Car and Bike Talk

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Just saw on the news some squid launching himself from his bike over the guard rail, into a tree and down a cliff. Squid riding beyond his abilities.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
123_1.jpg
Fellow mechanic's SS being tuned after installing a new SC compatible cam. 470 at the wheels.

rod

Retired 22 years
Check this out. Interesting....

This don't surprise me at all. I have a brother-in-law who used to own a quick-lube place. As far as I know you got the correct oil at his place but you probably got stuck with a $100 serpentine belt replacement or a 10 dollar tail light bulb that cost him 22 cents. Very few got away with just an oil change. He sold the business because said he couldn't hack ripping people off for a living.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This don't surprise me at all. I have a brother-in-law who used to own a quick-lube place. As far as I know you got the correct oil at his place but you probably got stuck with a $100 serpentine belt replacement or a 10 dollar tail light bulb that cost him 22 cents. Very few got away with just an oil change. He sold the business because said he couldn't hack ripping people off for a living.

That, and the places that just pretended to change your oil.

I used to do my own, now I just go back to the dealer. I'm lucky enough to have trustworthy dealers for my wife's car and my truck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With our work hours it is very hard to go to the dealer unless I am on vacation or take a day off. That being said, while I do like their convenience, I do not like their "hard sell" tactics, especially on people like me who don't know a whole lot about cars.

That, and the places that just pretended to change your oil.

I used to do my own, now I just go back to the dealer. I'm lucky enough to have trustworthy dealers for my wife's car and my truck.

I have heard of people marking their oil filters with a grease pencil before going for the oil change to make sure that their filter was changed.

I don't know how you could mark the oil pan to make sure that they changed the oil.

oldngray

nowhere special
One time I went to one of the quick oil change places and they didn't replace the drain plug gasket. It got a nick on it and leaked so I had to go back and they had to replace it and change the oil again (for free). Of course if I hadn't noticed the leak I would have been screwed. I don't trust those places and don't go to them any more.

rod

Retired 22 years
How often does everyone change their oil? I used to do it religiously at 3,000 miles. Now its more like every 5,000. My new truck even says every 5,000. I used to do it all myself but now I let the dealer do it. On "senior day" (Wednesdays)with the discount its not much more than if I did it myself----------and you get a free car wash and pop corn and get to friend with the salesmen thinking you are there to buy a new car.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
If you have someplace to do it yourself its probably quicker than going to one of the oil change places. I probably don't save any money but use good synthetic oil for the same price as quick change crap.
WalMart have the best prices I've seen for MC specific synthetic.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have heard of people marking their oil filters with a grease pencil before going for the oil change to make sure that their filter was changed.

I don't know how you could mark the oil pan to make sure that they changed the oil.

Clean the drain plug and the area around it well, and put a dab or two of nail polish on it.

I have never paid somebody else to do this sort of thing and I don't plan to change my ways

No way would I try to change the oil in my wife's Forester. Too damned hard to get to the drain plug without a lift. But, the filter is right on top and in the open.

My truck, I would change, but there isn't really anyplace around here any more to get rid of the used oil. Besides, I work for the auto group that owns the Toyota store where I bought it and I get a killer discount.