Can I Refuse to Go "Help"?

ManInBrown

Agree minus the "dropping anchor" part. I've never been a fan of laying down on the job. Especially with all the technology they use to track us. Gradual and occasional drops in a driver's average speeds and tendencies are basically negligible. But a sudden/drastic drop immediately after being instructed to help another driver (or for whatever reason at any time) is a red flag and makes it easier for them to put a large target on the back of drivers that, if they don't have balls of steel and adequate knowledge of the contract, will end up folding like a cheap suite under the pressure of production rides and whatever else they get thrown at them.

Yes, we can say "it was dark, I don't know/remember the area, I was tired, etc" but like I said....I don't think many of the drivers that ask about this have the knowledge and/or guts to hold up under the pressure that comes from management that is out for blood. My advice for them is to consistently follow the methods as much as humanly possible and NEVER speed up or cut corners. Even if given an unreasonable amount of extra stops. That makes it harder for them to give more work or being sent to help others. And the consistency in methods/tendencies will make them think twice about sending such a driver as much as one that is known to lay down. The difference is that its much harder to discipline the the driver that is consistent.
Agree. Worded poorly. I should’ve said do the job the way it’s supposed to be done, instead of running around like a chicken with your head cut off, only to be sent to be a hero when you think you’re done. Stop walking on grass. Ring doorbells instead of leaving everything at the garage. Pull mirrors in. Use hand truck anytime it will aid delivery. Cross the street behind the truck. Exit out the proper door. Etc, Etc.

quad decade guy

Agree minus the "dropping anchor" part. I've never been a fan of laying down on the job. Especially with all the technology they use to track us. Gradual and occasional drops in a driver's average speeds and tendencies are basically negligible. But a sudden/drastic drop immediately after being instructed to help another driver (or for whatever reason at any time) is a red flag and makes it easier for them to put a large target on the back of drivers that, if they don't have balls of steel and adequate knowledge of the contract, will end up folding like a cheap suite under the pressure of production rides and whatever else they get thrown at them.

Yes, we can say "it was dark, I don't know/remember the area, I was tired, etc" but like I said....I don't think many of the drivers that ask about this have the knowledge and/or guts to hold up under the pressure that comes from management that is out for blood. My advice for them is to consistently follow the methods as much as humanly possible and NEVER speed up or cut corners. Even if given an unreasonable amount of extra stops. That makes it harder for them to give more work or being sent to help others. And the consistency in methods/tendencies will make them think twice about sending such a driver as much as one that is known to lay down. The difference is that its much harder to discipline the the driver that is consistent.
Bravo! Exactly correct. "Laying down" used to be/is theft of time. Now, proving such especially on extra work etc. could be difficult. It always amazed me how we were expected to run scratch in any scenario...no exceptions. In the end, do your best with what you have and you'll never have to look over your shoulder at UPS or in life.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Bravo! Exactly correct. "Laying down" used to be/is theft of time. Now, proving such especially on extra work etc. could be difficult. It always amazed me how we were expected to run scratch in any scenario...no exceptions. In the end, do your best with what you have and you'll never have to look over your shoulder at UPS or in life.
Amen brother

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
5CE0B2D3-4C21-487A-AB94-AA990F22876F.gif

Seymour Packages

Took a week's worth of vacation earlier in the year. My route is 80% apartment buildings. A runner got on my route and dropped every stop in the lobbies, mailrooms, etc. Would get done by 16:00 and go help or go home with his guarantee. I came back with 50 more stops on my route. I resumed taking EVERYTHING to the door except in doorman buildings. I got the old "well he ran your route in x amount of hours. Why can't you?" The reply was simple. "I don't run. Everything to the door. That's the service customers pay for." My dispatch was promptly adjusted to normal, pre runner levels.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Took a week's worth of vacation earlier in the year. My route is 80% apartment buildings. A runner got on my route and dropped every stop in the lobbies, mailrooms, etc. Would get done by 16:00 and go help or go home with his guarantee. I came back with 50 more stops on my route. I resumed taking EVERYTHING to the door except in doorman buildings. I got the old "well he ran your route in x amount of hours. Why can't you?" The reply was simple. "I don't run. Everything to the door. That's the service customers pay for." My dispatch was promptly adjusted to normal, pre runner levels.
Did he brag about “killing it” on your route?
I love when they brag.

quad decade guy

I haven't delivered pkg car in a while. Used to be that "dispatch" was based on time studies. Clipboard and stopwatch style. Sometimes you won but almost always lost time. Most folks that covered my run avoided it like the plague. It was a heavy industrial route(nut and bolt) with 60 pickups from heavy industrial machinery to say 50 boxes of 50lb bolts. Yeah....2500lbs one stop.

wht1zzfe

I consistently follow the methods. And if that means sheeting 75% of the stops as missed because following the methods took me up to 14 hours, then so be it. Safety first.
How does missed work? I sheeted two businesses missed once. Satellite route I'd never done. Last two stops of the day. Both closed. Was told I might be walked out the following week.

JJinVA

How does missed work? I sheeted two businesses missed once. Satellite route I'd never done. Last two stops of the day. Both closed. Was told I might be walked out the following week.
Ive had about a dozen missed businesses so far due to bad dispatch. But in the future, if you aren't sure if you have businesses left, call the center after or before your lunch break and ask "do I have any businesses left?" Theyll tell you.

I doubt you'll be walked out over it

Supraloud84

I sheeted the same business as missed twice this week. They put it in my last 40 stops of 200+. Its a dentist office and closed whenever they feel like it. If I follow ODO, the res no way I'll get there before 430 at the earliest.