cartage guy here question for you brown guys?

wizard

Are you guys allowed to request a day off with out pay? I dont have a lot of vacation time and sometimes i need a day off and dont want to burn the vacation day. I only have 10 vacation days. Also was wondering if you guys heard that they are trying to roll us into your contract for 2008?

wizard

Interesting I requested a wop this past monday for today and was denied and there were no drivers off? My supervisor said ups doesnt give days off with out pay. Its been crazy since we joined you guys I mean all the rules and the meetings in the morning about nothing. Seems like they are making things up as we go along.

wizard

I was told if I call in and have used up all 10 of my personal/sick days I will be written up even it is only 1 day I call in. They said it is a progression of write ups and then possible termination and report in your file.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Interesting I requested a wop this past monday for today and was denied and there were no drivers off? My supervisor said ups doesnt give days off with out pay. Its been crazy since we joined you guys I mean all the rules and the meetings in the morning about nothing. Seems like they are making things up as we go along.

i was told RTO can be paid or unpaid. if i don't wanna burn one of sick days i just tell the cleark not to pay me for that day.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I was told if I called in I'd be written up. I just started as an inside employee at the end of January. I asked for my BIRTHDAY off and they refused. I looked at the supervisor that denied it and said, "You seriously think I'm gonna show?" She walked away. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Ah -the old walk away trick. That one must be on page one of the management handbook.

Should be in the same paragraph as the rule "don't start an argument with an hourly unless you know you'll win." Her reason for the denial? "If I give you the day off, I won't have enough staff. I have people on vacation." She beat a hasty retreat within moments of giving that excuse. By the way, my sort runs Sunday-Thursday and my birthday happens to fall on Easter Sunday. Hmmmm...to call in or work??:lol: I'm trying to decide if I want to fight this one with my management or not. -Rocky

Just Lurking

Are you guys allowed to request a day off with out pay? I dont have a lot of vacation time and sometimes i need a day off and dont want to burn the vacation day. I only have 10 vacation days. Also was wondering if you guys heard that they are trying to roll us into your contract for 2008?

Rumor is yes. Whether it is good or bad for both/one/neither of us depends on how the company would effect keeping us mor separate or combing operations.

tieguy

Banned
theres a cost associated with giving you all those days off in addition to the vacation, personal and sick days. You're either hiring more people to cover them and then paying benis for someone that is not consistently working everyday.

I was told if I called in I'd be written up. I just started as an inside employee at the end of January. I asked for my BIRTHDAY off and they refused. I looked at the supervisor that denied it and said, "You seriously think I'm gonna show?" She walked away. -Rocky

Rocky you rebel, All joking aside our center posts available "RLO`s" by the day and week,all by seniority. As far as an unpaid personal day I`ve never seen anyone have a problem if it was asked for far enough in advance. Obviously there are some days that were off limits,like the mon after the superbowl (nice job Bears),but mgmt has been resonable about it. It`s more that they would rather have you ask so it can be planned for than call in at the last min.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky you rebel, All joking aside our center posts available "RLO`s" by the day and week,all by seniority. As far as an unpaid personal day I`ve never seen anyone have a problem if it was asked for far enough in advance. Obviously there are some days that were off limits,like the mon after the superbowl (nice job Bears),but mgmt has been resonable about it. It`s more that they would rather have you ask so it can be planned for than call in at the last min.

Yes, I AM a rebel, hence the "Rogue" in my name, CACH lol.

All joking aside, I told my boss if he'd give me the 15th off for a family function, I'd guarantee I'd show for the Easter Sunday sort (that is my birthday, too). Guess what? He refused to schedule me off, saying he'll get in trouble if he codes too many people off for one day and they can't run enough volume. I grunted and started to protest when he said, "Call in. You have three in a thirteen week period." He can bet his a** I'll call in. I'll say something along the lines of, "R, this is D. I'm calling in, as per our discussion the other day. Any questions, my cell number is..." and hang up. I'll refuse to sign that write-up if he comes around. As I've said before, I don't sign insulting or inaccurate write-ups. His refusal to schedule me off isn't my fault, particularly not almost a month in advance. -Rocky

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Tie, agreed. That's why you can get the days now when not as many are on vacation. They want to keep everyone that is collecting the bennies working.
Now in summer when you would actually like an extra day off, good luck.

wizard

Tie an Monster we have 17 drivers at our center and 12 routes guys are standing around and pushing a broom most of the time.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
If he can only schedule so many people off on any given day it should be by seniority as always.

No mention was made of seniority. I was asked if I had any optional days, which I don't because I'm so new. Personally...I think the "vacation" claim is a bunch of BS but I could be wrong. Scheduling one guy off is gonna tip the balance? Sorry, I think not. I have a wedding at the end of April, so maybe he's trying to send a message about asking for too many scheduled days off. ::::Shrugs:::. Regardless, as I said, if he writes me up for the following Sunday as I did give plenty of notice I needed the day off...it'll be one very unhappy Rocky.

We have a very bad attendance problem (not including me in that...I haven't missed a day yet). Scheduling me off for Easter would hurt because so many people will call in. The following week...we have a very bad Sunday attendance problem in general. Somebody told me shortly after I started, "There was a Sunday where we had 80 call-ins." This is on a planned full staffing of about 135, I think. It could be a long Easter Sunday! -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
No mention was made of seniority. I was asked if I had any optional days, which I don't because I'm so new. Personally...I think the "vacation" claim is a bunch of BS but I could be wrong. Scheduling one guy off is gonna tip the balance? Sorry, I think not. I have a wedding at the end of April, so maybe he's trying to send a message about asking for too many scheduled days off. ::::Shrugs:::. Regardless, as I said, if he writes me up for the following Sunday as I did give plenty of notice I needed the day off...it'll be one very unhappy Rocky.

We have a very bad attendance problem (not including me in that...I haven't missed a day yet). Scheduling me off for Easter would hurt because so many people will call in. The following week...we have a very bad Sunday attendance problem in general. Somebody told me shortly after I started, "There was a Sunday where we had 80 call-ins." This is on a planned full staffing of about 135, I think. It could be a long Easter Sunday! -Rocky

Its usually the guys generating the unplanned abscences that screw it up for the guys trying to plan to be off. Sups afraid to make the committment to give you off in case he has others who surprise him by calling out without notice.