Is Seniority honored in your building ?

Thebrownblob

I am assigned to small sort in my building, however because me and supervisor don't get along and I file grievances on him, every night he pulls me and sends me to the trailor to scan packages and load. I have 22 years more years then anyone else in small sort, but he only pulls me as "retaliation" So I filed a grievance and he told our BA to her face that "seniority doesn't always count" and then refused to talk to her without a labor manager present and walked off.
Do you have preferred job bids in your building for smalls?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
What does that mean, "get the national involved"?
IMG_2153.jpeg

Get ahold of the IBT and let them know your local isn’t enforcing your contract ie start going up the chain of command. I’d start with going above your BA and exhaust your local first, followed by region then finally go with IBT. I’d also bury management with grievances. Nametags, safety; use the entire contract.

Last edited:

DOK

I am assigned to small sort in my building, however because me and supervisor don't get along and I file grievances on him, every night he pulls me and sends me to the trailor to scan packages and load. I have 22 years more years then anyone else in small sort, but he only pulls me as "retaliation" So I filed a grievance and he told our BA to her face that "seniority doesn't always count" and then refused to talk to her without a labor manager present and walked off.
Our building goes somewhat by seniority in the sort, higher seniority people generally dictate where they want to work

Nah
Keep filing for seniority violations and harassment.

Its_a_me

I found out that our PT steward didn't even have the Teamsters app on his phone. He walked into the building on Wed thinking UPS contract was in good shape and was all but a done deal (as he was getting his news from the business pages).

It perfectly explains why he lets PT sups work right in front of him and why PT'ers on the shift are clueless as to what rights they have. I've heard they keep making their "numbers" though. It explains them walking to the parking lot after 2 hours (they've been done before the last driver finished deliveries a few times this month). They keep having PT'ers quit and he just keeps complaining about kids work effort these days. Meanwhile he's making $33+ an hour and not paying union dues.

But mgmt treats him like a VIP and he gets to go home early and is called and asked if he wants the day off all the time.

So no, seniority is not honored in our building. It's a game of favorites and when you call them on it--their standard go to reason is such and such called off (when it was really them calling and asking if he wanted the day off).

...and the driver's steward is worse...he's the biggest runner/gunner in the district. If not for the 40 year vet hogging the best route he'd be out the door at 3:00pm everyday instead of his 3:30pm usual ETA.

Our drivers can't even a schedule posted. They're treated like just-in-time parts and all (okay bottom 1/3rd) get a call in the morning to come in or not. And he lets it go on because...wait for it...he's their golfing buddy.

TheDudeAbides92

For the most part yes but the stupervisors will play games to get the people they know are gonna actually do work to stay longer and get the warm bodies out. I never care cuz I want the extra time but some people get pissed off

HubSnakeWrangler

I work in a hub that has 2 automated small sorts. One has about 15 inductors to put pkgs on to tilt tray. The other has 4-6 employees to space and ensure smalls labels are up/out or at least not facing down so system can sort by itself. Both have bag handlers to put label on nylon bags and return to load belt. When the new automation began a lot of us higher seniority employees complained about doing the "harder work" 😆 Went before BA/Labor manager and both ss systems were deemed Hub general work. Meaning as long as the work related to the ss operation there was no contractual guarantee to abide by seniority in moving employees around. In my experience most supes honor seniority when staffing areas but it's not a grievance the union will fight vigorously for. Like others said, when I get placed in a smalls trailer to either unload empty nylon bags or bricked out smalls trailer I work to best of my ability until they get aggravated and cut me to go home. 😆