Can/Should I file?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I don't get why you aren't just walking up to that (female) driver in the morning and taking the DIAD from her and telling her you're bumping her off the route. She then has to go to the supe and ask what she is doing. If he comes back to you and makes you work the other route then tell him you'll file a grievance and I would bet that it ends there. Actually I would bet that it would end when you bump her.

Quit asking the supe for permission - just do it.

Good luck with the panel getting your job back after this one!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't get why you aren't just walking up to that (female) driver in the morning and taking the DIAD from her and telling her you're bumping her off the route. She then has to go to the supe and ask what she is doing. If he comes back to you and makes you work the other route then tell him you'll file a grievance and I would bet that it ends there. Actually I would bet that it would end when you bump her.

I really hope you're joking. Pull something like that around here and you'll be getting a walk to the gate that morning.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Well, where I come from, the rules for cover drivers went like this: when the vacation list went up, it was picked by seniority, first bid drivers, then unassigned. All picked by seniority. If a cover driver didn't want to cover a vacation route, he picked "float". The list came down on Friday, it was finalized, and posted by Friday afternoon with all of the picks. Come Monday, when call-ins, optional days and base cars that didn't have regular drivers opened up, the picks, again, went by seniority, first bid drivers, then unassigned drivers that didn't pick a vacation. Drivers off on Comp or disability had their routes held down, again by seniority.

Now, managers always tried working the bids to their advantage, but that stopped when drivers simply stepped up and said, "NO, this is the route I'm going to run." They always tried getting newer drivers on the easier routes to make things run smoother. Normally, this was because they would never run a route with a newer driver, fearing that the route wouldn't get done. So, they tried twisting arms to get more experienced drivers to run routes they might not want to run, if only because they had ran them before. But that is not the driver's problem. But, and it is a big but, the driver had to stand up for him/herself and demand to run the route they wanted (as long as was their pick to make). There is nothing managers can do if a driver has the seniority and demands to run a route in their right to run.

When I was a bid cover driver (waaay back when) I had many heated arguments with sups because I knew every route in the center. So, some days, there might be a real nasty, ball-buster that only I knew how to run. But I was second on the list to pick, and normally I would pick a route I would WANT to run. I always used to warn sups that they needed to train newer drivers on as many routes as possible because when they wanted me to run a route I didn't want, they would be friend$cked. Yeah, yeah, we will was what they always said. Did they train though? Of course not.

So, before the message was cemented in their heads, they would try all kinds of tactics to get me to run some POS so they wouldn't have to worry about getting that route done that day. It puts a smile on my face thinking back on some of those blow out arguments on the boxline and in front of all of the other drivers. Man, they used to get fired up, usually because they realized one of them was going to have to brown up and run a packed P-1000 in some industrial area with a new hire. But you know what? Tough testies. My job wasn't to fill management holes and to make a sups job easier. My seniority and it's benefits didn't stop because they didn't plan accordingly. What is the expression? "Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part." They always hated hearing that one.

You OP isn't real clear. It lacks some details. And different areas have different agreements, but it sounds like this sup is protecting your female driver. Maybe because he knows she will go splat on routes she doesn't know. Maybe he is banging her and hates you. You're not the first. But if you have the right to pick over her, well, you gotta put one foot in front of the other and stand firm. Don't get mad, don't start yelling, and for your own sake, stay off the DIAD messages with personal opinions. Tell them, "No, this is the route I will be running today/this week/or for the duration." As long as it is in your right to do so, do so. Yeah, they will get mad, maybe even threaten you. All of that doesn't matter. You can file later on that, but run the routes you are entitled to run. Stand up for yourself, and be consistent. Trust me, if you show them that you are sticking to the rules EVERYDAY, they will eventually try this crap on drivers further down the seniority list.

Just pay it forward to those drivers when you see them getting the scroogie.

Things have changed.If a cover driver does that now he will be terminated for such reasons as 'refusing to work as directed' 'insubordination' 'unauthorized work slowdown/sabotage' yes they get their jobs back,after a month of sitting on the sidelines.
if the younger cover drivers are forced run routes they dont know they will be out until 1030 with missed( one driver in our center was forced to run a route and he was FIVE HOURS over,so of course they dont make him run what he claims not to know) ,or will bring the truck back and claim they got sick on area. These guys run the gravy and the Senior cover drivers get the shaft

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Things have changed.If a cover driver does that now he will be terminated for such reasons as 'refusing to work as directed' 'insubordination' 'unauthorized work slowdown/sabotage' yes they get their jobs back,after a month of sitting on the sidelines.
if the younger cover drivers are forced run routes they dont know they will be out until 1030 with missed( one driver in our center was forced to run a route and he was FIVE HOURS over,so of course they dont make him run what he claims not to know) ,or will bring the truck back and claim they got sick on area. These guys run the gravy and the Senior cover drivers get the shaft

That's BS. Seniority doesn't stop because UPS gets in a bind. The center I left still does it that way. It sounds like you've got nobody pressing the issue or bad representation.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
That's BS. Seniority doesn't stop because UPS gets in a bind. The center I left still does it that way. It sounds like you've got nobody pressing the issue or bad representation.

