Career Potential

nyymt62

I just started working as a Package Handler two weeks ago- and am doing real well. I am really enjoying the job, but I have reached a state of utmost confusion. The Human Resources Director and Supervisors are telling me what a great opportunity this is, and how much potential there is with UPS. But the workers around me are telling me how impossible it is to move up and how dismal the pay is.

I am nineteen years old, currently going into my Sophomore year- as a Business Administration major. The Human Resources Director who hired me told me that the sky is the limit, that I can move up in the company while attaining my degree- then move up even more after attaining my degree. I truly believe him, and think that I will be able to allow my future family to live very comfortably if I continue with the company. However, the workers in my area exude a completely different feeling. They are disgruntled employees to say the least- and completely loathe the job.

My philosophy on it is this- that UPS is a company where people can move up and succeed, but nothing is going to be handed to you. You have to want to move up, and you have to work real hard to do so. On my first full night- I loaded over 450 packages an hour and impressed the supervisors enough so they moved me to a much more difficult trailor. I was hoping you guys would be able to shine some light on the career potential UPS offers, because I am really excited by this company and everything they offer after my first two weeks. Thanks.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Your 3rd paragraph expressing your philosophy says it all. It is a good life and you will put in tons of hours. My hubby started as a driver and left after 28 years as a div. mgr. Advancement happens and your school makes it almost a guarantee in your case.

Most importantly, your attitude is A#1 !! When you do listen to disgruntled employees, consider the source. Good luck and success to you! :)

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Your 3rd paragraph expressing your philosophy says it all. It is a good life and you will put in tons of hours. My hubby started as a driver and left after 28 years as a div. mgr. Advancement happens and your school makes it almost a guarantee in your case.

Most importantly, your attitude is A#1 !! When you do listen to disgruntled employees, consider the source. Good luck and success to you! :)

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Good luck nyymt62, and with your attitude your future success is unlimited.:thumbup1:

trickpony1

It's time to get out the wine and roses.

How many management people have I seen leave and never come back in my 28 years?
How many quit due to the pressure and the inability to make the numbers demanded of them?
How many developed health problems from the stress and long hours?
How many became mindless "yes" men/women?
How many management people are upset because they won't become multi-millionaires like they were promised due to changes in the MIP?
Why do so many of the long-timers that you refer to as "disgruntled" try to discourage you from following the "yellow brick road"?
Why am I still around (as a feeder driver) when I was asked as a PT preloader if I wanted to go into PT management? And, yes, I was going to school and completed my degree. Curiously, none of the supes that were around when I was a preloader are still there! Hmmmm...........

Go ahead and pursue this dream that some manager dangled in front of your nose.

over9five

Staff member
"I loaded over 450 packages an hour and impressed the supervisors..."

Damn, don't do that! You'll be stuck at that job forever. The only way you can move up is by NOT being a hero. In fact, you should probably slow way down. This way, they won't feel that they're losing too valuable a loader by promoting you.

Good luck!

S

sweet19

"I loaded over 450 packages an hour and impressed the supervisors..."

Damn, don't do that! You'll be stuck at that job forever. The only way you can move up is by NOT being a hero. In fact, you should probably slow way down. This way, they won't feel that they're losing too valuable a loader by promoting you.

Good luck!

450 packages an hour -- your kidding, right. I remember when you had to load 800-850. Unload rate was 1200. You guys have barcodes and printed labels now. You have PAS labels. What, are you sleeping in the trailers.

Two weeks is not enough time to know whether your underwear is right for you.

You are young and full of ideas,... not realities. You already know that the people around you are wrong, and that you are right. Yes, attitude does make a big difference in life. A good one will get you through rough times. A bad one might doom you to the end. Then again, every freaking person who came before you had a good attitude about UPS. They had hopes and dreams, too. You seem to think the COLLEGE thing differentiates you from others. Hell, there are package car drivers with master degrees, and managers with GED's.

Maybe you will do well, maybe not. But hell, don't develop too hard-fast an opinion with only two weeks on the job. Likewise, don't discount the drones around either. They just might be all right, and you all wrong. Cause, you know, you are only 19 years old -- no disrespect intended -- just realities, realities, brother.

