career path: management or driving?

brown_trousers

I guess I'm just wondering if the job is as bad as it sounds from reading here at brown cafe. I'm seeing a whole lot of negative posts about the job, but almost no positive ones.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It still seems like from reading these forums that drivers are getting abused day after day. Im truly impressed how you guys do your jobs everyday. It sounds like you all get fired about once a week. And then the union gets you your job back and the cycle repeats. Just take a look at the "union issues" forum.

Take everything that you read here with a huge grain of salt. Yes, there is a production push and micromanagement is at an all-time high, but if you do the job the way that you were trained and give a solid effort day in and day out you will be just fine. And, no, I have never been fired.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
drivers arn't being abused, they are just complaining. they also are all lying whenever they say all management lies. nothing infuriates me more than hearing that crap from the same few people on brown cafe. if you're here long enough you will see a trend.

come to management if you want to work hard and be recognized for your work. NO JOB is easy at UPS or anywhere. be a driver if you like doing one thing - delivering packages.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
drivers arn't being abused, they are just complaining. they also are all lying whenever they say all management lies. nothing infuriates me more than hearing that crap from the same few people on brown cafe. if you're here long enough you will see a trend.

come to management if you want to work hard and be recognized for your work. NO JOB is easy at UPS or anywhere. be a driver if you like doing one thing - delivering packages.

It's people like you that give the decent management folk a bad name. Every time you post it seems to be something negative or a "just a dumb driver" type of remarks. It pisses me off when people (namely those who don't have any clue about what a driving job entail, yet speak as if they do) say our job is just delivering packages. I wish it was just that simple. We have to clean up messes from the 800 number, dispatch nightmares, sales, and also be a spokesman for the company so to speak (since we are the first and sometimes only contact a customer has with UPS. These are just a few of the other things we do in addition to delivering packages. I am not engaging in a BC pissing match/war but bottom line is this, speak on what you know and not what you think you know. That's as nice as I can put this post. :peaceful:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
were did I say dumb driver? I answered the question. everything you answered involves...well delivering the packages. you can't get promoted, you can't get a raise based on performance - management could be 100 things - HR, finance, sales, operations - whatever.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
were did I say dumb driver? I answered the question. everything you answered involves...well delivering the packages. you can't get promoted, you can't get a raise based on performance - management could be 100 things - HR, finance, sales, operations - whatever.

You imply in virtually every post you make with reference to drivers. I'm not making driving into a glorious job or rocket science and its NO that all those things are involved in package delivery but you don't see me bashing sales for blowing off sales leads, promising unreasonable pick-up times to customers without consulting the driver as to what works for that route, or just sitting on their asses collecting Panera rewards. Bottom line is you could've answered the OPs question without the snarky drivel you spew.

tourists24

and most the time have to be a sales person because the ones we have arent worth a crap half the time

DS

Fenderbender

You are too far removed from it all to see the truth.
Why would we all be liars?
You my friend are delusional .
Carry on.

drivers arn't being abused, they are just complaining. they also are all lying whenever they say all management lies. nothing infuriates me more than hearing that crap from the same few people on brown cafe. if you're here long enough you will see a trend.come to management if you want to work hard and be recognized for your work. NO JOB is easy at UPS or anywhere. be a driver if you like doing one thing - delivering packages.
-1 I think all sales people should be randomly drug tested.

menotyou

bella amicizia
drivers arn't being abused, they are just complaining. they also are all lying whenever they say all management lies. nothing infuriates me more than hearing that crap from the same few people on brown cafe. if you're here long enough you will see a trend.come to management if you want to work hard and be recognized for your work. NO JOB is easy at UPS or anywhere. be a driver if you like doing one thing - delivering packages.
If all you have to do with your day is to watch BC for trends, you REALLY need a life. Besides, when an email is found from a DM detailing how they need to 'thin the herd', then say it doesn't exist- that is a lie.When the have NO evidence any crime was committed, yet try to have you indicted, then say they didn't do it- lie.I could go on and on, but why? You are a troll in sales clothing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

He does have a point here; I will freely admit to knowing virtually nothing about the non-operational aspects of UPS management. UPS might very well be a great management opportunity for someone with the skills and training to pursue a technical, sales or administrative career....as long as they can stay away from the operations side of the business.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I started 22 years ago, and will be retiring in about 3 years. My oncar sup, who started about 10 years ago, told me he cannot retire until 2041! That's 40 years! Love it or hate it, either way that's a no brainer for me.

Did he start when he was 15? Retirement age starts at 55 for most management people.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did he start when he was 15? Retirement age starts at 55 for most management people.
Actually, it starts at 60 if you have 35 years. Otherwise, it starts at 65.
You are assessed a 3% penalty for every year you retire before your eligible retirement age. Early retirement is available at age 55 if you have 10 years in.

I will give you my opinion, but be aware that I have had things occur to me that don't happen all the time.If you have a conscience, don't. I call management school -- soul-sucking school.Again, I am biased.
I haven't and will never see it all but I've seen a lot and I truly believe you.

Integrity

Binge Poster

upssalesguy,

Generally speaking lying is a chronic problem among UPS management employees.

Sincerely,
I