Can you "lose" your cover driver seniority?

ChrisTheBrown

You want to work your security job FT and work the preload PT, right. You want to disqualify yourself from temp driving and then go back after a few years when you have gained more seniority. The boss may be mad after spending the time and effort to train you but really not much he can do about it. I am betting they won't let you drive on Saturday either and you will have to go through school again.
Saturday driving probably wouldn't work for me anyways, & I'm not interested in doing that..I can understand if they'd be upset, after putting me through all of the training & what not..But I still want to make it my long term career, not closing the door on it forever, ya know? I just don't think it's fair that I should have to put dreams & goals of mine on hold, just so they can dangle me like a little puppet when they see fit. I just feel that I'm selling myself short right now.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Saturday driving probably wouldn't work for me anyways, & I'm not interested in doing that..I can understand if they'd be upset, after putting me through all of the training & what not..But I still want to make it my long term career, not closing the door on it forever, ya know? I just don't think it's fair that I should have to put dreams & goals of mine on hold, just so they can dangle me like a little puppet when they see fit. I just feel that I'm selling myself short right now.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Consider yourself lucky that see this now instead of a couple years later. The job can be very profitable after you pay your dues but that can take a while.

PhatAzz

Check with your Business Agent. Different supplements use different rules. Where I'm at, once you qualify as a TCD, you are always qualified. TCD's use their Part time Seniority date as the seniority date on the TCD list. Example - If you drive for a year and then a Senior Part timer qualifies as a TCD, they will move ahead of you on the TCD seniority list. You can remove your name from the TCD list at any time. I think it's for a minimum of one year. If you choose to start driving again you have to wait until a bid is posted for a TCD position. Then you go back on the list and fall back on the seniority list where your part time seniority date takes you. You shouldn't have to RE Qualify to get on the TCD list again. AND you shouldn't have to RE Qualify if you were to sign a Full Time driver Bid either. All the TCd's that have gone full time in my center are just changed in the HR system.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Are you sure? In the Atlantic I think once you qualify you don't ever have to qualify again.
Not sure about how things are where he is, but yeah, here our TCDs once they get the call to go full time have to qualify, however their seniority date is somewhat retroactive. My buddy took a TCD slot that I turned down 6 months before I went full time driving. We both got the call to go full time driving at the same time. His FT seniority date is a couple months before mine as a result, but he still had to make book once he got the call.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ahhhhh TCD. The first thing everyone should ask be eliminated from their local contracts if you have them.

Demand full time cover drivers only. It's works just fine in tons of other locals.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Ahhhhh TCD. The first thing everyone should ask be eliminated from their local contracts if you have them.

Demand full time cover drivers only. It's works just fine in tons of other locals.
We have both which is good because no part timers are willing to sign up to be a TCD.

Bottom rung

If you don't drive for a few years your center manager will likely send you to the driving class again. When you win a full time bid.

reginald95

You lose your progression and driving seniority if you quit. When you get called for FT Driving you will have to start from scratch. If you stick with it, you will likely start at top rate if you have already put in 4 years of TCD.

YellowSox

I'm not a "temp" though...I'm in the union, I'm a preloader/ casual pkg car driver..I made book for driving last summer. I'm not one of those off the street rats. I'll just see if I can wait until I have enough seniority for a FT bid, which I know is years down the road. Just curious how they'll react when I tell them that I don't want to drive anymore, for the time being.

Sent using BrownCafe App
You ARE a temp driver. But you have part time seniority in the hub. Do as you please part time wise and turn down the seasonal driving if you need to. Seniority prevails over permanent driving bids. Don't sweat it

reyUpser

Hello, Im a FT driver out of the Dallas HUB, I have a question regarding bids..............To start off, This would be my second year as a FT driver, two weeks ago I won a building wide bid for a route because the previous driver had gotten discharged....everything is going good, except two weeks into taking the route.....HR calls me for a combo job.....I then againg said yes..., then the day after HR disquilifies me for had taking the route a couple of weeks earlier, stating that I had to stay six months on the same route. Except all routes go up for bid in the center in March, does that make me elegible for the combos again?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hello, Im a FT driver out of the Dallas HUB, I have a question regarding bids..............To start off, This would be my second year as a FT driver, two weeks ago I won a building wide bid for a route because the previous driver had gotten discharged....everything is going good, except two weeks into taking the route.....HR calls me for a combo job.....I then againg said yes..., then the day after HR disquilifies me for had taking the route a couple of weeks earlier, stating that I had to stay six months on the same route. Except all routes go up for bid in the center in March, does that make me elegible for the combos again?

If the combo job is on the bid sheet in March and has not been taken when it is your turn to bid you most certainly can sign your name and bid for the job.