Can you still remember the days?

Shiftless

I have good relationships with a few of my local drivers and they take the time to talk to the old retired guy on their route. Closing in on 14 years of bliss I might add!

When these driver's talk, they talk in such unfamiliar terms, sometimes I have to ask what is that? I do see stuff here on BC. The complaining. The commit times, Orion, and on and on with the other 2 and three letter acronyms of work types and descriptions.

Seems very similar yet so different. I spent the majority of my career in Feeder. I only saw two Christmas events as a pkg driver. I knew that wasn't for me and I wanted to get away from that ASAP!

What we had back in the day in PKG: Really old and beat on pkg car's, pad of paper with carbon paper and slide clip to keep the paper down, a clip board, a couple pens and a print out of pickups and TOLD "your good go deliver driver!"

Commit times? What commit times? Generally only thing you had to commit to times was starting your pickups by 2:30.

We did have a 3 letter reference point "NDA" meant "No Delivery Attempt". All 2 day air was moved by the airlines not UPS except when they would charter flights at XMAS.

If they wanted you bad enough they had to drive to look for you or call your pick ups and hope they would relay the message. Next we had to call in before we left out area, we grumbled so much they said we could get our dime back when we turned in our COD's. YUP 10 cent pay Phones.

So what do you remember back when it was so hard on us as driver's?

Chaos

I Am The Devil
I got a mailman retired of 30 years that I’ve been delivering to for 5 years and I see him 4-5 times a week. He tells me he is a retired mailman every time like he has never seen me before.

To the op...you delivered in a technologically unadvanced time period when you could scratch your balls without 30 fing cameras catching you in the act. But the job is the same, go to the right address and stick the box at the door, safely.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I got a mailman retired of 30 years that I’ve been delivering to for 5 years and I see him 4-5 times a week. He tells me he is a retired mailman every time like he has never seen me before.

To the op...you delivered in a technologically unadvanced time period when you could scratch your balls without 30 fing cameras catching you in the act. But the job is the same, go to the right address and stick the box at the door, safely.
It is somewhat humorous how this company has transformed the simple task of taking a box out of the back of a truck and placing it on someone's porch. Lol.