and my customers, and I am being well paid. I expect the company knows they are burning one of their three 9.5 strikes in calling my name (or if not that’s their problem) so I don’t bother telling them.

But I file every 9.5 violation. Most often i am left alone, and if not I’m making mad money so lil closer §to retirement finish line and/or lil extra booty for vacation spending.

Yes, some people are slackers but not my job to improve them nor do I waste time or energy being pissed with them.
I agree with this, the problem is 22.4's don't get protection.

rocket man

I'm in a semi suburban area. Have usually 40-45 commercial stops in the morning and then 150 or so resi's . The volume of packages for my commercial stops generally sets the flow of the day. If I get alot of bulk on those it I end up out there way later
You work to hard

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
It has absolutely nothing to do with what one building does versus another.

It has to do with what the contract says. Just because you have gotten away with something doesn't mean it will continue that way.

Here's what local 710 says in article 16:

This is what matters (for my local. The national, and the various riders may have different wording.)

While I agree that everything read online should be taken with a grain of salt, you were very confidently giving advice that could get people in a lot of hot water earlier.
Okay I get your point and agree. Not sure why you’re coming at me so hard. I kind of proved your point. Check With your local, not what I say on the internet.