Can the Union Force Local 89?

10 point

Louisville was one of the last supplements to be re-voted for a reason; UPS made sure to pick-off the other supplements, one-by-one, and then leave the "trouble" locals (West PA, Philly Air, Louisville) for last. There's a total lack of momentum now, on the union side, since the fight on healthcare was essentially "won" in the NMA. Whenever this finally gets done, it's going to be interesting to see if UPS starts diverting air packages away from Philly/Louisville over the next 5 years.

The vast majority of part-timers (the FT drivers will almost always be more "solid" on a strike for a number of reasons) were willing to walk over the idea of paying $90/week for something they pay $0/week for now.
Now, they just want their raises and back-pay. UPS knows this and has probably heard it (from PT supervisors and up) nearly as much as the stewards/locals have heard it.

Personally, I don't think we should have ever "pumped the brakes" after UPS backed down and agreed to pool the company plan participants into CS H&W. This is something the union has wanted for years and the company has been adamantly against for just as long; it simply took the Affordable Care Act to make it happen. We should have been willing to stare down the barrel of the gun just a little bit longer and not agreed to a 4 year progression along with trying to get 22.3 language that's worth something.
We, in Ohio, tried.
UPS didn't "pick us off". Our fellow union bros and sisters did....after we stared down the union's gun and got locals that voted yes healthcare enhanced. Then, we barely lost the fight at the hands of our own members.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was my question also. My hub (Lenexa, KS) runs a shuttle from Lawrence, which is a 45 min. to an hour drive, depending on traffic. Never heard anyone complain. I live 5 minutes away, maybe the Louisville workers either deal with it or work closer to where they live? No other employer provides transport and then pays you to ride it.

Would you want to have to show up at least an hour before start time just to make sure you catch the shuttle for the 45 minute unpaid ride to your work area?

Stonefish

1) The closest employee parking lots require them to ride a shuttle. They do not have the option of driving closer to the facility.

2) Hubs in metro areas offer discount public transit passes. Public transportation is much more convenient that driving your own car. Those who do choose to drive can park much closer to the facility than those at Worldport.

Should they add more shuttles? Yes they already agreed to that. These transportation issues were/are there when the person takes the job and they are aware of it day one. This is not the first time they've tried to get employees paid from the time they pulled into the lot. Unsuccessfully. My wish list is I get paid from the time I pull out of my garage in the morning until the time I get home at night.

10 point

I have a feeling that any expansion would be on capacity, not parking.

The shuttle has worked well up til now----for some reason it has become a stumbling block in the negotiation process this time. UPS offered a one-time $1K "shuttle bonus"----it was voted down.

It's time for the IBT to take control of this process.
Ever take a ride in one of those sweat boxes in the hot and humid south or freeze in one in the winter?
I've been down there several times running feeders and witnessed it.
It's not like driving your ac'd car up to the door.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Would you want to have to show up at least an hour before start time just to make sure you catch the shuttle for the 45 minute unpaid ride to your work area?

I see shuttles like this for airport employees all the time. They have to park in remote lots and catch the shuttle to their actual work areas, where they punch in. They are not paid for the ride, which isn't a courtesy shuttle, but a necessity. Sounds like something similar here. The Worldport employees,' plight is not without precedent, and unfortunately it does not lean in their favor.

It is nice to see, however, the PT force come together and vote on something that means a lot for them. I hope they do not get discouraged if they are not successful this time around.

10 point

Should they add more shuttles? Yes they already agreed to that. These transportation issues were/are there when the person takes the job and they are aware of it day one. This is not the first time they've tried to get employees paid from the time they pulled into the lot. Unsuccessfully. My wish list is I get paid from the time I pull out of my garage in the morning until the time I get home at night.
Think that's an unbiased response?
Is there anything good about your fellow teamsters in LouKy?
If I remember correctly, this is negotiations and they're negotiating THEIR locals issues and it doesn't matter what we think...IMO.
If they ratified first of all of us some of us would still rag on them.
Just because some don't like Fred doesn't mean that we can't respect the members in L89.
This union's coming apart from the cancer of disrespectful members. Not from RTW.
Others may not like what other locals are holding out for but, at the least, we can sit back and let them have their day in court without discouraging them for wanting more for their local's members. Say what you want to but
It's none of Ohio's business what L89 is holding out for.

PT Car Washer

Would you want to spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours unpaid for a 3 hour job not counting your daily commute for $8.50/hr and no benefits? What's wrong with trying to negotiate a better contract settlement instead of more concessions? I say it is in every Teamsters best interest to support Local 89.

Stonefish

Would you want to spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours unpaid for a 3 hour job not counting your daily commute for $8.50/hr and no benefits? What's wrong with trying to negotiate a better contract settlement instead of more concessions? I say it is in every Teamsters best interest to support Local 89.

No I wouldn't take it in the first place but that's just me.

