Cellphone and Bluetooth?

UPSGUY72

So our new center manager is really tripping. We as package drivers can't wear Bluetooth and are being told that we must leave our phones in the back of our trucks. Is there a true policy via UPS? Or is this the after peak flavor of the month?

What the hell did people do before cell phones.....

UPSGUY72

...they would be handed a note at a pickup stop telling them to call the center...

We have the DIAD I understand what happen before the DIAD. But in general not specifically talking about call the center. What the hell is so important that people can't wait till later... I can see if there is an emergency.......

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I don't own a cell phone and never plan on owning one. I still make it just fine throughout the day just like I did before cell phones were the norm. What in the heck does everyone find to talk about? I am mystified as to why everyone thinks they have to be connected to a phone 24/7. Management hates the fact that I am the only driver that does not have a cell phone and they can't contact me or have me contact them whenever they deem it necessary. When they need something done, it is easier for them to contact another driver they can call on his cell rather than have to message me and wait till I message them back. Not having a phone has saved me much grief during the day. I can assure you that if I did own one, it would never be used to take care of UPS business.

I have customers ask me all the time for my cell number. They are shocked when I tell them I don't have one. They would much rather call me direct to pick up a package than have to call UPS and pay a p/u charge. Except now, we have no way to enter a non scheduled p/u in our diad so we just get screwed for the time we lose. Thats another reason I don't own a cell phone. I am not going to lie and tell them I don't have a cell and it takes too much time to try and explain why they need to call in for a pick-up.

I guess most people enjoy being connected during the day or being able to stay in touch, but I'll pass. I hate phones and usually don't even answer my home phone unless it is someone from my immediate family.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Why,why why its called progress There is a lot of things we don't need, but anything that's makes my life easier I'm for. i.e. TV remote. garage door opener ,heated seats, the internet for BC and my cell phone.
I'm lost when I don’t have it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I don't own a cell phone and never plan on owning one. I still make it just fine throughout the day just like I did before cell phones were the norm. What in the heck does everyone find to talk about? I am mystified as to why everyone thinks they have to be connected to a phone 24/7. Management hates the fact that I am the only driver that does not have a cell phone and they can't contact me or have me contact them whenever they deem it necessary. When they need something done, it is easier for them to contact another driver they can call on his cell rather than have to message me and wait till I message them back. Not having a phone has saved me much grief during the day. I can assure you that if I did own one, it would never be used to take care of UPS business.

I have customers ask me all the time for my cell number. They are shocked when I tell them I don't have one. They would much rather call me direct to pick up a package than have to call UPS and pay a p/u charge. Except now, we have no way to enter a non scheduled p/u in our diad so we just get screwed for the time we lose. Thats another reason I don't own a cell phone. I am not going to lie and tell them I don't have a cell and it takes too much time to try and explain why they need to call in for a pick-up.

I guess most people enjoy being connected during the day or being able to stay in touch, but I'll pass. I hate phones and usually don't even answer my home phone unless it is someone from my immediate family.

I hate phones too, but as 104Feeder says, it sometimes helps when you drive on the interstate at night to talk to someone when you get tired. Like talking on the CB, it really does keep you alert and awake. I had my Parrot headset on the whole night a few weeks ago during the blizzard, getting updates from the guys ahead of me. And no matter what you think of cell phones, you better have one handy if you drive nights in feeders. If your equipment breaks down, especially in the winter, you want to be able to get the SOS rolling.

Ms.PacMan

I've never had a cell phone either. DIAD messages work just fine. There is a phone at every business and every p/u for me to use if I need to call the center or another driver. If they ask me to call while doing resi's I ask if they want me to break off and call. The reply is usually nevermind or they text me a question. I leave the DIAD in the back of the truck at lunch - I think this irritates them more than me not having a cell phone.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I've never had a cell phone either. DIAD messages work just fine. There is a phone at every business and every p/u for me to use if I need to call the center or another driver. If they ask me to call while doing resi's I ask if they want me to break off and call. The reply is usually nevermind or they text me a question. I leave the DIAD in the back of the truck at lunch - I think this irritates them more than me not having a cell phone.

You should try what I did, turn off the radio and gps communication in the DIAD during lunch, That really gets them going.

Ms.PacMan

You should try what I did, turn off the radio and gps communication in the DIAD during lunch, That really gets them going.
:) Because mgmt cell phones are company phones they all have a long distance number - I can't make a long distance call from a customer's phone so they actually have to be in the bldg for me to talk to them.

For me it's a personal choice (I'm cheap) but I can see how handy one would be sometimes.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I carry a bluetooth and talk on my cell phone all day long.
If I didn't recharge them both at lunch, they wouldn't last the whole day.
As Over9.5 already stated; if it isn't against the law in your state, your center manager is trippin.
...or you are hypnotized.:hypnosis:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I carry a bluetooth and talk on my cell phone all day long.
If I didn't recharge them both at lunch, they wouldn't last the whole day.
As Over9.5 already stated; if it isn't against the law in your state, your center manager is trippin.
...or you are hypnotized.:hypnosis:

Who the he'll do you talk to? I find myself too busy delivering packages to talk on the phone. I like texting the best. Short and sweet and to the point. By the way, where you been?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Who the he'll do you talk to? I find myself too busy delivering packages to talk on the phone. I like texting the best. Short and sweet and to the point. By the way, where you been?

1. I talk to whoever calls.

2. I am busy delivering packages also, but the whole premise of the Bluetooth earpiece is that it keeps your hands free and your head on a swivel to drive and handle packages. For me, it's really not much of a challenge to do both. I do however go silent on the person who's on the phone when I am interacting with a customer.

3. I like to text also for the reason you outlined. Concise and subject specific, less avenue for digression.

4. I've been around reading and lurking, not posting much. Trying to become more vanilla. Kind of my little Christmas present to the Mods, but it isn't going to work out.