Car and Bike Talk

rod

Retired 22 years
Check the high-pressure electricity pump.
I do have a problem that is bugging me to no end. I have a 1988 Yamaha 50cc scooter that has about 1,800 miles on it that for some reason will idle just fine and mid-range runs good but at full throttle (under load or not) it falls on its face to the point it dies. If you let up on it it starts running again. So far I have replaced the fuel cock (the filter in it was really dirty) that didn't help. Cleaned the carb-that didn't help. Put a brand new carb on it-that didn't help and just the other day I put a new set of reed valves in it -that didn't help. I'm at a loss as to what to do next other than to scrap it and sell parts off it. Its been a great scooter and has hauled my fat ass -a case of beer and a 20 pound bag of ice at 30 mph many times at the races. Any suggestions?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I do have a problem that is bugging me to no end. I have a 1988 Yamaha 50cc scooter that has about 1,800 miles on it that for some reason will idle just fine and mid-range runs good but at full throttle (under load or not) it falls on its face to the point it dies. If you let up on it it starts running again. So far I have replaced the fuel cock (the filter in it was really dirty) that didn't help. Cleaned the carb-that didn't help. Put a brand new carb on it-that didn't help and just the other day I put a new set of reed valves in it -that didn't help. I'm at a loss as to what to do next other than to scrap it and sell parts off it. Its been a great scooter and has hauled my fat ass -a case of beer and a 20 pound bag of ice at 30 mph many times at the races. Any suggestions?

I had a high school buddy with a 65cc Honda that would do the same thing. If I remember correctly, the carb needed adjusted. The high-speed jet, I believe.

Wait, I just saw reed valves. 2-stroke? Can’t help you there.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a high school buddy with a 65cc Honda that would do the same thing. If I remember correctly, the carb needed adjusted. The high-speed jet, I believe.

Wait, I just saw reed valves. 2-stroke? Can’t help you there.
I think my next step is to see if it needs new rings. Thankfully the parts for that thing are fairly cheap. (Its the shipping that kills you). The reed valves were like 7 bucks and came in a little envelope that a 50 cent stamp could have been enough to cover it but oh no--10 dollars shipping and handling.

Shiftless

I think my next step is to see if it needs new rings. Thankfully the parts for that thing are fairly cheap. (Its the shipping that kills you). The reed valves were like 7 bucks and came in a little envelope that a 50 cent stamp could have been enough to cover it but oh no--10 dollars shipping and handling.
What does the plug look like?

Me? First thing I would check if the main jet isn't clogged up and the needle is in the right position. I would check fuel flow.
You may have debris or restriction in your fuel delivery that is causing the problem.

If not?

Your asking a lot out of that little motor. Top end maybe? Crank seals? I guess I am assuming its a ringadingee motor??

rod

Retired 22 years
What does the plug look like?

Me? First thing I would check if the main jet isn't clogged up and the needle is in the right position. I would check fuel flow.
You may have debris or restriction in your fuel delivery that is causing the problem.

If not?

Your asking a lot out of that little motor. Top end maybe? Crank seals? I guess I am assuming its a ringadingee motor??
new plug
needle is in the same position on on the new carb as it was on the old one.
I've checked for a kinked fuel line
new fuel cock with new filter

Is it possible the rings are bad?

Shiftless

new plug
needle is in the same position on on the new carb as it was on the old one.
I've checked for a kinked fuel line
new fuel cock with new filter

Is it possible the rings are bad?
So do I have this right, at mid range up it goes into a "BOG" mode till the motor stumbles but it recovers when you throttle out?

Do you have the old plug? If so what does it look like? Plugs speak volumes.

I know its a new carb but float height can cause this effect also. Could your old one have been and this one sticking or improperly set height?

A compression check is pretty simple check with out costing money.

If all that seems good then maybe your ignition or CDI system needs a check?

If you were in California I would also be asking how old the gas is! Stuff just SUKS out here. I have gone to all electric mower and weeder equipment the stuff just kills carbureted engines and goes bad SO FAST!

rod

Retired 22 years
The old plug looked dark but wasn't that bad of condition. It was dry when removed. The old one wasn't that old before it was replaced with a new one when this problem started. Being it is a 1988 I burn nothing but real gas in it--no ethanol and the gas is fresh. The last time I had it in for a tune up at the local Yamaha dealer it cost about $125 and I shutter to think what those bandits would charge if they actually had to get into it. Maybe its time to part it out. Thanks for all your help guys.

Shiftless

Just keep tinkering with it. U got nothin to lose!

If it has been a gradual over time issue happening? Probably a bore and or new crank seals.

If it came on suddenly?

Sometimes its "OH shift, how did I miss that" like a piece of something got in the tank and is floating around in the fuel tank and once flow of fuel gets going it rides over the petcock? You know that Stuff u generally don't expect!

Good Luck!

rod

Retired 22 years
Just keep tinkering with it. U got nothin to lose!

If it has been a gradual over time issue happening? Probably a bore and or new crank seals.

If it came on suddenly?

Sometimes its "OH shift, how did I miss that" like a piece of something got in the tank and is floating around in the fuel tank and once flow of fuel gets going it rides over the petcock? You know that Stuff u generally don't expect!

Good Luck!
I'll continue to fix on it until it is broke beyond repair. I'm good at that.

rod

Retired 22 years
1614715177151.png