Stonefish

Think that's an unbiased response?
Is there anything good about your fellow teamsters in LouKy?
If I remember correctly, this is negotiations and they're negotiating THEIR locals issues and it doesn't matter what we think...IMO.
If they ratified first of all of us some of us would still rag on them.
Just because some don't like Fred doesn't mean that we can't respect the members in L89.
This union's coming apart from the cancer of disrespectful members. Not from RTW.
Others may not like what other locals are holding out for but, at the least, we can sit back and let them have their day in court without discouraging them for wanting more for their local's members. Say what you want to but
It's none of Ohio's business what L89 is holding out for.

It's everyone's business we are all involved. If you don't like my opinion I really don't care. It doesn't matter who ratifies first. I agree with you on this point the union is coming apart because of certain individuals or groups that want to rag on the IBT but when it comes back on them they can't handle it and they get all teary. If people actually did the research and knew the facts it might change opinions. I support the members 100%. What I don't support is the politics that people are playing with the members of that local.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
We, in Ohio, tried.
UPS didn't "pick us off". Our fellow union bros and sisters did....after we stared down the union's gun and got locals that voted yes healthcare enhanced. Then, we barely lost the fight at the hands of our own members.
Plus me and my local got an extra 216 votes. I so much enjoyed walking the building at all hours talking to individuals on my own time. While you guys took jabs at me on here I whittled away at you. 777 to 109. 407 the best turn out in Ohio. The best members also.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No I wouldn't take it in the first place but that's just me.
So to hell with them for wanting more, from a company that is at the top of their game, raking it in at a record level, in the most profitable sector of the business?
Shame on those greedy part timers!!!

Irishman Collins

Stonefish, the 89 shuttle situation is a real problem. Why should an employee park their car at the employer's place of business, wait in line for a shuttle, get on the shuttle go through security screening back on the shuttle do their respective work areas and not be paid for the time they are attempting to get to their work areas. Our Union leaders want to say that 89 is T.D.U. or is politically motivated but when have they ever attempted to talk to 89's members? How about never! They don't care that 89 has turned down there supplement twice and is getting ready to turn it down a third time. It's the easy way out to blame politics or the T.D.U. for our leaderships failures. If 89 goes on strike, who do they picket U.P.S. or the I.B.T. This situation is pathetic. My hats off to you 89. Be strong and you will prevail!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Stonefish, the 89 shuttle situation is a real problem. Why should an employee park their car at the employer's place of business, wait in line for a shuttle, get on the shuttle go through security screening back on the shuttle do their respective work areas and not be paid for the time they are attempting to get to their work areas. Our Union leaders want to say that 89 is T.D.U. or is politically motivated but when have they ever attempted to talk to 89's members? How about never! They don't care that 89 has turned down there supplement twice and is getting ready to turn it down a third time. It's the easy way out to blame politics or the T.D.U. for our leaderships failures. If 89 goes on strike, who do they picket U.P.S. or the I.B.T. This situation is pathetic. My hats off to you 89. Be strong and you will prevail!

Sent using BrownCafe App
How long has it been this way? Were these employees hired and then it changed or has this always been this way. Has anyone ever filed a grievance over the issue? What's the turn over rate at the world port? If three thousand jobs go to Memphis in the next 4years what impact will this have Ont he local?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Plus me and my local got an extra 216 votes. I so much enjoyed walking the building at all hours talking to individuals on my own time. While you guys took jabs at me on here I whittled away at you. 777 to 109. 407 the best turn out in Ohio. The best members also.
This is the truth, sort of, and don't forget it.
I know I won't.

What he's omitting is that they had unconditional $upport and unlimited backing from both their local and the IBT.

This was the difference, not his dedication or his members resolve.
Their resolve was driven by perceived personal gain and a pep assembly mentality.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
This is the truth, sort of, and don't forget it.
I know I won't.

What he's omitting is that they had unconditional $upport and unlimited backing from both their local and the IBT.

This was the difference, not his dedication or his members resolve.
Their resolve was driven by perceived personal gain and a pep assembly mentality.
Make no mistake about it. I know this is a good contract. I live in reality. I'm not a sore loser because I play to win always. When I believe I'm right I will out work you eight days a week. There's a reason I have the reputation that I do. I work hard when others give up and my brain never stops plotting. I never play to lose and I won't. Spin it how you want but my hard work beat your ass.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This is a flat out lie. You are a lier and a sore loser.
I thought you would be proud of that part?
Are you telling me your local officials weren't helping you with campaigning for then latest vote?
It was a grass roots movement in Cleveland?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Make no mistake about it. I know this is a good contract. I live in reality. I'm not a sore loser because I play to win always. When I believe I'm right I will out work you eight days a week. There's a reason I have the reputation that I do. I work hard when others give up and my brain never stops plotting. I never play to lose and I won't. Spin it how you want but my hard work beat your ass.
I'm sorry, nice work.
I had no idea.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
My understanding was that Ken Hall got UPS to put money ( millions) to enhancing the shuttles in the 89 supplement negotiations .Can anybody confirm that ?

Sent using BrownCafe App