Car and Bike Talk

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Here's a throwback for you fellows.
20210625_200956.jpg

quad decade guy

Anyone into ironhead sportsters? I just picked up a 1977 1000. Complete project with lot's of rust and corrosion/oxidation.

Was told engine sound.......good shape......last running when parked....to paint. Looks like it sat under a tree for 20 years to me.

But....I only have $500 in it....traded a mini bike for it. Drum rear brake and a single disc up front. I looked at my local Craigslist for parts and found a guy just literally around the corner who has probably a half dozen parts bikes. I bought a nice set of no rust forks from him the same day I brought it home. You should see this guys place.....grass up to your waist....junk cars everywhere....Harleys just sitting out in the open......uncovered....for years...several out buildings(full of stuff) that looked like everything stopped about 20 years ago. I'd say he has $50k worth of Harley's laying around in open barns and fields.

Everything on my bike will have to be cleaned at least, polished, painted etc. Came with a cooler and buckets full of parts etc. At least I have a used cooler.....they always pick old coolers to hold parts.

Whenever I go to look at an old bike......I'll pick the most run down house on the block and that's usually where the address is....I went to two homes yesterday 50 miles apart......same type of neighborhoods......right down to the junk everywhere.

These bikes are as crude as an old tractor. Simple, air cooled motors and by todays standards.......cast iron era. Yet, they have Japanese suspension.....weird.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Anyone into ironhead sportsters? I just picked up a 1977 1000. Complete project with lot's of rust and corrosion/oxidation.

Was told engine sound.......good shape......last running when parked....to paint. Looks like it sat under a tree for 20 years to me.

But....I only have $500 in it....traded a mini bike for it. Drum rear brake and a single disc up front. I looked at my local Craigslist for parts and found a guy just literally around the corner who has probably a half dozen parts bikes. I bought a nice set of no rust forks from him the same day I brought it home. You should see this guys place.....grass up to your waist....junk cars everywhere....Harleys just sitting out in the open......uncovered....for years...several out buildings(full of stuff) that looked like everything stopped about 20 years ago. I'd say he has $50k worth of Harley's laying around in open barns and fields.

Everything on my bike will have to be cleaned at least, polished, painted etc. Came with a cooler and buckets full of parts etc. At least I have a used cooler.....they always pick old coolers to hold parts.

Whenever I go to look at an old bike......I'll pick the most run down house on the block and that's usually where the address is....I went to two homes yesterday 50 miles apart......same type of neighborhoods......right down to the junk everywhere.

These bikes are as crude as an old tractor. Simple, air cooled motors and by todays standards.......cast iron era. Yet, they have Japanese suspension.....weird.

Karma...

I haven't had an automatic since 1974 to 1977...and thats the only one.....I took my drivers test in my moms ford falcon with 260ci v8.......too bad it wasn't the 271hp 289......those were some days..........I did have a 289 mustang convertible that my brother totaled when I was in the service...he then immediately joined up as well....

Last edited:

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I have met a 75 yo gentleman that wants to try to break the record with his 350 Aermacchi(whatever category that is). He's convinced he can do it. Not this year but some day.
Yamaha’s rule at that level in FIM.
AHRMA has some vintage classes, but they’re not recognized like FIM and FIA.
Speeds are around 160 for an RD350or R3 though.