We simply have a surplus of Cover Drivers and when the Senior Cover drivers see one or two get terminated ( yes they get reinstated) the more senior cover drivers are less likely to push the issue . Its the damndest thing.

Dracula

Do they not have BID cover drivers? Sounds like these drivers are afraid of their own shadows. Why don't they file grievances? This is a clear violation of the contract. If they let UPS get away with this, what's next?

Ms.PacMan

Good luck with the panel getting your job back after this one!!
How do you figure getting fired for bumping a junior driver? I said if the supe makes him do the other route to file a grievance.

That's how it's done here. Non-bid drivers don't like the dispatch and proceed to bump someone, etc. and the odd man out does whatever route is left. Drivers and supes know the contract - it is what it is and we don't act as if we need permission to go by it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not up to drivers to dispatch themselves. If there is a dispute as to who is going to run what area let the on-cars sort it out. Do not take it upon yourself to grab a DIAD out of another driver's hands.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Work as directed and grieve later. File more paperwork everytime this happens and they'll end up caving eventually just to stop the paperwork waterfall. Maybe if the other cover drivers see you get your issues fixed they'll grow a set and do the same thing.

Ms.PacMan

It's not up to drivers to dispatch themselves. If there is a dispute as to who is going to run what area let the on-cars sort it out. Do not take it upon yourself to grab a DIAD out of another driver's hands.
Oh, stop.

Exercising seniority is not a big deal. I did not suggest he grab the DIAD or do anything remotely hostile and you and grgrcc88 are reading too much into the word take.

We have a white board in the office with all the cover areas and cover driver's names next to them. If they don't like the route they're doing and the other driver is already punched in they ask him for the DIAD and tell him they're bumping him. Supes are told by either driver, usually the driver who has been bumped. Area knowledge does come into play sometimes but more often than not the on car will be riding that day or convince the junior driver they can do the route blind.

Buck Fifty

Undies, your making it hard on yourself. Come in to work, if they do not honor your seniority than file the grievance 48 & 66. File a grievance every single time your seniority is violated. Notice everything so far has required no words coming from your mouth !!! The only thing your mouth should be doing is smiling every morning you come in and your seniority is violated. Go out on the route and deliver it by the methods, no games, no lip, no troubles. AND NO RUNNING !!!

If the Sup wants to get in your face when you come back in at 10:30 and your tired, give him your tired **** eating grin.(Kinda like the one Mitt was giving Obama) Again no words are needed. If the Sup insist to speak with you at all, you get a steward (if there isn't one available then there will be no meeting). If there is a meeting, your only response is " I don't feel comfortable answering that question.The key is, if you say nothing and smile all the time then they cant take advantage of your obvious volatility. You care way too much for your own good. Go home,sleep, get up and repeat. Results will vary depending on how well you carry this out. Remember you get paid by the hour. The grievances will take hold and the company cant say your being an ASS ! ( Which you are by the way )

Get your Undies out of a wad and start taking control of the leverage that the company is using against you !!! Be patient, it will work. Good Luck

Nimnim

The Nim

Oh, stop.

Exercising seniority is not a big deal. I did not suggest he grab the DIAD or do anything remotely hostile and you and grgrcc88 are reading too much into the word take.

We have a white board in the office with all the cover areas and cover driver's names next to them. If they don't like the route they're doing and the other driver is already punched in they ask him for the DIAD and tell him they're bumping him. Supes are told by either driver, usually the driver who has been bumped. Area knowledge does come into play sometimes but more often than not the on car will be riding that day or convince the junior driver they can do the route blind.

Sorry, but it does seem like you did say to take the diad from the other driver.

Last edited:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Oh, stop.

As with all things, the OP needs to be careful taking advise from this forum. Consult your local supplement and your local Union Steward and manager for the correct policy and procedure in your area.

undies

So I decided to just file article 37 on the supervisor for yelling at me and calling me a liar. I decided that I was wrong in sending the message but it does not excuse how he treated me, he yells at other drivers and I don't like it.

barnyard

KTM rider

Agreed.

I am #2 in seniority for covering. I pick what I want to do. Period. They used to pull the lack of knowledge thing and I would always reply, "You have never had a problem sending me out blind, if whoever needs to learn a route, send them out blind."

One day, boss said, "We do not send guys out blind anymore." I looked him right in the eye and said, "Then I guess you better brown up, because I am not switching."

You can only be pushed around as much as you allow them to.

Dracula

Agreed.

I am #2 in seniority for covering. I pick what I want to do. Period. They used to pull the lack of knowledge thing and I would always reply, "You have never had a problem sending me out blind, if whoever needs to learn a route, send them out blind."

One day, boss said, "We do not send guys out blind anymore." I looked him right in the eye and said, "Then I guess you better brown up, because I am not switching."

You can only be pushed around as much as you allow them to.

That sounds exactly like it was with me. They told me they didn't do the blind thing either. Too damn bad, was what I told them.