Can ups change?

PT Crazy

Why should they change. I like my top rate of pay. 7 weeks of vacation. 2 personal holidays, 4 weeks of sick pay. Free health, dental, eye, and life insurance.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
They don’t have much choice really. The culture either changes or they aren’t going to be able to staff their operation.
A Target warehouse near our building is offering $25 to start and a 3k signing bonus with a climate controlled warehouse. Our building is so outdated on hot days like this all shifts get tons of call outs. Our preload was planned at 260 employees today and only had 220 with every 22.4 in the building reporting to preload. We are currently 200 preloaders short of our peak goal with two months to hire, train and retain it doesn’t look good. The pandemic has shifted the consumer buying model, the company had record profits, and doesn’t want to share it. Staffing will be an issue for quite sometime.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A Target warehouse near our building is offering $25 to start and a 3k signing bonus with a climate controlled warehouse. Our building is so outdated on hot days like this all shifts get tons of call outs. Our preload was planned at 260 employees today and only had 220 with every 22.4 in the building reporting to preload. We are currently 200 preloaders short of our peak goal with two months to hire, train and retain it doesn’t look good. The pandemic has shifted the consumer buying model, the company had record profits, and doesn’t want to share it. Staffing will be an issue for quite sometime.
And that staffing issue just snowballs until
They have to waste boatloads of
Money to move the pendulum back.

Better not bigger slogan could not have hit at a worse time.

Short term yes profits look great but long term it’s a self destruct button.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
And that staffing issue just snowballs until
They have to waste boatloads of
Money to move the pendulum back.

Better not bigger slogan could not have hit at a worse time.

Short term yes profits look great but long term it’s a self destruct button.
Penny wise and dollar stupid

MAKAVELI

This thread is hilarious. I swear I don't know of any other workers who have such a poor me attitude than the UPS driver. You make the top wage and benefits in the industry. Get a grip brothers.🤣

Big Rigger

This thread is hilarious. I swear I don't know of any other workers who have such a poor me attitude than the UPS driver. You make the top wage and benefits in the industry. Get a grip brothers.🤣
Where do you work?
It's not just the younger workers, every contract when they asked what we wanted most I always said "more time off", plenty of guys I worked with felt the same way. And yeah the company can change but it might not be the change you envision, last contract everyone told the union they wanted less OT and we got 22.4's.
And they hosed regular package car drivers anyway. The 9.5 grievances went thru the roof while 22.4s were laid off during maxed vacation weeks.
There will be tons more double bumping after Labor Day to help fill in the cracks.
SMH.
Help wanted signs everywhere and ups drivers are being slammed all spring and summer. The company is laying off a bunch of low seniority drivers and crushing the rest in this heat.

Another week of vacation would be a great thing in this environment. Take one from the management. They don't contribute much anyway.

Seymour Packages

UPS has changed. It has steadily become a gig based, cheap, disposable service. What was once the pride of the industry and one man's life work has become a shell of its former self based on numbers. Screw the customer, driver morale, manager/supervisor integrity, etc. Just keep that stock price climbing. I fully expect Carol to slap the Teamsters in the face during negotiations. Hopefully, we can strike on her "Better not bigger" liberal ass and grind this place to a halt. She and her crew in Atlanta need a reminder that hourlies make this place run, not suits that sit in the A/C all day.

Brownslave688

"But there was a problem. These jobs weren’t everyone. They were mostly for white men"

Boy. Only five lines into the article for Vox to show it's usual cancer.
Yeah I thought the article was decent besides it brining up race over and over and the big bad white male.

Whither

Scofflaw
Earlier this summer my center (about 75 drivers) had 2 RPCDs and 1 22.4 quit within the span of 5 weeks. There've been a lot of injuries too, and mgmt tried -- mostly unsuccessfully -- the strongarm approach. They also tried to get high-handed and began issuing discipline over 6 punch attendance, which seems to have been a scare-tactic since we have at least a couple drivers who've been working for months now while having pending terminations. The company refuses to hear the grievances; the drivers keep working as if it never happened. In the wake of my own injury, which thankfully was minor, I filed intimidation and harassment on my DM, center manager, and on-car. Still waiting for that grieve to be heard.

Brownslave688

Earlier this summer my center (about 75 drivers) had 2 RPCDs and 1 22.4 quit within the span of 5 weeks. There've been a lot of injuries too, and mgmt tried -- mostly unsuccessfully -- the strongarm approach. They also tried to get high-handed and began issuing discipline over 6 punch attendance, which seems to have been a scare-tactic since we have at least a couple drivers who've been working for months now while having pending terminations. The company refuses to hear the grievances; the drivers keep working as if it never happened. In the wake of my own injury, which thankfully was minor, I filed intimidation and harassment on my DM, center manager, and on-car. Still waiting for that grieve to be heard.
Injuries/disability and FMLA is one way guys seem to be getting the break they need.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The company refuses to hear the grievances; the drivers keep working as if it never happened. In the wake of my own injury, which thankfully was minor, I filed intimidation and harassment on my DM, center manager, and on-car. Still waiting for that grieve to be heard.

The company can't refuse to hear grievances.