Car and Bike Talk

rod

Retired 22 years
1611190839542.png

quad decade guy

My buddy, retired Nov 2019 with 30 years, is a world class dumpster diver, scrounger, and all around cheap skate. He was complaining about doing a tune up on his Hemi Ram. He said he could get the OEM plugs for a couple bucks each, the next better grade for 5-6 each, and the best ones for 8 or so. I said just get the good ones you cheap SOB. He started whining he couldn't afford that much money, plus all new coils. I didn't even know that the Hemi's had gone to two plugs per cylinder. Technology is great, but, the the engineers and lawyers think we are babbling idiots. If you think cars are bad, try guns. I have every American Rifleman magazine from 1948 to date. The post WWII issues would show you how to notch a bolt and reweld it to move it down so you could mount a scope. Saw one article how to cut the bolt off, mill out the left side of the receiver, and weld it back on, to make it left handed. They acted like every one had a Bridgeport mill in the garage. Now, your lucky if they tell you how to put a damp cloth on a dent in the stock and use an iron to pull the dent out. Then the liability disclaimer is as long as the article was.
Well, if he is so broke....why did he retire? We make such good money, I sure don't "scrounge" much. Maybe he should sell his truck because he can't afford it. Our old '65 Ford Fleetside had a straight 6 and 6 plugs. Couldn't get more basic than that and cheap.
BTW, what was wrong with OEM plugs? That truck was engineered with those plugs. Engineered. What is "better"? Were those coils malfunctioning? Were they tested? Is he familiar with IRAN(inspect replace as needed?

I'm all for fixing and building your own stuff. I bought an airplane. I went to A&P school so I could fix it myself. Now, I do all repairs I am certified to do.

I didn't read the article(s) you mentioned....however I do take Popular Mechanics(still). A month or two ago the cover article was how to build your own wooden speedboat from scratch! The author even used wood planks cut from his own forest! Really? Noting he let the lumber dry for two years....So, I understand the lathe comment. But there are enough folks around with Harbor Freight Dremel tools that would try just about anything. Usually because they are babbling idiots or dead broke like your friend. I inherited my Dad's guns. They were in pretty poor condition(long story). There were about half a dozen or so. I saved and had each one restored 100%. One at a time. I'm no gunsmith, so I left it to the pro's. On the other hand, I build all my AR15's. Doing so, allows me to for every couple I build, to basically have another for free(3 to 1).

My thought on the right/left bolt conversion? A good gunsmith will have that Bridgeport lathe and lot's more tools. Why not keep the gun as designed and buy a lefthand model? Guns are relatively cheap....well were....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well, if he is so broke....why did he retire? We make such good money, I sure don't "scrounge" much. Maybe he should sell his truck because he can't afford it. Our old '65 Ford Fleetside had a straight 6 and 6 plugs. Couldn't get more basic than that and cheap.
BTW, what was wrong with OEM plugs? That truck was engineered with those plugs. Engineered. What is "better"? Were those coils malfunctioning? Were they tested? Is he familiar with IRAN(inspect replace as needed?

I'm all for fixing and building your own stuff. I bought an airplane. I went to A&P school so I could fix it myself. Now, I do all repairs I am certified to do.

I didn't read the article(s) you mentioned....however I do take Popular Mechanics(still). A month or two ago the cover article was how to build your own wooden speedboat from scratch! The author even used wood planks cut from his own forest! Really? Noting he let the lumber dry for two years....So, I understand the lathe comment. But there are enough folks around with Harbor Freight Dremel tools that would try just about anything. Usually because they are babbling idiots or dead broke like your friend. I inherited my Dad's guns. They were in pretty poor condition(long story). There were about half a dozen or so. I saved and had each one restored 100%. One at a time. I'm no gunsmith, so I left it to the pro's. On the other hand, I build all my AR15's. Doing so, allows me to for every couple I build, to basically have another for free(3 to 1).

My thought on the right/left bolt conversion? A good gunsmith will have that Bridgeport lathe and lot's more tools. Why not keep the gun as designed and buy a lefthand model? Guns are relatively cheap....well were....

92C55D3F-A961-4E2B-B64C-6C23A125146E.jpeg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What is interesting(0% of anything you have to say is) is how much commentary you skip over to be petty and small. With absolutely nothing to add but hate and jealousy.

Do you feel what I’am saying
You go into a giant diatribe about nothing
You could have been a character on “Seinfeld”
You know what they say If the shoe fits wear it