Can UPS Make you work a 6th or 7th day?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I understand how it is being "interpreted".
Just have a hard time with the "because we said so" mentality.

What I was hoping to do is explore the semantics of yet another fairly ambiguous article in the Central Region Supplement, a kin to Article 15 sec 1 and 4, with it's contradicting language regarding being "not required to work a named holiday" in sec 1, only to be told "as otherwise required" later in section 4. (still think that is in reference to Art 40)

How is saying that a holiday reduces a guaranteed workweek by 8 hours, not the same as it counting towards a punch and wouldn't it have been much clearer to say in addition that holiday pay does not count towards a 6th or 7th day worked?
I don't see the two notions as being connected within the contractual language as it is.

Why is it our Union doesn't see the ambiguity of these articles before signing on and why don't they fight when the Company tries to jump through these perceived loopholes?

Sometimes I feel as if I am at a disadvantage being able to read and comprehend "literally" what is written, rather than possess the ability to read between the grey lines.

I know several BA's in the past who loved to joke about a secret decoder ring.

secret+decoder.jpg

....maybe it wasn't a joke?

The Scarry thing! Our government. Has this ring in gold. The corruption is just starting to fold.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Take an Optional -- It is considered a Punch as you do not lose insurance.
Holiday during the week you are off (non vacation) -- it is my understanding you do not lose insurance then either..

They do not constitute a punch. They constitute compensable time. There is a difference.

You keep your insurance for any week that you had compensable time, yet this compensable time does not count toward a 6th or 7th punch.

man the central union doesn't :censored2: around

What is a central union?

Come on @BigUnionGuy, break ranks for once and admit this language needs repair.

UPS wants to repair this language. They want to remove the following from Article 15...and then there will be no ambiguity.

day after Thanksgiving Day

Only time will tell if this language gets "repaired."

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
"It makes complete sense" only when you read it.

When it is applied, it gets as fuzzy as a moldy peach.

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve

Seems pretty cut and dry?

You're leaving out the caveat language that follows.

Like I said, we've discussed this issue "ad nauseam".

It's language that has been in the Central Region since 1973.

UPS wants to repair this language. They want to remove the following from Article 15...and then there will be no ambiguity.

@Mugarolla summed it up nicely.

Be careful, of what you wish for.... You might just get it.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You're leaving out the caveat language that follows.
Like I said, we've discussed this issue "ad nauseam".
It's language that has been in the Central Region since 1973.

Aside from Article 40, an air service only operation, where is it "otherwise provided for in this agreement"???

...and before the recent "Day After Thanksgiving" full day operation, when has this "caveat" been handled this way since "1973"???

@Mugarolla summed it up nicely.
Be careful, of what you wish for.... You might just get it.

-Bug-
The Company doesn't need to "repair" this language now, since the door has already been opened for us to be "required" to work any holiday, with the possible exception of Labor Day.

The door is gaping open...and somehow you don't see a need to close it, or at least define the gap???

Pfft

~Bbbl~

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Aside from Article 40, an air service only operation, where is it "otherwise provided for in this agreement"???

I know I've pointed this out before, but that (preamble ?) to that section was added

in 1976.... which predates the air operation by at least 10 years. So there is some

evidence that it was put in, just for a reason. Labor Day is not off the table....

but would require permission from the Local Union.

The Company doesn't need to "repair" this language now, since the door has already been opened for us to be "required" to work any holiday, with the possible exception of Labor Day.

The door is gaping open...and somehow you don't see a need to close it, or at least define the gap???

The door was not just opened, it's always been unlocked. Now the company has

decided to exercise the option and pay the premium. Must be worth it.

As far as doing anything about it.... What are you willing to give up in exchange ?

-Bug-

What'dyabringmetoday???

...and before the recent "Day After Thanksgiving" full day operation, when has this "caveat" been handled this way since "1973"???

Pfft

~Bbbl~
Well, at least you can have comfort knowing that all of the Business Agents now work the day after Thanksgiving and will be there on Saturdays until January. Lol.

browntroll

in my hub our supervisors told us a 6th day punch is mandatory through out peak. in the past years we had days we come in sunday
night 11:30pm for preload shift just wondering if they do that again this year what day is a 6th day punch and would i be entitled to double time?
last year they had a special shifts on weekends but told us it was extra work but not guaranteed since they didnt want ppl to 6 day punch.

a911scanner

I am a driver in my 3rd year of progression. Right on the bubble for forced T-Sat work. I chose to continue working a T-Sat schedule. Less hassle of being "forced" on some busy Saturdays & day of to go to doc, DMV, etc.

Week of Labor Day, got paid for Labor Day like everyone. Worked T-Sat. Asked Union BA if I would get 6th punch pay for Saturday. He said no, because your normally scheduled week is T-Sat. I was ticked.

Paycheck came. I got paid 6th punch for Saturday after working only 5 days that week plus the Holiday for Labor Day.

Learned two things that day. 1) A paid holiday counts as a punch. 2) The BA doesn't always know everything about the contract either. Central region.