Can you "lose" your cover driver seniority?

ChrisTheBrown

I have a question..I may have a chance to go full time (with my security job) this August..I'll still be able to work my preload sort without any issues..What I'm wondering is, after having gone through driving school, making book for cover driver & all that..Could I basically just give up the whole cover driver gig until I build up a few more years seniority? The whole thing just isn't really worth driving only maybe a couple of months during the year, between summer & peak..I understand the whole seniority thing..I'd like to get married within the next year or so, & gotta do what's best for me..I'm guessing that it wouldn't go over too well with management. What would happen? Would I have to go through driver school/ qualify all over again down the road? Might I be forfeiting the opportunity to drive for UPS altogether? What would you do?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I have a question..I may have a chance to go full time (with my security job) this August..I'll still be able to work my preload sort without any issues..What I'm wondering is, after having gone through driving school, making book for cover driver & all that..Could I basically just give up the whole cover driver gig until I build up a few more years seniority? The whole thing just isn't really worth driving only maybe a couple of months during the year, between summer & peak..I understand the whole seniority thing..I'd like to get married within the next year or so, & gotta do what's best for me..I'm guessing that it wouldn't go over too well with management. What would happen? Would I have to go through driver school/ qualify all over again down the road? Might I be forfeiting the opportunity to drive for UPS altogether? What would you do?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Think you have a better chance of making money ,staying here. Jmho.
Good luck on whatever you choose.

ChrisTheBrown

Think you have a better chance of making money ,staying here. Jmho.
Good luck on whatever you choose.
Yes, but that's probably a few years down the road, easily..I won't smell a package car for a while, I'm sure. I'd just like to make some extra money, in the meantime is all. It's kinda a tough spot for me to be in..I have plenty of time now to think things through, just want to make sure that I make the best decision. I appreciate any & all advice.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes, but that's probably a few years down the road, easily..I won't smell a package car for a while, I'm sure. I'd just like to make some extra money, in the meantime is all. It's kinda a tough spot for me to be in..I have plenty of time now to think things through, just want to make sure that I make the best decision. I appreciate any & all advice.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I almost quit twice in my career. Years a
Later,glad I didn't.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If he's just a TCD at this point, stepping down from that can't hurt him from going full time driving when his name gets called on the list. The only way it could hurt is if it really upsets a center manager, then if the OP doesn't do well qualifying and it's a discretion call...but if that's the case then the center manager would already have formed the opinion that he's a crappy driver and wouldn't care if he stopped being a TCD to begin with.

ChrisTheBrown

If he's just a TCD at this point, stepping down from that can't hurt him from going full time driving when his name gets called on the list. The only way it could hurt is if it really upsets a center manager, then if the OP doesn't do well qualifying and it's a discretion call...but if that's the case then the center manager would already have formed the opinion that he's a crappy driver and wouldn't care if he stopped being a TCD to begin with.
I've already qualified..Seniority attainment date was 7/4/14, for driving. My center manager also spoke very highly of me during a conference call that I had to join in on, following my qualification..It is what it is. I know they won't really care about my situation, & what I wanna do. I guess I'll just see how much I drive in the next 6 months, may help me make this decision. I'm guessing around the beginning of summer, before I touch a diad again.

Sent using BrownCafe App

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have a guy in your same situation. Instead of driving on and off he decided to just wait until the full time bid opens up.

ChrisTheBrown

We have a guy in your same situation. Instead of driving on and off he decided to just wait until the full time bid opens up.
Ok, so did he initially do the whole cover driver thing...As in just drive when they wanted to use him, in the beginning?

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've already qualified..Seniority attainment date was 7/4/14, for driving.
I'm confused. Are you a TCD or a full time driver? If you're not a full time driver then you'd have to do your 30 days again once you got the call to go full time.

If you're a seniority full time driver then why are you working preload? Layoff? I don't understand what you're posting.

Browntown2014

I'm confused. Are you a TCD or a full time driver? If you're not a full time driver then you'd have to do your 30 days again once you got the call to go full time.

If you're a seniority full time driver then why are you working preload? Layoff? I don't understand what you're posting.

Are you sure? In the Atlantic I think once you qualify you don't ever have to qualify again.

ChrisTheBrown

TCD..Not full time..Preload PT seniority date is 8/14/13, driving seniority date is 7/3/14. I know of a guy in my center that recently went FT, after 12 years of PT service..He was working preload prior to going FT, along with doing Saturday air..I just wanna make sure that I wouldn't have to go through all the driver school training crap again..

Sent using BrownCafe App

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Ok, so did he initially do the whole cover driver thing...As in just drive when they wanted to use him, in the beginning?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes. He drove for the summer and when they offered him peak driving he said no, I'll wait. Skipped summer and peak this last year.

wayfair

swollen member
I know a guy that never signed the full time driver bid sheet until last year... he's been driving nearly 10 years at cover driver rate... smh

9.5er

You will not drive again until after June 1st unless they use you as an air driver. Once Temp. season comes nearer they should post a list for anyone wanting to be a seasonal driver to sign. If you want to take the full time Security job simply do not sign it. center manager should not have a major problem with it. One of our temp drivers got a full time job the week after Christmas. As far as I know it was no big deal as he only missed out on a couple weeks of driving.

Once you make it through your 30 days you will only need to drive one day to qualify once you go full time.

ChrisTheBrown

You will not drive again until after June 1st unless they use you as an air driver. Once Temp. season comes nearer they should post a list for anyone wanting to be a seasonal driver to sign. If you want to take the full time Security job simply do not sign it. center manager should not have a major problem with it. One of our temp drivers got a full time job the week after Christmas. As far as I know it was no big deal as he only missed out on a couple weeks of driving.

Once you make it through your 30 days you will only need to drive one day to qualify once you go full time.
I'm not a "temp" though...I'm in the union, I'm a preloader/ casual pkg car driver..I made book for driving last summer. I'm not one of those off the street rats. I'll just see if I can wait until I have enough seniority for a FT bid, which I know is years down the road. Just curious how they'll react when I tell them that I don't want to drive anymore, for the time being.

Sent using BrownCafe App

9.5er

The term 'Temp driver' I'm using is for part time union employees that drive during the seasonal period. Different regions call them different names.

PT Car Washer

You want to work your security job FT and work the preload PT, right. You want to disqualify yourself from temp driving and then go back after a few years when you have gained more seniority. The boss may be mad after spending the time and effort to train you but really not much he can do about it. I am betting they won't let you drive on Saturday either and you will have to go through school again.