Can I refuse to work through break?

Nah
If a supe works during your break grieve em. They are only allowed to work for training purposes, to demonstrate safety, or due to an act of God. A break does not fall under any of those exceptions to the language prohibiting supervisors working.
Or when they've exhausted all options, which never happens so the point is moot.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
So you'd rather supervisors not help out so everyone has to work that much harder to handle the load when someone goes on break?

They are not helping unless it’s an emergency. They are taking your work. Over the course of the shift if they cover everybody’s break that’s at least one extra loader who they should have hired but did not. The company does it on purpose.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I do not think this is a good approach.

This behavior needs to be stopped right at the source, not ignored.
Some other sucker may not know his rights and let management push him around.

We have contractual rights, and that supe needs to get checked. Hard.
The village idiot has no idea what she’s jabbering about

AKCoverMan

So you'd rather supervisors not help out so everyone has to work that much harder to handle the load when someone goes on break?
Not work that much HARDER, work that much LONGER. If Supe’s don’t help the operation takes few more minutes which is lil more pay in every members check and lil more contribution to pension. Depending how much “covering for breaks” these sups do might add up to another job.

So no, we don’t want management doing our work, almost never.

upser2020

On paper I get what you're saying but in practice it's not always that neat. Granted the best solution is just do the building wide break which was standard procedure pre covid. Some areas the flow is still coming and it's not always as simple as just work at the same pace and let it take longer(small sort tilt tray line for example). Also the idea of the sort just taking longer isn't appealing to most people I know. By the time the shift is getting close to the normal end time most people are itching to get out the door.

I know the logic that if you grieve enough management might start making changes but one problem is that you aren't filing grievances against the person who made the decision which lead to supervisors working, but the part time supervisor who at times is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Also I know I have much more respect for sups who will lend a hand when needed vs those who just sit back and watch an area burn down. So morale comes into play also.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
On paper I get what you're saying but in practice it's not always that neat. Granted the best solution is just do the building wide break which was standard procedure pre covid. Some areas the flow is still coming and it's not always as simple as just work at the same pace and let it take longer(small sort tilt tray line for example). Also the idea of the sort just taking longer isn't appealing to most people I know. By the time the shift is getting close to the normal end time most people are itching to get out the door.

I know the logic that if you grieve enough management might start making changes but one problem is that you aren't filing grievances against the person who made the decision which lead to supervisors working, but the part time supervisor who at times is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Also I know I have much more respect for sups who will lend a hand when needed vs those who just sit back and watch an area burn down. So morale comes into play also.
You sound like a fairly new guy.

It absolutely is as simple as working at the same pace and letting it take longer.
It doesn't matter if people want to leave.
Contractually speaking, the work is to be done by hourlies. Not management.

I do not have more respect for supes who work.
I have less.
We have an agreement. A contract. I expect them to follow their parts of it, just like they expect me to follow my parts.

And when you grieve a PT supe, trust me, the center manager ends up wanting to know why, and he generally ends up talking to the FT that made that situation happen.

Big Rigger

No, it's break.

Not really sure if it is break if they keep working?
It was my understanding that they got NO break. That's why I replied as I did.
It was supposed to be somewhat comical. But not receiving a paid break as outlined in their CBA is subject the the grievance procedure.
Taking a poop break everyday until that is settled or if the company complies prior to the local hearing it will get them the break they need and probably longer than the ten minutes they get here.

Constipation is a wonderful thing at times.

Last edited:

Big Rigger

Not work that much HARDER, work that much LONGER. If Supe’s don’t help the operation takes few more minutes which is lil more pay in every members check and lil more contribution to pension. Depending how much “covering for breaks” these sups do might add up to another job.

So no, we don’t want management doing our work, almost never.
They never wanted to work when they were bargaining unit workers but now that they're supes they want to work all the time. Crooked people. Thankfully there's a union, a grievance procedure, and a Labor Board.
Use them all.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It was my understanding that they got NO break. That's why I replied as I did.
It was supposed to be somewhat comical. But not receiving a paid break as outlined in their CBA is subject the the grievance procedure.
Taking a poop break everyday until that is settled or if the company complies prior to the local hearing it will get them the break they need and probably longer than the ten minutes they get here.

Constipation is a wonderful thing at times.
So, if this is paid break, I'm sure the sup adds the break time on the employee's paid day. Lol

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
They are allowed to do staggared breaks, if that is not the case you take a break when it is called or you make them give you one at some point, second it is unsafe to run belts without people in that area, they have to give you a break period, i dont think it matters what your postion is, seasonal, union etc..

Karma...

supervisors should supervisor work only when training or in a declared emergency agreed to with the steward.......aside from those conditions its called stealing work and is a contract violation.......its amazing that this still goes on ...obviously the contract language is weak. in my day if supervisors worked all the teamsters in that area would immediately stop and begin pointing to their heads indicating the need to use the " head "......very effective...

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
supervisors should supervisor work only when training or in a declared emergency agreed to with the steward.......aside from those conditions its called stealing work and is a contract violation.......its amazing that this still goes on ...obviously the contract language is weak. in my day if supervisors worked all the teamsters in that area would immediately stop and begin pointing to their heads indicating the need to use the " head "......very effective...
Screenshot_20210818-164421_YouTube.jpg

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

It’s not so much weak language as a lack of will to enforce the contract among the inside workers. Half the workforce never makes it past a few months.