career path: management or driving?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
you are not over dispatched, you are just being told to work harder and to an extent, that hard work is keeping us profitable. wow - we are in it to make a dime. are you willing to take a paycut so the truck next to you can go out 1/4 full?

It all seems so simple and clear from behind a desk.

The real world is a bit more chaotic and complicated. You should consider checking it out someday.

soberups

what kills me is when i walk the boxline and talk to my drivers, i don't get the negativity that i see on here. as a management person, you are constantly forced to defend yourself against a very vocal, and very wrong, minority.

Talk is cheap.

Put some browns on, grab yourself a stack of sales leads, and get your ass out from behind that desk and into the jumpseat of a package car every day for a couple weeks. Get back to us when you have invested some time and sweat out there in the real world actually producing what you sell.

brown_trousers

Talk is cheap.

Put some browns on, grab yourself a stack of sales leads, and get your ass out from behind that desk and into the jumpseat of a package car every day for a couple weeks. Get back to us when you have invested some time and sweat out there in the real world actually producing what you sell.

I don't think giving driving work to sales persons would go over to well with the union. Although I can now see the catch 22 that results from it. We complain that management demands too much and doesn't understand what the work load is really like, but at the same time management is not allowed to actually experience that work load themselves (without violating our contract), so they'll never truly understand.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't think giving driving work to sales persons would go over to well with the union. Although I can now see the catch 22 that results from it. We complain that management demands too much and doesn't understand what the work load is really like, but at the same time management is not allowed to actually experience that work load themselves (without violating our contract), so they'll never truly understand.
So, all those center manager's, on- cars, and dispatchers working can't tell this yahoo how hard it is? Why do you think they go into management? Because they can't do the job!

menotyou

bella amicizia
you are obviously the backbone and intial face of the company, but you really, really need to get off your high horse. it is NOT all your problem. there is a human element to every job function at the company. we all play a role. you should stop looking at sales people as people who just want leads and start looking at us as account manager who get paid based on growth. i'm customer facing too. if you can't quickly fix the issue, who do they call next? upssalespeople.you are not over dispatched, you are just being told to work harder and to an extent, that hard work is keeping us profitable. wow - we are in it to make a dime. are you willing to take a paycut so the truck next to you can go out 1/4 full?what kills me is when i walk the boxline and talk to my drivers, i don't get the negativity that i see on here. as a management person, you are constantly forced to defend yourself against a very vocal, and very wrong, minority.i'm honored to be lumped in with a true upsers like tieguy. whatever happened to him?and as far as my comment, it means stop dogging every management person.
I guess you should stop dogging me. If I find another comment about 'humping', you will understand what 'dogging' really means.As far as 'your' drivers, if they complained- you wouldn't listen. You have demonstrated that here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No one is talking about giving driving work to sales persons. Sober is talking about having the sales persons put on some browns, hop in the jump seat and ride with a driver for a day or two. There is nothing wrong with that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have seen verbal lashings down to PT SUPS that I turned red over just watching. How do you take that and not bash some skulls in? ZERO PRIDE right there.

Why don't you go tell that to a Marine who takes/took much worse from his superiors.
And let me know where and when so I can watch you getting your butt whipped all over the place and watching you cry like a little baby. :wink2:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i do know what over dispatch means, but I also know what whining just because you can does to the moral of everyone involved. of course trucks arn't going out 1/4 full - that was my point.

also, I havent browned up in a while, it's not that I wouldnt (I'm in pretty good shape and actually like the hard work) - but I also have to make a determined number of stops per day as well as a business plan that I must achieve to get my "target salary" my salary is enough to get by on, but my sales incentive plan is what get's me to a salary comparable with yours.

i'm not dogging anyone, except when i'm backed into a corner. complaining about not being able to have a cell phone while working is just plan whining. complaining that you have extra stops becasue it's hot doesn't get a lot of sympathy from me. we're all here to do our job. Did you ever stop to think why they do cut routes? it's to look good when it comes to the paper side of UPS. half this job is staying off a list.

Re-Raise

complaining that you have extra stops becasue it's hot doesn't get a lot of sympathy from me. we're all here to do our job.

I will share your wisdom with others as we discuss our wonderful sales team.

Please stop posting about things you know nothing about.

soberups

...also, I havent browned up in a while, it's not that I wouldnt (I'm in pretty good shape and actually like the hard work) - but I also have to make a determined number of stops per day as well as a business plan that I must achieve to get my "target salary" my salary is enough to get by on, but my sales incentive plan is what get's me to a salary comparable with yours....

I turned in a sales lead a couple of years ago. That gives me about as much insight into the job of a sales rep....as you gain about the driving side of the business by walking the belt and talking to "your" drivers in the morning.

There is a word in the English language called "humility". You should Google it.

soberups

. Did you ever stop to think why they do cut routes? it's to look good when it comes to the paper side of UPS. half this job is staying off a list.

And in order to "look good on paper" and "stay off a list" it has become a perfectly acceptable business plan to spend $50 in order to save a dime...as long as that dime shows up on our report while the $50 shows up on someone elses. Once that sort of "look good at all costs" mentality becomes entrenched within a company, it can be "successfully" run right into the ground. Those of us who actually get our hands dirty generating the revenue and doing the work are seeing a reality that doesnt show up on a list or a report.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I turned in a sales lead a couple of years ago. That gives me about as much insight into the job of a sales rep....as you gain about the driving side of the business by walking the belt and talking to "your" drivers in the morning.

There is a word in the English language called "humility". You should Google it.

ahh no. i talk to the drivers to find the customers that are having issues and see if we can turn it into opportuntites. I say MY drivers because I am assigned to an entire center and they are encouraged to talk to me about anything. i'm not really trying to take ownership of anyone. if you don't think some air grievances to me as a non-operations sounding board - you'd be wrong. they always want to know what it is like in other centers and I hold nothing back.

you have no friend-ing clue why your sales lead might not have sold. you try building a business case for drop dead pricing and fight the internal fight with revenue recovery, operations, and finance. THEN try and break through the tickets to the super bowl that my size customers are getting every year from FedEx.

what does humility have to do with anything? no one plays pattycake at UPS.

Re-Raise

you have no friend-ing clue why your sales lead might not have sold. you try building a business case for drop dead pricing and fight the internal fight with revenue recovery, operations, and finance. THEN try and break through the tickets to the super bowl that my size customers are getting every year from FedEx.

what does humility have to do with anything? no one plays pattycake at UPS.

Are you just answering the voices in your head? I hope you listen to our potential customers better than you read.

Sober never said anything about a sales lead not being sold.

He said talking to a few drivers in the morning doesn't make you an expert on the issues we face, anymore than turning in a sales lead makes us experts in sales.
You really are embarassing the sales people here.

Why don't you wait for a question about sales, or whether glazed doughnuts are better than cream filled before you chime in next time.