Can you be harassed with facial expressions

steffieup

There is a manager in my building that gives me and other ladies looks that make us uncomfortable. He has never said anything to me directly but the look and tone in his voice is very un-nerving. What should I do?

dammor

There is a manager in my building that gives me and other ladies looks that make us uncomfortable. He has never said anything to me directly but the look and tone in his voice is very un-nerving. What should I do?

Grow up and ignore him. You will not win a case because he gave you a look.
And if a look freaks you out you will have a hard life indeed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I cant be harrassed by a facial expression.
Toughen up if your going to be at UPS, looks are the least of the things you can have happen. Some people just look funny all the time.

ikoi62

This is a joke right....he's looking at me make him stop..
the last time i heard that line was when my kids were about 5 years old.
grow up already.

What kind of "look" is it? Is he un-nerving you with a "if you don't do some actual work today I'm going to choke the life out of the HR person that hired you" kind of "look"? Or is it a "I have a photographic memory and the Kama Sutra is the last thing I read before I came to work." kind of "look"?

If it's a sexual kind of "look", all she has to do is tell him this "look" makes her uncomfortable. If he continues, then she has something to work with. (Provided she isn't coming to work in a skin tight halter top, belly showing, short shorts that are practically painted on, a great little... oh wait, I digress. Sorry.)

If you don't think she could file a sexual harrassment charge for getting "looks" then I bet you all had a good laugh when that lady said she was going to sue McDonalds because SHE spilled coffee on HERSELF and was stunned to discover it was HOT.

Our legal system is retarded. Nobody has to take responsibility for themselves or their own actions any more, they just blame the guy with the deepest pockets and try to cash in. (Not that Steffie has done this, it's just my general beef with our legal system.) :cursing:

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If you don't think she could file a sexual harrassment charge for getting "looks" then I bet you all had a good laugh when that lady said she was going to sue McDonalds because SHE spilled coffee on HERSELF and was stunned to discover it was HOT

You got me there, I forgot how stupid people can be, and how people are constantly suing and winning because they are too stupid to protect themselves. (not directed at you Steffie, directed at coffee lady)

Sexual harrassment is a thin line between, friendly and evil, and so much has to do with perception, and personality.

Dutch Dawg

After participating in government mandated Sexual Harassment training Inappropriate "looks" are considered harrassing.

I'm sure there are many government pamphlets, public service messages and approved courses out there that are all too willing to reshape our minds. The real question is how does a reasonable person view the topic and do our minds really need reshaping?

SmithBarney

I should clarify, harrassment doesn't need to be sexual in nature.

If his/her looks are making a person uncomfortable are
considered harrassment.

If she mentions she feels they are sexual in nature, believe me
management will act.(they are required to by LAW)

athena

A couple of tips from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitutes sexual harassment when submission to or rejection of this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment.
Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following:
  • The victim as well as the harasser may be a woman or a man. The victim does not have to be of the opposite sex.
  • The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or a non-employee.
  • The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.
  • Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim.
  • The harasser's conduct must be unwelcome.
It is helpful for the victim to directly inform the harasser that the conduct is unwelcome and must stop. The victim should use any employer complaint mechanism or grievance system available.
When investigating allegations of sexual harassment, EEOC looks at the whole record: the circumstances, such as the nature of the sexual advances, and the context in which the alleged incidents occurred. A determination on the allegations is made from the facts on a case-by-case basis.
Prevention is the best tool to eliminate sexual harassment in the workplace. Employers are encouraged to take steps necessary to prevent sexual harassment from occurring. They should clearly communicate to employees that sexual harassment will not be tolerated. They can do so by establishing an effective complaint or grievance process and taking immediate and appropriate action when an employee complains.

rod

Retired 22 years
If a manager looking at you in a menacing way is concidered harassment then I believe we have the makings of another "California type" class action lawsuit. Damm- all those years wasted when I could of filed a harassment suit. That's their job Steffiepoo- to make you feel uncomfortable. I think I personally caught my female manager looking at my butt when I bent over to pickup a package. I feel like such a piece of meat. Where do I sigh up for this lawsuit? Oh, I almost forgot- she actually had the nerve to ask me to dance with her at a safe driving party. I feel so dirty. What's the # of that layer again?

Last edited: