Breaks for Western Region / Southwest Sort Rider Warehouse?

Hello
This is regarding Southwest Sort Rider Section 11 - Rest Breaks
I know we get initial first 10 minutes break for working less than 4 hours or a initial first 15 minute break if planned to work more than 4 hours.

But I also read this part in the contract:

Commencing after the fourth (4th) hour and each hour thereafter, the employee shall be entitled to a five (5) minute rest break not to exceed that time agreed to under the Labor Agreement for fulltime employees. The Company shall have the option to;

1. Delay the hourly breaks in order to combine them.
2. Stop the entire operation for break purposes or give as individual breaks.

3. Pay for those breaks earned after guaranteed hours.

Am I interpreting correctly below?
I work 4 hours 30 minutes = extra 5 minutes rest break
I work 5 hours 30 minutes = extra 10 minutes rest break
I work 6 hours 30 minutes = extra 15 minutes rest break

542thruNthru

Hello
This is regarding Southwest Sort Rider Section 11 - Rest Breaks
I know we get initial first 10 minutes break for working less than 4 hours or a initial first 15 minute break if planned to work more than 4 hours.

But I also read this part in the contract:

Commencing after the fourth (4th) hour and each hour thereafter, the employee shall be entitled to a five (5) minute rest break not to exceed that time agreed to under the Labor Agreement for fulltime employees. The Company shall have the option to;

Am I interpreting correctly below?
4 hours is 15 min
5 hours is 20 min
6 hours is 25 min.

4 hours is 15 min
5 hours is 20 min
6 hours is 25 min.
More confused now lol
SECTION 11 - REST BREAKS 10
The employer agrees that part-time employees working in three and one-half (3½) hour locations shall be entitled to a ten (10) minute rest break that shall be taken as close to the middle of the shift as possible. When part-time employees are planned to work at least four (4) hours the initial break shall be fifteen (15) minutes and shall be taken as close to the middle of the shift as possible.
Say they plan to work us at least 4 hours and we get our initial 15 minute break as above.....then.....

Breaks are intended to provide employees rest during their shift. Breaks shall not be unreasonably delayed or denied to force an employee to take their break at the end of their shift. It shall be the employer’s responsibility to ensure each employee’s earned break(s) are taken or compensated.
Does this part mean:

542thruNthru

More confused now lol

Say they plan to work us at least 4 hours and we get our initial 15 minute break as above.....then.....

Does this part mean:
The language was changed because the company was only giving 10 min breaks and then telling members that if they want their additionally 5 min they have to stay after the sort. The new language was added to stop this and make the company give 15 min if the planned sort was expected to go over 4 hours. The language says commencing after the 4th hour you get 5 min that's why it's 15 and then every hour after that. Which would be 5 hours and 6 hours and so on.

So to make it simple for you..
3 1/2 to 3.99 hours is 10 min break
4 to 4.99 hours is 15 min break
5 to 5.99 hours is another 5 min break
6 to 6.99 hours is another 5 min break.

Thebrownblob

The language was changed because the company was only giving 10 min breaks and then telling members that if they want their additionally 5 min they have to stay after the sort. The new language was added to stop this and make the company give 15 min if the planned sort was expected to go over 4 hours. The language says commencing after the 4th hour you get 5 min that's why it's 15 and then every hour after that. Which would be 5 hours and 6 hours and so on.

Is this anything we can steal for the central? I mean borrow?

Thebrownblob

We care about part timers in the west. That's why they are part of our pension. The central could learn a thing or two from us.
1698096887748.gif

542thruNthru

The West cares about stacking all those dollars from those part-timers (the vast majority) who never vest.

....why wouldn't they?
Like I said... you guys could learn a thing or two from us.

Give a man a fish, he eats for one day. Teach a man to fish, he doesn't take your pension money every contract. ;)

Max Headroom

The West cares about stacking all those dollars from those part-timers (the vast majority) who never vest.

....why wouldn't they?
You are more correct than you will ever know. The superiority of our pension funds main source of income is UPS and specialty the part timer. Most never vest or receive anything. It is a money pit for a majority of our members.

Thank You

MattM

Anyone else work at air hubs? Our breaks tend to come during the initial downtime when jets are usually delayed/late. If we happen to get a half hour of downtime, but are forced to stay 6 hours, could they technically say you already had your time off all at once initially? Breaks don’t seem to be designated or approved. They sort of happen naturally at my building.