Can I work as a package handler at ups if I work part time for the post office?

medilook

I have a dock tour tomorrow for a package handler job, but the problem is I already work part time at the post office and i heard ups will not hire you if work at post office because of conflict of interest. Is this true?

I also wanted to ask some of the people working as package handlers if they can give me an ideae what the job is like? Is it really as physically demanding as they say it is? My goal is to become a full time Ups employee either working as a driver or working inside the wharehouse. I heard the job prospects are good at ups as they're going to be hiring 100,000 employees/drivers in the next 10 years. The post office is going the opposite direction laying off 100,000 employees in the same time frame.

HULKAMANIA

I know when I worked preload there was a guy that got a job with the USPS and USPS made him quit UPS. I dont know if thats what its like everywhere but just thought Id throw that out there.

brown_trousers

I have a dock tour tomorrow for a package handler job, but the problem is I already work part time at the post office and i heard ups will not hire you if work at post office because of conflict of interest. Is this true?

I also wanted to ask some of the people working as package handlers if they can give me an ideae what the job is like? Is it really as physically demanding as they say it is? My goal is to become a full time Ups employee either working as a driver or working inside the wharehouse. I heard the job prospects are good at ups as they're going to be hiring 100,000 employees/drivers in the next 10 years. The post office is going the opposite direction laying off 100,000 employees in the same time frame.

Don't be fooled by that number. It's true that we'll be hiring a lot of part-time help, especially during christmas season, but a good percentage of that is just seasonal help that gets laid off in january. The ones that don't get laid off will be waiting many, many years before getting an offer to become a driver, in some places the wait is over a decade.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I know when I worked preload there was a guy that got a job with the USPS and USPS made him quit UPS. I dont know if thats what its like everywhere but just thought Id throw that out there.

They shouldn't be able to. Its really nobody's business what your second job is, or if you even have a second job.

Maybe if you were quite high up in UPS and also worked at FedEx high up and were trying to "leak secrets" (like there are any secrets between the two) then it could be a conflict of interest, but other than that I just don't see it.

brown_trousers

Technically speaking... USPS was established as a government agency, and as such is not allowed to be competitive in the business world. So by U.S. law it has no competitors. Even if you signed a no-competition agreement, it wouldn't apply

kdogg788

The job is pretty demanding. I wake up for my main job some mornings feeling like the victim of a blanket party. Whether you work at USPS or not is not really something they would care about. Of course they do want to list employment history and current employer if there is one.

There is a major difference between UPS and USPS in my personal observation. The USPS counter employees around here are all 60+ and work at the speed of water eroding the Grand Canyon. The drivers are AWFUL. The guy who delivers to my apartment complex will deliver one building, then sit in his truck for an hour, do another, and leave for 45 minutes and come back. The husband of one of my wife's best friends worked 4 to 5 hours or so on his route and was home every day by 11:30 or noon and getting paid 8 because he's a salaried government employee.

At the hub I'm at now just about everyone I've met has been great and I've worked in nearly every section of the loading. They won't pound you for numbers as long as you are doing your best to keep your belt clear and help out everyone else with their loads when you're light and they are getting jammed. The sooner everyone is done, the sooner everyone can go home.

-k

medilook

well, i got an email saying that i was disqualified because i did not live in the city or a neighboring city near the hub. I only live 30 mins away. suxs.