Working4TheBene's

Hey nyymt62... It's a funny thing. Some people are happy just loading and unloading. I know people that have been doing just that for over 10 years and have no plans of leaving. And there are some that are just better chiefs than indians (not to say one is better than the other). Its all about responsibility and how much of it you are willing to take on. It's like all large companies, there are opportunities around but you have to be willing to take the chances if you want them. Of course it isn't going to be easy, but then again, what is? No venture, no gain.

25yrvet

Sounds like you have some good things going for you:
1 Work ethic
2 Good attitude
3 Persueing a 4 year degree

I would suggest staying right where you are at with the company and concentrating on getting your 4 yr degree. After learning the ropes (for a year or two) by watching & asking the right questions consider going into pt mgt. For many of us, mgt at ups wasn't an option; not because we weren't quality people. But far and away your top priority is the degree!

Working4TheBene's

At me center, there are several supervisors that are in college/university and working towards a degree. I would say that you should stay and work as an hourly for at least a while before submitting your letter of intention for a supervisor position. Its kinda of putting in your dues, sort of speaking.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Yeah, slow down and give the job more than two weeks, you'll be disgruntled and realize there is no where to go....Good luck.

It's time to get out the wine and roses.

How many management people have I seen leave and never come back in my 28 years?
How many quit due to the pressure and the inability to make the numbers demanded of them?
How many developed health problems from the stress and long hours?
How many became mindless "yes" men/women?
How many management people are upset because they won't become multi-millionaires like they were promised due to changes in the MIP?
Why do so many of the long-timers that you refer to as "disgruntled" try to discourage you from following the "yellow brick road"?
Why am I still around (as a feeder driver) when I was asked as a PT preloader if I wanted to go into PT management? And, yes, I was going to school and completed my degree. Curiously, none of the supes that were around when I was a preloader are still there! Hmmmm...........

Go ahead and pursue this dream that some manager dangled in front of your nose.

Here's a fine example of a disgruntled employee. Anyone with common sense that feels this negative about a company would look elsewhere but there's always some that feel it's necessary stay and blame others for their misery. As you can see in this post, this person has an axe to grind with management so he ignorantly lumps them all into the same category and tries to discourage other's from aspiring to move up. My advice, ignore these types of condescending responses. If someone can give you factual reasons against staying, take notice of those as they're probably trying to be helpful but you'll have to make the decision based on your situation since you've only been aboard for two weeks.
We can see that you've got a good attitude and seem motivated. As someone mentioned, that may change but you never know. This is a good company and to give Trick a bit of credit, I would agree that it's not the company it used to be and faces will change pretty often but it's still a great company (which is probably why he hasn't left).... All I would say is stick it out and do your best. You can look at the UPS Management Committee from UPS.com and see that (I believe) 8 of the 12 members started as part timers while attending college just like yourself. If at some point you have a better offer or become unhappy at UPS, look for another opportunity that will make you happy. Otherwise you may find yourself 20 years from now, angry and posting anti-company messages on a web site where a new employee is looking for career advice.....JMHO

crzy4trucks

AM Preloader
They may have a point about people having a degree in the same crap as everyone else, But you still have an advantage by having a degree. Get your Degree... Focus on UPS later.
If you can do both, More power to you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They may have a point about people having a degree in the same crap as everyone else, But you still have an advantage by having a degree. Get your Degree... Focus on UPS later.
If you can do both, More power to you.

EXCELLENT POST,
No matter where you go or what you decide to do, a degree is to your advantage. An associate now is like a hs diploma used to be. Whether you ever use it or not, it will never hurt you. If you have it your goals are unlimited, and UPS is not the only company hiring, or necesarily the best one for you.

Working4TheBene's

So True. A degree is extremely important nowadays in order to get ahead. But... on the flip side its crucial to have on-hands work experience as well. That's why I think UPS is a great opportunity for a lot of people... if you can hack doing the work - its physical and sometimes mental because it can be monotenous. The best of both worlds is to work at UPS while you get tuition reimbursement and go to a college/university to get a degree... that why when you graduate, you'll have real world experience and a good education.

rngri4

450 packages an hour -- your kidding, right. I remember when you had to load 800-850. Unload rate was 1200. You guys have barcodes and printed labels now. You have PAS labels. What, are you sleeping in the trailers.

