CB Radio

SuperNova

Hello, Im a Package Handler in Delaware and I am going to Become a driver sometime next year. I am a CB radio operator and I was wondering if UPS trucks usually have a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" outlet. I used to drive for a private delivery service and used a different truck every day. It came in handy for avoiding heavy traffic and getting any information I might need. I have a small box with my CB radio, and am/fm radio built in. it has a 12 volt plug. I have a clamp on mirror mount antenna. I know were not supposed to wire anything so If there is a 12 volt plug, that would work. any comments will be appriciated.

--Kevin

GOTCHEVY

I'm not sure about a cigarette lighter but they do have a positive and negative terminal with nuts that clamp down on the wires. Most of the feeder drivers I know have the same set up you do.

rod

Retired 22 years
How DARE you even think about STEALING UPS's 12 volt electricity for your own enjoyment of a CB radio. Feeder drivers are allowed to have them to bullship on all night (as in 10-4 good buddy) but wiring a personal CB or any other electronics in a package car is a BIG no no. I retired 5 years ago and none of the package cars in our center had a cig plugin in them but maybe the newer style ones nowdays do. (don't tell anyone but I ran a radio for many years that I rigged with alilgator clips to hook up to a hot wire).I suggest that you don't start messing with wires the first day you start driving. Good luck. (Oh by the way- that line about STEALING UPS's electricity came from a center manager during an AM). morning meeting

SmithBarney

How DARE you even think about STEALING UPS's 12 volt electricity for your own enjoyment of a CB radio. Feeder drivers are allowed to have them to bullship on all night (as in 10-4 good buddy) but wiring a personal CB or any other electronics in a package car is a BIG no no. I retired 5 years ago and none of the package cars in our center had a cig plugin in them but maybe the newer style ones nowdays do. (don't tell anyone but I ran a radio for many years that I rigged with alilgator clips to hook up to a hot wire).I suggest that you don't start messing with wires the first day you start driving. Good luck. (Oh by the way- that line about STEALING UPS's electricity came from a center manager during an AM). morning meeting

Actually the contract allowes for a transistor radio in a package car.
I would say 95% of our permanent drivers have a radio.

retired2000

yes, you can have a radio in the car but do not hot wire it as you are stealing ups power. we had a driver who ran the battery down and when our sup found out they tried to fire him.

yeldarb

our mechanics will make you a hot wire if you ask them. After you write it up, they will often respond they are not allowed, but miraculously you have a new wire. Our building has about 250 drivers, and probably 50% have radios. When we are being audited, we will get a message, stating to unhook any package powered radios.

trickpony1

Once again, stealing the company's power has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The management person who thought of this should be fired for stealing the air that a decent, intelligent person could be breathing.

An alternator/generator produces power continuously. The flow of "power" is regulated by the regulator, hence the name.

I don't think an am/fm radio will run the battery down unless it is left on overnight which I seriously doubt a pkg car would be sitting still that long.

Is this new guy gonna have enough time to "bullship" on a CB? Wouldn't he have more important things to be doing?

rushfan

I don't see when you would have the time to talk on the radio, except during lunch (if you have time to). Also, where would you run the coax, and mount the antenna. I see they do it on the feeder tractors, but I've never seen a cb in a package car.

SmithBarney

Super Nova, if your one of the people who think all we do is "drive around
all day" you might want to reconsider driving a package car. Don't worry
about traffic jams, you'll probably be causing most of them. You'll stop every
couple minutes if that. So most likely the wreck you see up the street will be
cleared by the time you get to them...(after you deliever 100 pieces to all the
businesses on your current block) Ask for a cell phone power point, it'll get
installed(you may have to provide one $4 at walmart) then you can plug in
whatever you want. But being a new driver you'll probably be a coverage
driver, meaning that you won't be in the same truck day each week(or day)
So unless you have lots of ciggy lighter outlets you want to have installed...
get some batteries for whatever... the best you'll get with a CB is hearing a
few words here and there, if you can hear anything over the engine noise.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
This is kind of like the temp drivers that get rentals this time of year. "Hey its got a radio!" and all the regular guys are like "Too bad you won't be in the truck long enough to listen to it". Definitely not enough time to yak on a CB to avoid traffic jams that don't exist on the alleys and side streets you guys crawl around on all day.

SuperNova

I've been a seasonal jumper for the past 3 seasons, and going on 4 this season. so Im not as "new" as some of you think. when im in my personal car, i mostly listen in for traffic info and emergency reports. I don't "bullship". I bust my ass at what i do cuz i want a driver position, and thats the best way to get it. After im a driver, ill continue to bust my ass because I want to be the best I can be. I'm not some "junior new guy" who thinks any driver is probably a lollygagger and has time for any bullship. So please dont treat me as such. For the folks who made constructive suggestions, thank you very much. my driver had a "cell phone outlet" put in and we got my cb hooked up. its got a fiberglass antenna under the roof in the cab section. the supervisor said it was ok so its good enough for me. there was a 3 mile backup that we avoided on friday so any of you who think a cb in the package car is a waste of time, think again.