Two weeks is not enough time to know whether your underwear is right for you.

You are young and full of ideas,... not realities. You already know that the people around you are wrong, and that you are right. Yes, attitude does make a big difference in life. A good one will get you through rough times. A bad one might doom you to the end. Then again, every freaking person who came before you had a good attitude about UPS. They had hopes and dreams, too. You seem to think the COLLEGE thing differentiates you from others. Hell, there are package car drivers with master degrees, and managers with GED's.

Maybe you will do well, maybe not. But hell, don't develop too hard-fast an opinion with only two weeks on the job. Likewise, don't discount the drones around either. They just might be all right, and you all wrong. Cause, you know, you are only 19 years old -- no disrespect intended -- just realities, realities, brother.

Reread the post before you reply, thats is what he loaded, the numbers you quote are unload numbers not load numbers...

P

PulmanOrBust

Someone mentioned something about becoming a mindless yes man/woman. Good grief, unfortunately that is often so true. My advice? Work hard, work on your education, keep your attitude up and DON'T SPEND WHAT YOU MAKE! UPS is a great place to eventually work up to a great salary, but so often people spend what they make and they are then so in debt all they can do is be a yes man/woman out of fear of loosing their jobs. Always keep the option open to be able to quit for what you believe in or get fired for what you believe in, for that matter.

DS

Fenderbender
UPS can be a good place to work.Their problems mostly stem from upper management making decisions that affect lower management and us hard working hourly employees. I think the reason that the opinions offered to you are so diversifed ,is because you have all types of upsers giving you advice here.Lots of us in here,dont want to ever go into mngmt, but just like having a steady job and actually believe the excercise is a benefit .Some people in mngmt will go to extremes to prove that they are the boss and they are always right.Those ones usually get transfered to some far off destination.Good mngmt is hard to come by at UPS.So get your degree,courtesy of UPS and make your decision after youve
put some UPS time behind you.Then take a good look around before you commit for life. you seem intelligent...you may even end up a driver:wink:

beentheredonethat

I am nineteen years old, currently going into my Sophomore year- as a Business Administration major. The Human Resources Director who hired me told me that the sky is the limit, that I can move up in the company while attaining my degree- then move up even more after attaining my degree. I truly believe him, and think that I will be able to allow my future family to live very comfortably if I continue with the company. However, the workers in my area exude a completely different feeling. They are disgruntled employees to say the least- and completely loathe the job.

My philosophy on it is this- that UPS is a company where people can move up and succeed, but nothing is going to be handed to you. You have to want to move up, and you have to work real hard to do so. On my first full night- I loaded over 450 packages an hour and impressed the supervisors enough so they moved me to a much more difficult trailor. I was hoping you guys would be able to shine some light on the career potential UPS offers, because I am really excited by this company and everything they offer after my first two weeks. Thanks.

A couple of things that I'd suggest. Like most people on the board, stay in school and finish your degree. Ideally, stay and get your masters, nowadays a bachelors doesn't mean the same as it did 10-20 years ago. You need a masters. Second, there are some great mgrs out there who take their people and promote them, there are others who keep them either because, A, they think they're not superman, so shouldn't be given a goahed for FT mgmt, or B, they are great PT supvs and don't want to lose them. Therefore, if you think about PT supv, check out what the other PT supvs in your building have seen for upward mobility. Like I said, in some areas the mgmt team helps them out, in others they don't. If you do decide to go higher, and don't want operations PT supv job, see if they are hiring people for staff functions such as Finance if that is what your major is. At the very least, you get some finance experience for a fortune 500 company which looks great on a resume. If you do well, you can get in as a FT after graduation (hopefully). In any event, get your degree. If it works out great, if it doesn't you'll at least have your degree and a job on your resume.

mittam

UPS does have a lot to offer how long do you plan to be part-time as a sup? remember a driver ( full-time) has a lateral move to full-time sup so they can get it before you company does have some good positions it's a matter of waiting it out, oh and don't plan on staying in the center you are currently in they will move you as they please